Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 20,074 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in relocating to Moab from Connecticut. Too much winter, too many taxes, too many malls and too much traffic for such an insignificant city like Hartford to deal with.
My wife and I have been to Moab several times over the past 10 years and we've seen it develope commercially a lot within that time. I'm sure there's no slow down in sight.
Some of my concerns have to do with the job market. I imagine most of it stems from tourism and land development/construction and that's where most of the jobs are at. Is it be a challenge making a decent living in Moab catering to these industries? Is it a challenge without catering to them?
I guess I'm just looking to hear from those who have made the move, the struggles to expect, and what's up with the LDS? Moab seems like a fairly liberal town. I have no opinion about the LDS either way, I just don't want to move to a place where their opinions effect my way of life; ability to get a job, rent a house, or buy a bottle of wine when the urge strikes. You hear stories and you take them with a grain of salt, but they do have a monopoly on Utah, so what's that like to live under if you're not involved?
Any and all feedback would be appreciated; particularly any job offers. Thanks

Last edited by 7barefeet; 11-25-2006 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 01:02 AM

37 posts, read 208,523 times
Utah liquor laws can be a bit difficult to swallow for outsiders. The selection is less, you have to buy only from state-run liquor stores, and it's illegal to bring it into the state (there are a few exceptions, I believe.)
Moab caters to outdoors types of all kinds...the percentage of the population that is LDS is much less than in most other parts of the state. The influence of the church shouldn't be a problem for you as far as buying a home or finding employment.
The biggest factor in your decision will probably be your employment. You didn't mention what field you are in, but you are right...the local economy depends on tourism, and there isn't much in the way of industry outside of that. Also, I feel that the housing boom is slowing, and that will affect the construction market. If you can identify a niche for yourself, go for it, but plan your employment before you decide anything else.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:32 PM

63 posts, read 362,599 times
Moab???

Delosate, desolate, desolate.

I had friends that got caught up in the whole mountain bike thing there and moved there and did not really like it. I visited them and thought--what is the big deal? Dusty, Dry, Desolate.

I would stick with northern Utah.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 20,066 times
Living in Moab is great if you move for the right reasons. There is no keeping up with the Jones's, and you can drive out of town 10 minutes and not hear or see anyone. Making a living is challenging, and you may find yourself doing a job you had not considered, ie bike guiding, restaurant host. Opening a business is always an option, but keep in mind that there is nothing going on here in the winter so you have a short season to make money if you have a tourist related business.

Old 02-04-2007, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 20,067 times
I was raised in Moab. Moved away for over 31 yrs. Moved back about 5 yrs ago. I love being near family. My husband had been to Moab twice before we met and of course during family visits. After living here he can't adjust to not having shopping. He hates paying more for everything and the selection isn't what he considers great. Things to consider: If you have medical problems Grand Junction, CO about two hours away might be where you have to go. Your children will probably have to move away for college or jobs. Jobs are hard to find and usually don't pay as well as other places. I would stay but I bet we move in another year. There are many great things about Moab. You just have to know if the trade off is worth it to you.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 19,310 times
I have lived in small towns all of my life and Moab is perfect for me because of the area surrounding it. I am looking to find out where and if there is handicapped housing there as I am loosing my sight and I want to walk to stores. Going to Grand Junction is fine for big shopping but I am single with a small dog as family and envy peoplew that live in rural towns as living in a large city isnot living but surviving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah