Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 11:56 PM

54 posts, read 89,510 times

Advertisements

I often see people asking about which areas are more or less conservative/liberal and this map can be VERY useful in making recommendations. Scroll to the bottom of the page for the map where you can click on each precinct and see how it voted. You can also select 2008 or 2012.
https://decisiondeskhq.com/data-dive...-precinct-map/

Some maps I screenshotted of larger metropolitan areas:
Salt Lake County:

Utah County:

Davis-Weber Counties:

Cache County:

There are endless observations we can make based on this map but here are few:
-Salt Lake County (in nearly every area) is overwhelmingly more liberal and politically diverse than anywhere else in the Wasatch Front. Having grown up in Riverton/South Jordan and seen the way it's gentrified in recent years I can easily say it's on track to become like areas of Sandy/Cottonwood Heights.

-McMullin definitely skewed some areas. Be aware that many McMullin voters have the potential to be even more conservative (It's gotta be Mormon or nothing) than Trump voters.

-The youth population is trending VERY liberal. If you look at any of the Wasatch Front university towns (even Provo) there is a huge bias toward the left compared to previous years (for the best example, look at USU in 2008 vs. USU in 2016). I'm at BYU, and, while it's annoyingly conservative, I've seen numerous positive changes toward social libertarianism.

-The 2012 election can skew the data quite a bit as well due to many more left-leaning Mormons coming home to Romney merely based on his religion.

-There was enough social pressure in many areas for Evan McMullin to gain majority votes. The significance of the Mormon hive mind is worth noting, especially given the typical political illiteracy of the United States populace. Social media plays a MUCH larger role than anticipated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah