Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,617 times

Advertisements

Hi we are buying a home in Cedar City and would love to meet up with other Jewish families.
Allison
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddknyc View Post
I see that your message is several years old already but in case you're here and still get messages from this site, we (my family & I) recently moved to CC. Don't know any other jews here but please feel free to contact us if you want.

david
We are jewish and we are planning a move to Cedar City. Please let us know how it's going there. It would be great to know other jews.

Shalom!

Old 02-25-2013, 10:15 AM

154 posts, read 309,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashia Pfeffer View Post
We are jewish and we are planning a move to Cedar City. Please let us know how it's going there. It would be great to know other jews.

Shalom!
same here but we are looking at St George. Challah!

Just curious.. what's bringing you guys to Utah? We're looking at Utah because of the beauty, the politics, the safety, lower population, low cost of living and the outdoor activities. My wife works from home and I plan on getting setup to do the same.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:15 AM

600 posts, read 1,933,529 times
I am not Jewish but I came here because my wife is from here and I like the beauty and lower population.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,451,534 times
We moved here to the Salt Lake Valley 22 years ago - My spouse is Jewish - but by no means religious... just as I was born Catholic - but I don't practice either. We came here for housing affordability - and safety. Moved from Los Angeles. Our ties are still pretty strong to California and living here has allowed us to actually save and perhaps return to CA for retirement.

You might want to talk to folks at the SLC JCC:

IJ & Jeanné Wagner Jewish Community Center | IJ & Jeanné Wagner Jewish Community Center - About the JCC

They might be able to shed some light on being Jewish in Utah. Certainly there are more Jews in Northern Utah than Southern.

Early on we did have a problem with acceptance (his small business employers).... but on the whole there have been no problems.

No doubt you will be trailblazers in CC or St. George....

Old 03-10-2013, 03:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,966 times
My husband has Cystic Fibrosis and utah has a wonderful hospital in SLC. The country is beautiful and our bodies love the high altitude and salt. There's no dust in comparison to Arizona. Also, the Mormons like the jewish people. We are looking in the southern part of utah because it is most difficult to find horse property in the north.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:58 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
Your bodies WON"T love the highly polluted air which is prevalent along the Wasatch Front from Ogden to Provo, so indeed look down SOUTH. They may not have the hospital to work with but I am aware that in St. George just a bit south of Cedar City the hospital there is quite State of the Art now so if need can provide what you're medical needs call for.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Dixie Regional Hosp is part of the IHC system. Dominant health care in UT, non-profit.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:13 PM

10 posts, read 12,776 times
I'm Jewish of Mormon extraction. My maternal great grandmothers are buried in the Jewish cemetary in SLC. Having been raised LDS,- and lived for a short while in Ogden, I can vouch that LDS can be clannish.

They will also go out of their way to be courteous and befriend others. Part of that is to show the world how sincere they are in their faith; and to be missionaries to non-LDS through example.

There is a small but growing Jewish community in St. George. I'm just learning about it myself out of personal interest as I'm considering a move back west for my retirement years. I attend a Conservative synagogue here in New York. I have no idea what to make of the small group in St. George. Las Vegas has a much larger Jewish community; but is also hotter by degrees and slightly drier climate. St. George is just plain pretty! from the pictures I've seen of it. I like the smaller community/city and less congestion of Las Vegas, or Salt Lake City.

As for the heat being unbearable. I cannot say based on personal experience. But have been told by Nevadans that it takes around one year to become acclimated to the hotter climate of Nevada and Southern Utah by extension. Both St. George and Las Vegas are in the Mojave Desert. St George is only cooler by 2-3 degrees in summer. Once the temps are over 100F, it probably doesn't matter anyway.

L'Shana Tovah Tikatevu!

Old 09-18-2013, 02:53 PM

154 posts, read 309,934 times
Hi Thanks for the info. We actually totally changed gears and now we'll be moving to Coeur D'Alene Idaho. We like the greenery better than the desert even though it does get cold there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah