U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2017, 09:17 AM
 
9 posts, read 13,069 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Man I have a bunch of questions and I hope someone can help lead me to the answers-

We have the opportunity to move to Park City due to a change in my husbands job. I am wondering what it is like to reside in Park City full time and what type of activities the kids will find outside of skiing. We love the Summit Park area but are trying to gather as much info as possible.

How are the schools? Is a $600,000 budget likely to buy a home there? What about long term rentals, where is the best place to find them?

My husband will be working from home a lot, how is the Internet reliability? What company(s) services the area?

As you can see, I need as much help and guidance as possible! We have been to Park city but only in the Winter and not as potential residents. If you have website suggestions to gather these answers, I can handle that too!

Thank you so much-
Sarah
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2017, 10:48 AM
 
9 posts, read 13,069 times
Reputation: 10
Also, in a previous life before children, we did live in a "ski town" so we are familiar with that but it was Steamboat Springs and Summit County, Co.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Ballwin, MO
143 posts, read 129,196 times
Reputation: 401
Hi, Sarah. I can't speak to kids or schools, but we lived in Kimball Junction for almost a year recently. The whole area (Kimball Junction/Park City) is very outdoorsy. Lots of biking and hiking going on during the non-ski season.


We had Xfinity/Comcast for internet and TV. My husband and I both work full time remote from home. It was pretty reliable, and we got the speeds we need. That area, though, had multiple power outages due to various things. Mostly wind if I recall correctly. A few were short, but one was quite a few hours. Didn't seem to be big storms - the power would just go out locally. So internet was fine, but I felt the area was prone to power outages.


The whole area is extremely expensive. We rented a SFH that was horribly outdated - pink laminate counters, windows that leaked - it needed about $100k in updates just to be decent. It was an $800k house though. Rent was $3200 a month, which is horrifying. The Park City/Kimball Junction area is one of the most expensive in the country. I recently read an article that said something like 1 in 7 homes sell for more than a million dollars.


There are really nice houses for sure, but it's very expensive. You might want to use HotPads to find some rentals. Moderator cut: only realtor.com can be cited We moved to the SLC valley in June, and a bigger house, completely updated, is $1100 a month cheaper than Kimball Junction, which isn't even Park City.


It's a pretty area for sure. We miss the sunrises up there. And the clean air (a lot!). It's just too expensive for us. You may find yourself driving down to SLC to shop a lot, too. Groceries up there are great - lots of options - but the only other real shopping is WalMart or the outlet mall, or the boutiques on Main Street.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-18-2017 at 08:10 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM
 
9 posts, read 13,069 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you! We live in San Francisco so housing prices don't shock us anymore but it's good to know the real costs.

What about park and recreation programs? Is that a thing there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 11:56 AM
 
914 posts, read 849,960 times
Reputation: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineerSEA View Post
Thank you! We live in San Francisco so housing prices don't shock us anymore but it's good to know the real costs.

What about park and recreation programs? Is that a thing there?
Yes there are multiple park and recreation programs in all areas. My kids used to do soccer through Sandy Parks & Rec, but they do stuff for all ages and all times of the year
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 PM
 
9 posts, read 13,069 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Ballwin, MO
143 posts, read 129,196 times
Reputation: 401
Park City, UT : Park City MARC & Recreation
This oughta answer most any questions initially for up in PC.


The only place I was familiar with in Kimball Junction is this one: The Fieldhouse | Snyderville Basin Special Recreation District
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2017, 01:17 PM
 
40 posts, read 34,422 times
Reputation: 39
How old are your kids? We are considering moving from slc to pc. I get a lot of emails about the wasatch family fitness/stretch and grow programs. Those are for younger kids i think. I think there is a lot going on at basin fieldhouse but we do know several pc families whose kids do soccer, softball, etc down in slc supposedly for more competition... kimball art center does lots of classes and camps for kids teens and adults.

The schools...i am still trying to understand this situation better. Our main reasons for wanting to move are schools and air quality. We want to be in pinebrook for hubby's commute, but most of pinebrook goes to school at parleys park elem., not nearby jeremy ranch. This all has to do with 1.5 mile radius bus service eligibility...long story. Then there is a 2 yr middle school, yet another 2 yr jr high, then 3 yr high school but i guess that will all be changing. So its been hard to figure out for us...as far as will it be a smooth adjustment to schools. Will it be better/easier than what we are doing in slc? Not sure.

House prices are high and its a sellers market right now. We need 5 bedrooms so we are in at leadt the $800k range. But, this isnt much more than what homes in the cove in slc are going for. You pay a premium for sure. But being a ski town i think it will hold its value. For $600k you may find something decent with 2-3 bedrooms. For sure in summit park...but it really has more of a summer home feel not a neighborhood feel kwim?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 12:11 PM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,530 posts, read 6,241,264 times
Reputation: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandisp View Post
How old are your kids? We are considering moving from slc to pc. I get a lot of emails about the wasatch family fitness/stretch and grow programs. Those are for younger kids i think. I think there is a lot going on at basin fieldhouse but we do know several pc families whose kids do soccer, softball, etc down in slc supposedly for more competition... kimball art center does lots of classes and camps for kids teens and adults.

The schools...i am still trying to understand this situation better. Our main reasons for wanting to move are schools and air quality. We want to be in pinebrook for hubby's commute, but most of pinebrook goes to school at parleys park elem., not nearby jeremy ranch. This all has to do with 1.5 mile radius bus service eligibility...long story. Then there is a 2 yr middle school, yet another 2 yr jr high, then 3 yr high school but i guess that will all be changing. So its been hard to figure out for us...as far as will it be a smooth adjustment to schools. Will it be better/easier than what we are doing in slc? Not sure.

House prices are high and its a sellers market right now. We need 5 bedrooms so we are in at leadt the $800k range. But, this isnt much more than what homes in the cove in slc are going for. You pay a premium for sure. But being a ski town i think it will hold its value. For $600k you may find something decent with 2-3 bedrooms. For sure in summit park...but it really has more of a summer home feel not a neighborhood feel kwim?
Maybe yes, maybe no. Snowfall has, on average, been decreasing for years. There are many that believe that in 20 years it won't be a ski town anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2017, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
25,524 posts, read 26,186,906 times
Reputation: 12263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Maybe yes, maybe no. Snowfall has, on average, been decreasing for years. There are many that believe that in 20 years it won't be a ski town anymore.
Yeah, and then maybe people will admit that global warming is not just a myth invented by those evil scientists, huh?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top