Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:52 PM

84 posts, read 160,786 times

Advertisements

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ok/1019429001/

"To determine the fastest growing (and shrinking) states, 24/7 Wall St. reviewed the one-year population change of all 50 states from 2015 to 2016 with data from the U.S. Census Bureau. All population estimates are as of July 1 of each year."

"Utah’s population also grew more from inbound migration than many other states. The state’s population increased by 0.8% due to net migration in 2016, more than double the 0.3% national figure and the ninth highest rate of any state."

It seems that the United Van Lines survey is flawed. Utah has a healthy migration rate.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:07 PM

553 posts, read 479,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Poison... There are too many sources to cite in order to answer your question in short. If you type "Red Air Days SLC" or "American Lung Association Ranking of SLC" into your browser and search, you will gain a more in depth understanding of the situation at hand.

Red air alert days can happen year round, although are more prevalent in the winter due to the "inversion" (high altitude cold air trapping polluted warmer air beneath it). The ALA ranked SLC as one of the top 10 worst cities for air pollution last year, although a Salt Lake Tribune article on this states things are improving. For SLC's sake, I certainly hope they are, it's a city with much to offer IMO if it can solve or improve upon certain issues.

Thank you for answering.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:52 AM

57 posts, read 117,942 times
Poison Ivy, I live in So. Utah, Cedar City, and we do not have inversions. However we have winds like there is nobody's business... perhaps the wind is why we don't have any inversions! They call Chicago the Windy City, naw, Chicago has nothing on the winds we have. 40-50 mph and more days than I can count!

Old 02-12-2018, 08:58 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exi-cali View Post
Poison Ivy, I live in So. Utah, Cedar City, and we do not have inversions. However we have winds like there is nobody's business... perhaps the wind is why we don't have any inversions! They call Chicago the Windy City, naw, Chicago has nothing on the winds we have. 40-50 mph and more days than I can count!
You said it!

Inversions cannot incur when there is wind! One of the parameters necessary is to have no wind.
Just like smog in summer. The wind will blow it away.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:22 PM

Also blows away chickens. Saw my chicken coop fly by my office window!! :P

Old 02-13-2018, 01:03 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
My home is on the market and we're moving OUT of State after having been here for the last 24 years. I'm a senior and am semi retiring using just an internet based job to add a few bucks to my bank account each month. Living here because of work is of no incentive to ME as it would be for most. Reasons I'm leaving:

* Taxes (and consistently going UP)
* No breaks for Seniors (Utah taxes your Social Security)
* Population growth big time (not my thing I prefer open spaces)
* Horrid traffic (Utah has some of the WORST drivers there are and dangerous to drive around).
* Crud air quality far too often.
* Majority religious group runs the State (not for that either).

As they say "to each their own"

Old 02-14-2018, 09:09 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
My home is on the market and we're moving OUT of State after having been here for the last 24 years. I'm a senior and am semi retiring using just an internet based job to add a few bucks to my bank account each month. Living here because of work is of no incentive to ME as it would be for most. Reasons I'm leaving:

* Taxes (and consistently going UP)
* No breaks for Seniors (Utah taxes your Social Security)
* Population growth big time (not my thing I prefer open spaces)
* Horrid traffic (Utah has some of the WORST drivers there are and dangerous to drive around).
* Crud air quality far too often.
* Majority religious group runs the State (not for that either).

As they say "to each their own"
Ironic to have read this after just commenting to someone that I thought Utah would be an awesome place to live if you were able to not have to depend on a local job for income.

I do think it's true that people leave for better paying jobs elsewhere or if raised in Utah just to get out and experience life outside the state.

No question the state has awesome outdoor recreation opportunities and is one of the most scenic. I love Utah for what it offers. Aside from the social security tax issue (I have no idea how various states compare on that issue) it seems like not such a bad place to retire.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:38 PM

I am one who moved here because I had a remote tech job and didn't have to worry about getting work here. I get reamed every year at tax time to the tune of 2500+ owed to the State for working outside of the state. I also agree with the crazy fricking drivers. Speed limit on 15 near me is 80 and most go 90. Anyway, it didn't work for me but it is beautiful and I have an awesome view of the mtns north of Zion out my back window. I'm plotting my exit.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:38 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,221,686 times
We moved here about 6 years ago - and find ourselves caught between strong positives and negatives.

The positives are the great nature and outdoor options that mean a lot to us.

The negatives are
- The inversions and air quality situation (even as we are marginally better off at about 5000 ft elevation)
- The local political situation. It is a one party state with corrupt politicians, heavily influenced by the dominant religion and working to undermine the very nature that makes the state so special. And, it is here to stay - given the religious composition and the unofficial drift of the LDS church.

So, despite loving our day to day life by and large - we remain quite open and interested in moving on. Whether we do remains to be seen but more open to it than is reasonable given how well it suites us and how happy we are with aspects other than the above.

Does the hopeless state of politics in the state really matter? I'd have said absolutely not before moving here. Not so sure any more.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exi-cali View Post
Anyway, it didn't work for me but it is beautiful and I have an awesome view of the mtns north of Zion out my back window. I'm plotting my exit.
Go for it, and then come back to visit, when you need a break from the next place where you can find more of the similar... ?

Due to work situations, we lived in many places (not just the USA), and finally settled down in Utah.
I hated it here but I always say: "You get used to everything, even hanging from on a rope around your neck (!) and then say *Oh well* "

I love it here now, simply because I learned not to worry about things around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah