Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Considering move from Michigan to Utah, need; information on school districts, small communities population under 5000, non-Mormon communities, anti-religious

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:11 PM

17 posts, read 53,658 times

Advertisements

My family is currently living in Michigan, yes I know why. I have lived in Michigan for my whole life, still living in the town where I grew up and 5 miles away from the house I grew up in.

My husband and I have recently been offered a chance to move to Utah. He would be working near Kaysville. At first I was like "Why", I always pictured myself moving somewhere warmer than Michigan with less snow.

We are almost 90% sure of making this move, but we have questions. We aren't worried about the housing costs as where we currently are in Michigan has high housing costs.

Here are somethings we are looking for;

-we are looking for a small school district, currently there are approx. 400 kids in our Elementary school and 900 in our Junior High.

-small community around a population of 5000

-we aren't very religous so preferably a community that is not controlled by religon.

We are scared of the move because of all the awful things we have heard about mormons and polygamists, can anyone put these rumors to rest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,454,332 times
why would you be scared of them? mormons are weird. i am one, so i know their oddities. but most of the time its a benign weird, a friendly weird. polygamists are also weird, but a) they're not mormon, and b) they generally keep to themselves. they're not going to abduct your kids and try to marry them off or anything.

from everything i've heard of michigan, there is nowhere in utah with as much snow/cold until you get up to kings peak and the like. it does get cold down here, and there is snow, but the most i am used to seeing on the ground at any given time in the valley is around 9 inches. i do remember some tremendous blizzards that dropped 2+ feet, but those were when i was a kid, and you know how time exaggerates things.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:38 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,626 times
We have lived here for a bit over a year now, Moramans are not scary. Infact they are very friendly and helpfull, people are polite here, you can leave stuff outside overnight and it will be there the next morning. My husband likes it out here specially at his job because there is a good strong work ethic with most people out here. Honestly the only time I was asked if I was Morman, was when we took a tour of temple square. Anyways Utah is very friendly and a safe place to live. Blesiings, Michelle

Old 02-23-2008, 11:52 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,716 times
If you are planning on moving to the Kaysville area, I don't know what community will be as small as you are desiring. The Wasatch Front spans from Provo to Ogden and is pretty constant population from one end to the other. You would probably need to move to the other side of the mountains to find a community that small.

Even though the schools are bigger, they are wonderful. My kids are in Davis School District (Kaysville is in this district), and I love it. They are both doing great.

As for religion controlling the area...well, speaking as someone who moved here from out of state, it can appear that religion controls the majority around here. However, if you come with a good attitude and look for the positives then you will not be disappointed. I'm sure you have heard horror stories about Mormons, I know I did before I moved here. Once I got here, I realized that the Mormon people (in general) are wonderful, kind and sincere. They have established a community here that is extremely family friendly. As a mother of two young children, I greatly appreciate that.

My Hubby and I are from Michigan and still have a ton of family there. Let me try to explain the climate differences...

Winter: I have lived here for 14 years, and 13 of them have been mild compared to Michigan. A typical Utah winter has snow off-and-on. It doesn't usually snow in November and stay until the end of March like in Michigan. However, this year has been more like a Michigan winter. We have had one storm after another. My DH keeps muttering, "We may as well be back in Michigan. I haven't had to shovel this much since high school!"

Summer: Michigan and Utah are like night and day. Michigan seems to hover around the mid 80's, but is very humid, so it can seem warmer. Utah stays around 90-100 and is dry. There is almost no humidity here. It makes the heat easier to bear....but it is still hot.

As for Spring and Fall...well, they are here for about a week each. It seems so strange to me that we can have a snow storm one week, have a week in the 60-70 range, and then we are in full-blown summer...90 degrees and HOT. Then when fall rolls around, it is the same way. It is 90 one day, 60 for about a week, and then we are in the 30's and freezing. I love spring and fall and wish they would stick around longer.

I know it seems scary moving to somewhere so different than what you are used to, but Utah is not so bad. Just make sure you come with a good attitude and ready to see the possitive side of things. If you don't then you will most definitely hate it, as you can see by some of the other posters in this forum.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:49 PM

23 posts, read 98,904 times
We moved to Utah from the midwest about 2 years ago. Being in southern Utah, we have experienced the discrimination that a lot of time goes with being non-LDS.

I don't think it would be as awful if we didn't have to see our kids being shunned and left out of neighborhood play...just because we are Catholic....and YES...I have been told THAT is the reason!

It is so terribly sad, but I do understand that our neighbors feel that they are doing the best for their children. I just wish that they could see how my children are so hurt and the tears of being left out.

I wish we would not have moved here. I did not know that this type of discrimation was still going on so strongly...eek

Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCityUtahRez View Post
We moved to Utah from the midwest about 2 years ago. Being in southern Utah, we have experienced the discrimination that a lot of time goes with being non-LDS.

I don't think it would be as awful if we didn't have to see our kids being shunned and left out of neighborhood play...just because we are Catholic....and YES...I have been told THAT is the reason!

It is so terribly sad, but I do understand that our neighbors feel that they are doing the best for their children. I just wish that they could see how my children are so hurt and the tears of being left out.

I wish we would not have moved here. I did not know that this type of discrimation was still going on so strongly...eek
I know that this can happen sometimes, and I think it tends to happen more in smaller communities. I do not think it is as common in the Layton/Kaysville area. There is an Air Force base in Layton that brings in many different religious backgrounds, so the people here are more open to differences. I moved here from out of state when I was in high school. I am not LDS and I never had a problem being shunned. I now have two children of my own who are in elementary school and they have a ton of LDS friends.

I'm sorry, CedarCityUtahRez, for the problems you have endured since you moved here. I wish you could have had a better experience. I know it is very hard to see your children suffer. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,431 times
I sat next to a young male who was a Mormon on the plane on a recent visit to Utah and he was so incredibly nice. I do not know what kind of rumors you heard but Utah is one of my absolutely favorite states and it is incredible in the summer and winter. A wonderful place to live!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 AM

17 posts, read 53,658 times
dojilynn, Thanks for all the great info. We are excited to try this new experience but still kind of leery. What is the difference in the cost of living between Michigan and Utah?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:00 AM

23 posts, read 98,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I know that this can happen sometimes, and I think it tends to happen more in smaller communities. I do not think it is as common in the Layton/Kaysville area. There is an Air Force base in Layton that brings in many different religious backgrounds, so the people here are more open to differences. I moved here from out of state when I was in high school. I am not LDS and I never had a problem being shunned. I now have two children of my own who are in elementary school and they have a ton of LDS friends.

I'm sorry, CedarCityUtahRez, for the problems you have endured since you moved here. I wish you could have had a better experience. I know it is very hard to see your children suffer. I hope things turn around for you soon.
I thought Utah would be nice for family values and raising a family. I was not expecting any issues. The only thing that I knew of LDS, was the hearttouching TV ads.

I don't know how things will turn around and Cedar City is not a tiny community by any means.

I do know of a family that lives in Salt Lake City and their teen child had a public school teacher say one of the most awful statements that I have ever heard about the teen's religion. The teacher said that all people of that teen's religion should be shot. Yes, that is just one person and I know many LDS would be horrified that he said...but...

In Salt Lake on the local News, a newsperson person was referring to an American Idol contestant and said, and I quote,

"Could she be?" What do you think the broadcaster was talking about? The talked about how the drink, smoke, or go to rated R movies.

Could she be, what? Well....the broadcaster was talking about....

Could she be.....LDS/Mormon

What other state could you ask...."Could she be?" and have people know what you're referring to?

Yes, there are some nice things in Utah....scenery is nice, crime is lower (at least where I live), family values-as a whole community is shaped.

But, I have lived 2 other states and my children have always made friends and played with other children in the neighborhood...not in Utah...this state has one religion as the major way of living.

I did learn about Pioneer Day...never heard of it...before Utah. I also didn't know that Wal-mart had an LDS book/dvd/ section and a section that sold replicas of Mormon temples. Got to love Wal-mart...if people will buy it...they will sell it.

I did not realize (before I moved here) that many LDS would refer to my religion as the church of Satan.

For those who don't know...that would mean that I am Catholic.

Good Luck...it took 2 years for us to really find out.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowfan View Post
dojilynn, Thanks for all the great info. We are excited to try this new experience but still kind of leery. What is the difference in the cost of living between Michigan and Utah?
It all depends, what part of Michigan are you from?

We are from Cadillac and it is alot cheaper in Cadillac than it is here. But you mentioned that you live in an expensive part of Michigan, so it may be an easier transition for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah