Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Utah Lighten Its Liquor Laws?
Yes 16 72.73%
No 3 13.64%
Maybe 1 4.55%
Later On 0 0%
I Don't Know/Don't Care 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 04:03 PM

51 posts, read 79,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
a lot of folks don't care and make the border run anyway. on a weekend check out the license plates in the liquor store lots in cities just over the border. it's just another weekend errand to run.
But its still illegal. Even though it shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 04:31 PM

324 posts, read 960,881 times
My perspective is a bit different. I currently live in Nebraska, but visit often, and plan to retire to Utah. So, I do have a dog in this fight.

I enjoy wine. Not mass consumption of wine in a single sitting, I appreciate all the subtleties that make wine wine. to that end, my cellar has a ratio of different wine to the total number of bottles that is much higher than the average cellar. In order to do that it requires access to on-line wine sales (any geographic area is subject to the wines the local distributors decide to carry if buying retail). Based on what I see from the Utah legislature, I don't see allowing wine shipments direct to the consumer happening any time soon.

The other laws, which I find "amusing" don't impact me greatly.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:12 PM

28,043 posts, read 29,864,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrape View Post
Nearly $19 Billion in tourist money in Colorado. If Utah had loose liquor laws, we could easily top that.
You're quite the expert on most everything, aren't you Capt'n? I sit and read your posts and can't help but wonder about the person who's writing them. I won't say any more than that.

A change in the liquor laws probably would make some difference, but there are a lot of factors involved that you just don't seem to get. Hell, maybe the tourists aren't coming here because our skylines suck. Yeah, in thinking about it, we really need to change our liquor laws and our skylines -- bring them up to a 21st century standard, and those tourist dollars will just come rolling in.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:27 PM

51 posts, read 79,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're quite the expert on most everything, aren't you Capt'n? I sit and read your posts and can't help but wonder about the person who's writing them. I won't say any more than that.

A change in the liquor laws probably would make some difference, but there are a lot of factors involved that you just don't seem to get. Hell, maybe the tourists aren't coming here because our skylines suck. Yeah, in thinking about it, we really need to change our liquor laws and our skylines -- bring them up to a 21st century standard, and those tourist dollars will just come rolling in.
Did you see the post I quoted? It had a link to an article specifying Colorado's tourism profit. I don't know whats so weird. Oh and stop making fun of me, at least I am not over 70 years old and spend all my time on the City-Data Forum. Unlike someone.

Last edited by CaptainCrape; 11-16-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-16-2015, 09:08 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,805,949 times
If I have to pull this car over...

Bill

Old 11-16-2015, 09:10 PM

28,043 posts, read 29,864,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrape View Post
Did you see the post I quoted? It had a link to an article specifying Colorado's tourism profit. I don't know whats so weird. Oh and stop making fun of me, at least I am not over 70 years old and spend all my time on the City-Data Forum. Unlike someone.
Oh, you're clearly not over 70. You're likely not over 20. However old you or anyone else on the forum is doesn't matter in the slightest. I'm simply making an observation as to how you come across to those of us who have a few more years of experience than you do. It's all bravado and fault-finding with you. That and bad-mouthing the moderators. Not a real brilliant move, Captain.

Last edited by Katzpur; 11-16-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 06:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,915,315 times
Yes, of course they must change. No reason not too.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:49 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,805,949 times
Something to consider...

I've lived on and off in Utah (and the West) for over 40 years. During that time, Utah's liquor laws have significantly loosened up. Now, I'm not going to claim the changes have been swift or timely - but they have occurred on a regular, progressive basis. And, they'll continue to change - but probably not as fast as people want them to change. I'm most likely preaching to the choir - but this is typical of life in Utah. You learn to either flow with it or it will drive you crazy. Change occurs in Utah at a slower pace, which should not surprise anyone.

Now, having said the above, I'm not saying to give up on change. If you're not happy with the liquor laws, by all means write and email your representatives. Check for legislative meetings and give them a piece of your mind. Become part of the solution.

Bill

Old 11-18-2015, 04:03 PM

388 posts, read 547,414 times
And start brewing your own beer for kegging. SL area is very home brew friendly.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:26 PM

914 posts, read 970,815 times
In a word yes!I think the laws should be changed & Costco should be allowed to sell alcohol like it does in other states. Utah could reap the rewards of extra $$ in state rather than it going elsewhere. It is a social thing for many and not as clean cut as abstaining or getting hammered drunk. Most people everywhere else in the world/country manage social drinking in a responsible manner and as part of an evening out. To buy it in grocery stores would be far better especially as others say if you don't live near a liquor store and only beer is on offer at a grocery store. It doesn't affect me too much as I live close to at least 2 state stores but annoying you cannot buy anything other than beer on a Sunday and at concerts at Usana only beer is on offer!, I am not a beer drinker and that's the only thing on offer when a lot of other venues you are allowed liquor or at least a glass of wine!
Not everyone wants to drink beer! . Most people in Utah already manage to go out and be sensible or drink at home in a sensible manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah