U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 10:21 PM

7 posts, read 9,065 times

Advertisements

Hello, Everyone!

This is Matt, 20 years old. I'm studying in Salt Lake City. I'm from Greece. I have a question for all you guys who has some information about both of those states that I mentioned on my Title.

Well, I'm studying in Utah and Utah is a really good place for who is coming from another country. I've never been into some racist conversation. I'm thinking about moving to Wyoming. Just because colleges prices are really expensive here in Utah. It's cheaper than most of the States, I know that but for me it is.

There are couple things that making me confused about Wyoming. I'm the guy who is really want to make some new friends and live in the peace. I've never been in Wyoming so I have no idea about Wyoming.

I would like to ask you guys, should I move to Wyoming? or Is Wyoming a racist state for non-white people?

If I move to Wyoming, I'll stay there about 4 years. Which means your guy's opinions is really important for me.

I know that every state has some racist people. That's for sure, but I'm looking for as low as Utah.

Thank you so much!

(I have one more option after than Wyoming, it is North Dakota, if you guys know something about North Dakota as well, that would be amazing for me. I really appreciate that.)

You guys have an amazing night.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-31-2016, 10:33 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,936,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer95 View Post
Hello, Everyone!

This is Matt, 20 years old. I'm studying in Salt Lake City. I'm from Greece. I have a question for all you guys who has some information about both of those states that I mentioned on my Title.

Well, I'm studying in Utah and Utah is a really good place for who is coming from another country. I've never been into some racist conversation. I'm thinking about moving to Wyoming. Just because colleges prices are really expensive here in Utah. It's cheaper than most of the States, I know that but for me it is.

There are couple things that making me confused about Wyoming. I'm the guy who is really want to make some new friends and live in the peace. I've never been in Wyoming so I have no idea about Wyoming.

I would like to ask you guys, should I move to Wyoming? or Is Wyoming a racist state for non-white people?

If I move to Wyoming, I'll stay there about 4 years. Which means your guy's opinions is really important for me.

I know that every state has some racist people. That's for sure, but I'm looking for as low as Utah.

Thank you so much!

(I have one more option after than Wyoming, it is North Dakota, if you guys know something about North Dakota as well, that would be amazing for me. I really appreciate that.)

WY is not cheap. Have you looked at housing costs and much more? Plus with oil stopping in WY, the WY state budget got slashed big time by Gov. Mead.

Post in the WY thread. The people are nice. They will ask you how you will support yourself, if you housing secured and have you ever visited Laramie. If you haven't then I'd recommend visiting Laramie, where the only University in WY, is located.

Good luck gathering basic information first.

MSR

Old 07-31-2016, 11:29 PM

7 posts, read 9,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
WY is not cheap. Have you looked at housing costs and much more? Plus with oil stopping in WY, the WY state budget got slashed big time by Gov. Mead.

Post in the WY thread. The people are nice. They will ask you how you will support yourself, if you housing secured and have you ever visited Laramie. If you haven't then I'd recommend visiting Laramie, where the only University in WY, is located.

Good luck gathering basic information first.

MSR
Thanks for the information. Well, I know that Wyoming is not cheap at all. But ''colleges'' are in Wyoming pretty much cheaper than Utah. Especially for International Students. That's why I have a hard time in Utah.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:10 AM

290 posts, read 495,807 times
I live on the Utah/Wyoming border. Both states make up arguably the most conservative area in the country. I don't know that I'd label them as racist, but there is racism that exists there. In Wyoming, it manifests itself more as a fear/distrust of outsiders, which is basically anyone who wasn't born there...you could have lived in Wyoming for 10 years and still be considered an outsider. You may get a cooler reception for anything that could mark you as such, from the clothes you wear, to the vehicle you drive, to the color of your skin.

In Utah, it's more religion-related: the state is predominantly LDS (Mormon), which has deeply racist roots if you study its scriptures. As with most places, it's not as bad with younger generations, but many of the older folks still have some interesting ideas in that department.

As far as racism on the whole, it's not nearly as bad as you'd see in places like the southern part of the country. You're not likely to see people burning crosses or other outwardly aggressive actions. People may just be a little more guarded around you than someone they perceive as 'like them'. Again, I would stress that this applies to a minority of people I know out here and most are very good people at their core. But there's no denying the conservative nature of both states.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:59 AM

11,086 posts, read 10,650,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer95 View Post
Hello, Everyone!

Thank you so much!

Wyoming is a very different state than Utah. My mother grew up there and because of family roots, I've traveled a great deal through the state. I think Wyoming is the most sparsely populated state per square in the lower 48 states. Its a real mixed bag. If you like the outdoors with a focus on fishing and hunting than it may be the place for you. If you want to live in a decent sized city and want options that include shopping, cultural activities, and top quality health care its probably not the best choice. The elevation in Wyoming is generally higher than in Utah. This means more snow and colder temperatures. Much of the state is made up of flat, open spaces and the wind can just blow like crazy.

The University of Wyoming is in Laramie. I would describe Laramie as a small city out in the middle of nowhere. Winters are very cold and it is very isolated. Sometimes, the freeway (I-80) is blocked in the winter because of blowing snow.

At one time, college tuition in Wyoming for public colleges and universities was the lowest in the nation. However, as some have already said, the oil boom is over and I suspect these rates will have to increase. There is also the question of value. A degree from the University of Wyoming may not be particularly valuable in the job market. Although, perhaps in the right field it would be just fine.

I can't comment on the issue of race. Wyoming is predominantly white with a good percentage of Hispanics. People tend to have very long roots in the communities there in which they live. I'm sure its hard for any outsider to break in.

If you are interested in Wyoming, I recommend you take a trip or two and visit.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:47 PM

5,579 posts, read 5,596,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
...A degree from the University of Wyoming may not be particularly valuable in the job market. Although, perhaps in the right field it would be just fine...
If your major is geology, geophysics, or petroleum engineering, Laramie is definitely a desirable place from which to obtain a degree. There are few universities better suited for study in those sciences.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 08-15-2016, 11:49 AM

1,787 posts, read 2,078,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
If your major is geology, geophysics, or petroleum engineering, Laramie is definitely a desirable place from which to obtain a degree. There are few universities better suited for study in those sciences.

I would argue that Utah State and Utah are both equally suited for degrees in those majors and I would also argue that Logan and Salt Lake City are significantly more desirable places to live than Laramie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: