Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 04:39 PM

16 posts, read 30,717 times

Advertisements

I want to move to Moab for the summer. I've been looking a little bit but I'm having a hard time finding rentals that aren't hotels or nightly/weekly rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,853 times
Sounds like you checked it out and know what you're up against. My wife and I go to Moab regularly (and are looking at property there). It's got a strong seasonal tourist vibe - everybody seemingly wants to be there April through October. And, it shows in the numbers.

Getting a place to live in Moab during peak season is doable - but at significantly greater cost. I've known a few Snowbirds who've bought old trailers/RV's and parked them on a monthly basis at out-lying campgrounds to save money. Then, when they've had enough, they just sell the trailer to someone else who wants to do the same thing.

I hope it works out for you. Moab is one of my favorite places in the West. One of the things I like about living in SLC is it's just a 4-hour drive to Moab's 4x4 heaven.

Me and my JK-8 on Moab's White Rim - 3 months ago.

Bill

Old 01-14-2016, 04:13 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Having lived in Moab for six years, just moving last year, affordable housing was next to impossible to find. Many of the outfitters actually had mobile homes converted to separate rooms for their summer employees who primarily came down from SLC colleges.

The hotels basically rob people visiting and usually fill up during most of the months. The monthly rentals are very expensive and usually, it is 3-4 or more people or families will rent a place. The owners make a fortune and most is made from Easter to the end of October.

You can disperse camp on BLM managed property for a max of 14 days consecutively, then you have to move, I believe 30 miles, to another area. But in most of the area that is not policed that strictly since there is only four BLM rangers for the Canyon County District what encompasses Moab and Monticello.

However, it is enforced in BLM run campgrounds, which there are plenty in the area and many have a camp host, either right on site at a particular campground or who looks after a few in the area. And they will let a Ranger know if someone remains over the limit.

There are plenty of sate land locations, all around the area that they don't seem to care how long you camp there. One is area is off Willow Flats that is north of Hwy 313 and runs east toward the northern part of Arches. It is state land for quite a way and you will see a lot of people camping there. The road eventually turns into BLM land for a short distance than into Arches NP.

And there are plenty of private campgrounds, but even the out of the way locations do a great business during the summer months.

There are a few, rather run down but liveable mobile home parks in and around Moab. One just across the from the Hospital is the nicest, they might have rentals...not sure. Another one down where Spanish Valley forks off of Mill Creek on the south side; more run down, but they also have a small travel trailer parking area.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 7,575 times
Hello!

You are looking at the right time- get housing while its hot (cold)!! Unfortunately Moab does not have a craigslist page, they do have a local advertiser:
Moab Ad-Vertiser Classified Ads
check back every week its updated early in the week.. I had real trouble finding housing last summer. I ended up living with two snowboarders I found by posting a flyer in the co-op from SLC who totally ripped me off and kicked me out. Not cool folks to live with. There are also facebook pages that may be helpful. I totally stumbled into a good thing by accident very late in the season. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2016, 12:01 PM

8,498 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Moab in the summer? Better like heat. Averages 95 days with highs over 90 degrees. Last summer had a 15 day stretch where it was over 100 for 14 of them. Moab appeals to me more in spring, fall and I'd take most of winter over the peak heat and crowds of summer too.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:32 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
But it is a dry heat, and there is more to that then people realize! After living in countries like Laos, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and even the state of Tennessee where temps hit the high 90s and humidity is the same number, 100 in the desert was actually enjoyable.

But when living there, Dec and Jan were the best months SINCE THERE WERE BARELY ANY TOURISTS!

Old 04-14-2016, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 15,043 times
I live in Moab, and currently renting a small apartment, two bedroom, one bathroom, with living room and a kitchen with a covered patio and a single garage for $1k. The housing market is just right down outrageous for what they're asking for within Moab and Spanish Valley. The season is just kicking off, right after the Safari week madness. What do you plan to do here for the summer?

Old 04-20-2016, 11:23 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
The pic is great, f5!

MSR

Old 05-01-2016, 10:46 AM

246 posts, read 320,730 times
If you don't mind the hour drive, I'm sure you could find something in Green River.

I used to do some work in Green River and Moab and preferred staying in Green River over Moab. Hotels are cheaper. Ray's. I could walk on the golf course virtually anytime I wanted.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:49 PM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Try Monticello, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah