Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 647 times

Advertisements

It depends on what city you live in. Odgen has certain areas that are conservative and areas that are more liberal. South Ogden is a little more liberal. Also a great area is Millcreek City of Utah. It's a very liberal area with good values. Moderator cut: no campaigning

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-16-2016 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 02:02 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,828,053 times
I do not understand how Utah is so conservative. I mean socially it is very conservative, but it is far more moderate then other western state's on fiscal issues.

Utah has a 5% income tax. Which is higher then Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico. Nevada and Wyoming have no income tax.

Utah has moderate property taxes compared to other western cities. I can tell you that people in Colorado Springs and Las Vegas would never vote for the higher property rates that people in Ogden pay.

Utah spends alot on infrastructure and public education compared to other states. Compare the conditions of the roads in Utah to Colorado. Compare to public universities in Utah compared to Arizona. Its easy to see which one funds the infrastructure more.

Utah has a large public-funded commuter rail system that is government owned. One of the few low populated state's to have such an extensive infrastructure.

Many people go to universities in Utah because the state spends much more per-capita then other western states on higher education.

Another thing about Utah is that is the most evenly distributed income scale of any state in America. Ogden has the smallest income disparity of rich and poor of any metro area in America. I am sure that if one looks at welfare spending per resident in poverty the state looks better then other state's because it has such a low poverty rate.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:32 AM

246 posts, read 317,259 times
I call Utah "fiscally responsible" to separate them from those who call themselves "fiscally conservative" but would run huge deficits by cutting taxes.

One thing I saw there, working as a State employee, was that the Leg kept trying to get rid of the State pension system. But because they had always fully funded the pension, it was always determined to be more expensive to drop it. If they had mismanaged it, like California, it would have been cheaper to abandon it and adopt a new retirement system.

On the other hand, there are also a lot of counties and towns, like Tooele County, who hadn't raised taxes in 30 years. Then they were faced with the choice of cutting essential services or raising taxes during the recession. And there were guys I knew at sewer districts that received death threats because they raised property taxes by less than $1/month on the average house in their district.

I will say that Utah's commuter rail & light rail systems look a whole lot better than what I see of Washington's around the Seattle area. However, their bus system looks more robust than UTA's. I'm a heavy user of Washington's ferry system.

One thing that does help Utah's public infrastructure system is that it is highly urbanized state. Over 80% of Utahns live within 100 miles of Salt Lake. Most states don't have that kind of core population density.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:50 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,881,988 times
Like post #2 said, ultra-conservative. There are pockets of normal, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah