Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 01:44 PM

79 posts, read 274,028 times

Advertisements

TL;DR: See last few sentences.

A new maintenance manager moved in above me, him and his wife have been nice to me before an incident where I walked in one night and heard three loud booms through the ceiling which sounded like a bowling ball being dropped then slammed harder and harder twice more, along with some yelling and other small banging noises. I thought a cabinet had fallen over or somebody was getting beat up, but I didn't think they were that type so I walked outside and and they were smoking on the balcony and I said "Is everything OK?"

They were angry and said "Well if you wouldn't keep slamming the door!" I was like "What?" I didn't remember slamming it, I just walked in. I may close it hard but the previous neighbors (and nobody else) ever complained about it, so I shrugged like "I'm not sure what you mean" and they said "Well if you're gonna have that kind of attitude!" and I just said "I didn't know I was slamming it, I'll close it quieter, Jesus" and they're like "Wull I appreciate it". Do you think I appreciate you slamming the floor to the point I almost call 911?! I can't read their minds.

Apparently this had gone on for a while without them saying anything to anybody, it just came out in anger and accusations and rudeness. I'd actually had to close the door hard previously because of problems, which were fixed after multiple attempts over a year and a half, and it's actually difficult to close it quietly, and today I didn't close it hard like I used to, just closed it to what I thought was OK. Trying to decipher where that line is is difficult when they're getting angry and interrupting and making all these accusations.

The walls are thin here, very resonant, and I've had plenty of problems with noise as well as other people closing their doors hard and startling myself, my pet, and guests (they have an old sick dog that makes this horrible wheeze-cough that almost made me move out to begin with). I honestly don't know where their line is and this issue seems to have not been a problem with anyone else here while I've been around.

I'm not sure how to deal with this. They're usually nice but rough but I was just confronted with a wall of negativity, accusations, rudeness, curtness, and I haven't been able to have a conversation with them because they kept assuming the worst. I finally brought the manager over to listen and she worked it out but I don't know whether this rudeness is going to spill over into other things. I wasn't rude, I just explained and the wife was pissed that I emailed the manager to begin with, and said "She can't do anything to us!" Is that true?

Last edited by davetah; 07-08-2016 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 03:44 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,039,799 times
it's not clear why you posted this here. Does this problem have anything to do with Utah in any way?

Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 PM

Yah it has to do with Utah housing laws. Wouldn't that be the assumption here based on my title and end question? The middle part was just an how it got to that point.

Does the maintenance manager living at the apartment complex they're working at have some sort of immunity from the landlord if they're causing a problem?

I did eventually ask the landlord what she meant by that and she said she wasn't sure, so who knows what's going on.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:01 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,039,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinged View Post
Yah it has to do with Utah housing laws. Wouldn't that be the assumption here based on my title and end question? The middle part was just an how it got to that point.

Does the maintenance manager living at the apartment complex they're working at have some sort of immunity from the landlord if they're causing a problem?

I did eventually ask the landlord what she meant by that and she said she wasn't sure, so who knows what's going on.
Why would it be? You don't say where you live, there's nothing about whatever UT real estate laws you think are salient and you don't provide any other context.

Based on what you posted it sounds more like something for the Real Estate or Non-romantic relationships forums. There are countless C-D posts in completely inappropriate forums, happens all the time.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:20 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,454,597 times
Joys and drama of apartment life!

Old 07-09-2016, 10:19 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,032,093 times
In Utah, as in almost all other states, the landlord is responsible to you to ensure your unit is free from unnecessary disturbances by others who are on the premises. It's not your concern what relationship exist between the landlord and the maintenance person. The landlord is responsible to you and has to resolve this on your behalf.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Why would it be? You don't say where you live, there's nothing about whatever UT real estate laws you think are salient and you don't provide any other context.
What do you mean I don't say where I live? I posted in the Utah forum. Was she right about the landlord not being able to do anything about them when I complain, or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann
Based on what you posted it sounds more like something for the Real Estate or Non-romantic relationships forums. There are countless C-D posts in completely inappropriate forums, happens all the time.
I live in an apartment, I have zero ownership in Real Estate here. This is about a Utah residential issue, I've seen and made plenty of posts here about apartment problems, and gotten useful replies, unlike yours.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
In Utah, as in almost all other states, the landlord is responsible to you to ensure your unit is free from unnecessary disturbances by others who are on the premises. It's not your concern what relationship exist between the landlord and the maintenance person. The landlord is responsible to you and has to resolve this on your behalf.
Thanks for the useful reply, but it is my concern what relationship exist between the landlord and the maintenance person, because she said "She [the landlord] can't do anything to us!" after making a snarky reply that I "email the manager again!". Why? Because that implies they can do anything they want, I can complain, and the manager can't do anything. Does that make sense?

I really don't care what the manager does to them, but a threat or empty threat matters if they're saying it doesn't matter if I complain about them (or they think it doesn't matter). Not only could they cause problems (even under false pretenses) but if she's right they could get away with them. That's why I posted here, but so far nobody seems to know, so she's probably full of crap (especially considering the manager said didn't know what she was talking about, but how do I know the manager isn't defending her?).

I did have one friend mention it may be illegal for her husband to have told her that I sent an email to the manager about them, so I'll have to look into that.

I'm unsubscribing from this thread and will check it manually at my leisure.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:07 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,838,544 times
I'm a landlord, and let me tell you I don't give a flying muck if you are a tenant, maintenance person, or contractor. I've told contractors to GTFO my property before. Soooo many threads on this kind of nonsense. Tenants thinking oh, my landlord can't have keys, can't come in, can't prohibit me from smoking, etc. No shortage of entitled low information people.

What is the point of this thread? Are you really SO naive that you think the owner of the property can't do anything to an employee/tenant of theirs??? Do you think if an employee said this about their boss that it would be true too? What if I said that Unicorns exist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah