Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:53 AM

914 posts, read 966,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post
The hard part about utah is that wages are LOW, and housing is comparatively high cost when compared to income. You may find it relatively hard to find good paying jobs with less than a college degree.

Yes, Utah is a lower cost of living compared to Seattle, especially when it comes to housing, but wages are much much lower.

I am sure this could be refuted based on others personal experience, but this has been my experience as well as that of others that I have met.
Completely agree with you, unless you are working for a huge global company. Also lack of perks too or any reasonable vacation pay. I was being paid less to work in education supporting children with their reading (I have an associates degree)than you get paid to work in a grocery store or a fast food chain and they get lots of other perks. Never be out of work in Utah but may not earn what you need to have a reasonable standard of living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 02:43 PM

163 posts, read 315,335 times
My thought is that you should think about getting settled near the place you realistically expect to be attending school - even if it's still 9 months out.

If you're hoping to get into BYU Provo, find a job in the Provo-Orem area, and then look for a place to live. Get work lined up before committing to a lease on housing.

If BYU Idaho is your first choice, maybe you should be heading to Rexburg and skip the stopover in Salt Lake City.

I'd plan on moving to SLC only if the UofU is your top choice. In that case, you'll probably plan to work a year so that you can avoid out-of-state tuition. For more affordable housing, consider a one-year lease on a place in Midvale, Murray, West Jordan, and Taylorsville. When you start school, married student housing is definitely your best bet.

I'd also second Geo-Aggie's suggestion that you consider USU in Logan, just because I happen to really like it up there. It's a perfect place for a student who is also starting a family. USU is less expensive than the U, and Logan is more budget-friendly than SLC.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:49 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,458,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKracken View Post
<>Anyone have any advice on where to live and job hunting in these areas?<>
Had a skilled toolmaker friend who was invited out to work in Utah. He was fine, but his wife had no success at all. They had NO social life, and he had his job before they went there.
If you are not LDS you will not succeed there, IMHO.
"Not much in Idaho for you, either"

Old 08-26-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Had a skilled toolmaker friend who was invited out to work in Utah. He was fine, but his wife had no success at all. They had NO social life, and he had his job before they went there.
"Not much in Idaho for you, either"
Sorry, but that's a bunch of nonsense. Besides, OP wants to attend BYU. I think that's a clue...

Old 08-26-2017, 04:40 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,944,885 times
We aren't LDS and moved here from the east. We are doing well for ourselves. I'm not sure how you think you won't succeed otherwise.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:19 AM

3,753 posts, read 5,269,417 times
I am still trying to figure out the vehicle thing. Husband, wife, baby, and three vehicles. Hmmm, maybe a friend is driving one.

It seems like Utah State U in Logan or Weber State U in Ogden might be cheaper options for housing. Or Southern Utah U in Cedar City. Depends upon the major. General business studies, for example, can be done just about at any school.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:27 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,785,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I am still trying to figure out the vehicle thing. Husband, wife, baby, and three vehicles. Hmmm, maybe a friend is driving one.

Who knows ... His, hers, and theirs ?

It seems like Utah State U in Logan or Weber State U in Ogden might be cheaper options for housing. Or Southern Utah U in Cedar City. Depends upon the major. General business studies, for example, can be done just about at any school.
I would vote for Logan, unless *he* needs a job after school ...
Lower cost of living, and still close enough to SLC ?

For a job after school, going to the *Y* would be harder since everybody, besides God Almighty, lives around the *Y* and needs a job after school. The *U* might be a better choice ...

With the baby coming soon, not sure if there is time for her to be a Nanny !

Once a job is found, get a year pass on Trax for under 100 bucks to save on transportation.
Put one car in storage to save on insurance until more money available to spend.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:08 AM

27,888 posts, read 29,685,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I'm glad you added the "IMHO." Roughly 50% of Salt Lakers are not LDS, and there are just as many of them who have successful careers as there are Mormons who do. In the company from which I retired (a company of about 100 people), the President was LDS, the Vice President was Catholic, and my department head was basically just not religious at all. The other employees of the company ranged from atheists to devout Mormons and everything in between.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:47 AM

Default Jobs

Back on the subject of jobs: There are always job openings in the SLC/Provo area for customer service reps to work in call centers. Many of them offer both full-time and part-time work schedules, and most pay well above minimum wage. Just a few examples: Clearlink, Netflix, Overstock, C3, Progrexion, Discover Financial Services, Harland Clarke, Teleperformance, General Dynamics Information Technology...

Old 08-28-2017, 01:44 PM

49 posts, read 101,316 times
I will agree that Utah wages are on the lower end. My personal opinion is this is because so many people want to live here. When somewhere is appealing, people are usually more accepting of lower wages because they want to be there enough that it outweighs earning more somewhere else. It's why people in Hawaii tend to earn less - regardless of the high cost of living - and people in North Dakota in mining will out earn what anyone here doing the same work earns. We may not have sandy beaches and tropical weather but lots of people want to be here and even those who leave for college tend to work to get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah