Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:12 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Probably at least two thirds of the threads in the Utah (including the Salt Lake City and St. George forums) are from people considering a move to Utah but who are afraid to take the leap because they are not LDS. Granted, I am LDS and have never lived outside of Utah, so I will admit that maybe my perspective is probably pretty one-sided. On the other hand, when 9 out of 10 of the posters in those threads ask for help in finding a place to settle where there aren't too many of those dreaded Mormons, I have to wonder if it's something other than our horns that everybody is afraid of.

Anyway, this thread is for all those folks who want some accurate information straight out of the horse's mouth so to speak about Mormon doctrine, culture and history. I know I could have started this thread in the religion subforum but it's not my intent to start a debate on "Are Mormons Christians?" (although it's a valid question) or to initiate a sounding board for people to trash Mormonism. My hope is that it will be a thread used primarily by people who are thinking about moving here, people who are new here and are confused about why they can't order prime rib at the Stake House or for long-time non-LDS Utahns who have questions about the faith that they don't dare ask their next-door neighbor for fear of getting a visit from the missionaries the next day.

So if there is anything about Mormons or Mormonism that you have always wanted to know but were afraid to ask, "This is the Place!"

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-21-2010 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
Is it true that if you wish to construct an LDS temple you are given a choice between a limited set of plans provided by the church and must choose one of them? I honestly think that more architectural variety would serve to deepen interest in the church.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Is it true that if you wish to construct an LDS temple you are given a choice between a limited set of plans provided by the church and must choose one of them? I honestly think that more architectural variety would serve to deepen interest in the church.
I'm not sure I actually understand your question. When you say "you" (as if it "you wish to construct a temple" or "you are given a choice of plans"), who exactly are you referring to. It is the Church leadership that decides when and where to build temples and it is the Church leadership that ultimately decides on the plan. Temples being built in various parts of the world often differ tremendously in appearance from each other and, because of building requirements, must meet the building codes, etc. of the various countries in which they are constructed. Is it possible that you are not referring to temples at all, but to regular chapels (aka "ward houses" or "churches")? These are most often very recognizable, and while the design changes over a period of time, pretty much all of them built within a ten year period of time or so look a lot alike.

LDS Temples Worldwide (There are roughly 130 temples worldwide and tens of thousands of chapels.)

Last edited by Katzpur; 06-21-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Can you give me the bottom line on the coffee/tea/soda thing? I have heard varying explanations why tey cannot be consumed ranging from hot liquids that burn your throat to the consumption of anything addicting such as caffeine.

What can and cannot be consumed?

Good idea for a post by the way.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:13 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
The Word of Wisdom which appears in Section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants, speaks of not consuming alcohol, tobacco, or "hot drinks". In fact, it also speaks of eating meat sparingly and only consuming it during the winter months.

The "hot drinks" thing has been mentioned before under another heading. Some have contended this could even mean hot chocolate if taken literally. What these people fail to understand is that the Word of Wisdom appeared in the 1830's when there were no other hot drinks, but tea and coffee. It is pretty clear that its a proscription against consuming tea and coffee. Most people believe that the consumption of coffee and tea was prohibited because they contain caffeine. I've never been totally sure that is accurate. It may have been something as simple as the fact that coffee and tea were expensive at the time and church leaders in the 1830's and 1840's didn't want members spending scarce money on things that had to be imported from other areas. There is very little scientific evidence that coffee and tea are bad for people. Although, I choose not to consume them primarily because I have acid reflux disease and both tea and coffee make it worse. By the way, some LDS people drink herbal tea because there is no caffeine in it.

What I do find a bit ironic is the de-emphasis that seems to have been placed on consuming meat sparingly. The obesity epidemic affects Utah as severely as other parts of America. Consuming fat and cholesterol has got to be more of a dietary issue than drinking a few cups of coffee is.

Yet, I will also see some LDS families refuse to let their children drink a coke or pepsi because of some minor caffeine content (other soda pop seems to be ok). Obviously, because soda didn't exist at the time its not covered in the Word of Wisdom either.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Can you give me the bottom line on the coffee/tea/soda thing? I have heard varying explanations why tey cannot be consumed ranging from hot liquids that burn your throat to the consumption of anything addicting such as caffeine.

What can and cannot be consumed?
In 1838, Joseph Smith was given a revelation known by Mormons today as "the Word of Wisdom." It prohibits alcohol, tobacco and "hot drinks." Alcohol and tobacco are pretty much self-explanitory. "Hot drinks" was interpreted from the very beginning by Joseph Smith and by his successors as meaning specifically "tea and coffee." There was no mention of caffeine specifically, but it has been assummed by many members of the Church that any beverage containing caffeine is forbidden. Others, including myself, do drink caffeinated sodas, just not tea and coffee (since those were the drinks named by our leaders).

What most people don't realize about the Word of Wisdom is that in addition to prohibiting certain things, it also stresses the things that we should be taking into our bodies. It advises a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and meat in moderation.

Quote:
Good idea for a post by the way.
Thank you for helping to get the ball rolling. I was beginning to think it was going to be one of those threads that just die a slow death.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:23 AM

602 posts, read 1,872,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Probably at least two thirds of the threads in the Utah (including the Salt Lake City and St. George forums) are from people considering a move to Utah but who are afraid to take the leap because they are not LDS. Granted, I am LDS and have never lived outside of Utah, so I will admit that maybe my perspective is probably pretty one-sided. On the other hand, when 9 out of 10 of the posters in those threads ask for help in finding a place to settle where there aren't too many of those dreaded Mormons, I have to wonder if it's something other than our horns that everybody is afraid of.

Anyway, this thread is for all those folks who want some accurate information straight out of the horse's mouth so to speak about Mormon doctrine, culture and history. I know I could have started this thread in the religion subforum but it's not my intent to start a debate on "Are Mormons Christians?" (although it's a valid question) or to initiate a sounding board for people to trash Mormonism. My hope is that it will be a thread used primarily by people who are thinking about moving here, people who are new here and are confused about why they can't order prime rib at the Stake House or for long-time non-LDS Utahns who have questions about the faith that they don't dare ask their next-door neighbor for fear of getting a visit from the missionaries the next day.

So if there is anything about Mormons or Mormonism that you have always wanted to know but were afraid to ask, "This is the Place!"

Prime Rib?? I've never heard of anything dealing with that.....what's the scoop?

Old 06-22-2009, 09:48 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by osugirl2 View Post
Prime Rib?? I've never heard of anything dealing with that.....what's the scoop?
Because it is a "Stake" (steak) house, of course. If you aren't familiar, a Stake House is a building for the purpose of religious gathering.

Good post, Katzpur. I am going to see if I can come up with a good question for you.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
I was told that the strictures against coffee, tea and other drinks containing caffeine became part of the Canon in the early part of the Twentieth Century. Is this not true?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:12 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
I believe that it is the chapels in individual neighborhoods and communities that I am referring to. Don't get me wrong, they are well built and have some great linear and what I would call contemporary lines.

But they seem to lack individuality and a certain amount of character. Mostly single story structures, pared down linear steeples, a LOT of brown and liver colored brick, sleek, narrow metal silver lettering on exterior nice looking but lacks flair.

There appears to be one in the Jeremy Ranch neighborhood of Park City that has some white and grey siding over the aforementioned, but this does not serve to liven things up very much....just my opinion of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah