Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 12,839 times

Advertisements

I've read some of the other threads regarding this question, but couldn't find anyone in my particular situation. I'm a mixed race mid 30's single guy (recently divorced) just looking for a nice, quiet place to live. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I'm not into clubbing or barhopping. I'm not religious at all, but respect that people have the right to believe what they want to believe (just don't try and push it onto me).

I'm in the middle of turning my life around, at least from a health standpoint. I just adopted a plant-based food diet (1 month now!) and am loving it. I've lived in Olympia, WA for the past 5+ years (grew up in the Bay Area). While I love the PNW and the scenery, it's just too expensive to live here. I consistently see Orem, UT on those "top 10" lists of great places to live and after looking at home prices, it seems VERY affordable (my father is retired in Las Vegas and I'd like to be closer to him). After looking at some of the other threads that tackle this subject (Non-LDS moving to Utah County), it seems that if you like the "nightlife" or if you have children (in regards to them being able to make friends due to the tight schedule of LDS kids), which I don't, it may not be the best place to live. But considering that I don't do the whole "nightlife" scene or have kids, why wouldn't it work for me? One of my best friends backin high school, in the Bay Area, is Mormon and we always had a BLAST. I want to get more into doing outdoor activities and I've read that Utah is a great place for doing just that! My hobbies are cooking (I see Costco and Sprouts in the area!!) and working on cars. I'm pretty outgoing and like to treat people how I want to be treated.

Would there be any reason to believe I wouldn't be able to carve out a little piece of happiness in Orem, UT?

(considering Orem because I may be getting a nice tech job there and HATE commuting.. did it for too long in WA)

TL DR;

Can a single, non-religious, mixed race, mid 30s guy who doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs, and lives a vegan-ish lifestyle find happiness in Orem, UT?

Thanks for taking the time to read!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 06:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Depends on if happy means dating and having a circle of friends. Seems very risky if so.

Old 01-24-2017, 06:40 PM

Being recently divorced, dating is the last thing on my mind (my idea to divorce). I don't necessarily need a "circle of friends", just one or two decent ones to do outdoor stuff with when the weather is nice.

The older I get, the more alone I want to be honestly. So this may actually work out for me.

Edit: I notice no one ever mentions Eagle Mountain. Is that not a viable option? Commute doesn't look to bad. What about south of Provo? Springville or Payson perhaps?

Old 01-24-2017, 11:50 PM

Moderator please delete this thread. Thank you!

Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 AM

783 posts, read 577,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akg32 View Post
Moderator please delete this thread. Thank you!
Hey, I'm in a similar situation to you and was eagerly awaiting answers from the CD community. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want the thread deleted?

Old 01-25-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
Hey, I'm in a similar situation to you and was eagerly awaiting answers from the CD community. If you don't mind me asking, why do you want the thread deleted?
My question was more or less answered. That, and it snows a lot more than I thought it did, so that alone is making me quite hesitant. I've never lived in an area that had consistent snow (Olympia has received moderate to heavy snow once in the 5 years I've been here). But, the job is potentially a very, very good one, so the juice may be worth the squeeze.

I'll withdraw my call for this thread to be deleted my friend. I hope we get some more responses.

Edit: I can't edit my post from last night. Hopefully the moderators notice my retraction.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 AM

246 posts, read 320,964 times
Yeah, 12-inches of snow at rush hour doesn't phase anyone. It's just a double-dog dare.

The good news is: nowhere in Utah has commuting like it is in the Olympia - Seattle area. Last October I got caught in a traffic jam from Olympia to Everett. I don't think ever got going faster than 35mph.

I assume it is the same for Utah County as it is for Salt Lake County in that north-south commutes have a higher average speed than east-west commutes. I once changed jobs (salt Lake County) partly because it was going to shave 10 miles off my commute. But my commute time didn't change, I was just driving a lot slower.

Utah County is 89.4% White (Wikipedia) and has a very monolithic culture. If diversity is high on your list of wants, you're not going to find it. Although there is the Krishna Temple in Salem.

Eagle Mountain is a long ways away from anything, so be prepared for that. I like having a "fortress of solitude", so I'd be okay with it. But not everyone is like that. Also, the whole town is less than 20 years old. So it's been going through the growing pains of transitioning from a couple of developer's sandbox to an actual City.

The west side of Lehi, near Redwood Road, or Saratoga Springs, might also be a place worth looking.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 AM

Appreciate the info Beernik, but I decided to look elsewhere to move due to the inversion/pollution problems in the Salt Lake Valley. Eagle Mountain sounded like a place I would've been fine with living in. Like you, I like my peace and quiet

Old 03-17-2017, 01:02 PM

11 posts, read 30,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akg32 View Post
I've read some of the other threads regarding this question, but couldn't find anyone in my particular situation. I'm a mixed race mid 30's single guy (recently divorced) just looking for a nice, quiet place to live. I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I'm not into clubbing or barhopping. I'm not religious at all, but respect that people have the right to believe what they want to believe (just don't try and push it onto me).

I'm in the middle of turning my life around, at least from a health standpoint. I just adopted a plant-based food diet (1 month now!) and am loving it. I've lived in Olympia, WA for the past 5+ years (grew up in the Bay Area). While I love the PNW and the scenery, it's just too expensive to live here. I consistently see Orem, UT on those "top 10" lists of great places to live and after looking at home prices, it seems VERY affordable (my father is retired in Las Vegas and I'd like to be closer to him). After looking at some of the other threads that tackle this subject (Non-LDS moving to Utah County), it seems that if you like the "nightlife" or if you have children (in regards to them being able to make friends due to the tight schedule of LDS kids), which I don't, it may not be the best place to live. But considering that I don't do the whole "nightlife" scene or have kids, why wouldn't it work for me? One of my best friends backin high school, in the Bay Area, is Mormon and we always had a BLAST. I want to get more into doing outdoor activities and I've read that Utah is a great place for doing just that! My hobbies are cooking (I see Costco and Sprouts in the area!!) and working on cars. I'm pretty outgoing and like to treat people how I want to be treated.

Would there be any reason to believe I wouldn't be able to carve out a little piece of happiness in Orem, UT?

(considering Orem because I may be getting a nice tech job there and HATE commuting.. did it for too long in WA)

TL DR;

Can a single, non-religious, mixed race, mid 30s guy who doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs, and lives a vegan-ish lifestyle find happiness in Orem, UT?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

I use frontrunner to go to Orem for classes at UVU. It's grown diverse over the past 6 or so years.I think you would find it pretty nice and friendly. Lots of fun things to do there. If you don't drink or use drugs you will Utah in general refreshing. While they do have clubs there is not the social pressure to party like there is in other states. Also, I don't find religion to be a big pressure there at all. They have plays, art museums, lots of other activities to do out there.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:04 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times
I see OP has ruled out Orem, but for the other poster interested...

I grew up in Provo, and most my family is still in Utah. It has become much more diverse than it was when I grew up there (graduated high school in 1985). That doesn't necessarily mean more inclusive, though that seems to be changing a little bit, too. A couple of my younger cousins, and one niece have a non-white spouse. (Yes, we have the typical, large Mormon family.)

My last visit out, I was shocked at the number of Hispanic residents in the Provo/Orem area now. My sister dragged me to the mall, and they give their public service announcements in both English and Spanish now. With the growth of these towns - crazy amount of sprawl - and all the new residents, traffic is awful. And I'm saying that as someone who lived in Manhattan for 30 years. Springville to Orem isn't a great distance, but I wouldn't want to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: