Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,757,641 times

Advertisements

I can assure you my thoughts will most certainly be ALL forward and not looking back. I've already received several PM's from folks that agree with my assessment and a few that thanked me for my input. Whether you choose to look at the half full or half empty side of things it's up to you. Moving to most folks (and me) is a HUGE decision and should come only after considerable investigation and research into the why's and what if's. I realize you're a lifer here so I get that. I'm just thinking along the lines and hoping I have some good years left. I'm not going to waste them on a place that falls considerably short of what I'm comfortable in. After 25 years of it as I say, it wasn't ALL bad.....just had migrated to that level now where the plug has to be pulled. I do fully realize that everyone will have to evaluate their desire to move or live here individually. Whether your Mormon, Catholic, non denominational, Athiest, Gay, Black, single or married, all will have a completely different take on being here based on their personal needs, desires and how this place meets up with those. I totally get that. As a senior my take on this place has indeed morphed to a different view as that is the nature of such a development. I have NO family here (which is an obvious draw), I never have liked but now more so heavy population and traffic scenarios. It's indeed a personal thing. I don't care for a predominant religious makeup dominating the political scene as well. So with all that said that's my take on it. When I cross the border I'm not intending on crossing THAT border again. As I'm sure you'll be thrilled to hear, I'll be leaving this forum officially and permanently as it will no longer apply to my life. So I guess I'll leave it at that. Anyone that wishes to discuss it further is welcome to PM me but I won't beat this dead horse further

Old 03-02-2018, 07:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Good luck with your new path! I wish you the best.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Thank you Belle

Old 03-03-2018, 08:59 AM

3,093 posts, read 2,218,264 times
Thank you, dcisive and all the best! While I did not agree with some of your take, I have found them to be substantive and much needed perspective to the usual Pollyanna take on the state that is more popular. There are strong positives in this state - nature being top. And, then there is the one-party nature of the state that is corruptly governed - an aspect with no end in sight. It is the state of the one party voters, by the developers and for the developers and corrupt politicians - which are often the same, and for the developers, one party politicians and the dominant religion. So, your long term perspective is, in my opinion, more right than wrong and certain negativism is not unwarranted.

With that, I will retreat to the self imposed extension of my exile.

Last edited by kavm; 03-03-2018 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-03-2018, 11:03 AM

Thank you Kavm. I wish you the best as well.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:18 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,897 times
There were 3 primary reasons I left:

1. Religion - Not only did I dislike the monoculture and ever present pressure to conform to a religious lifestyle that I'd left behind, but the state-level political scene was incredibly frustrating. One party runs the state, and one faith runs the state-level version of that party. No thanks. I even saw this in my limited professional life there. Want to move up the ladder in certain companies? Well, you'd better be making all the "right" choices on Sunday as well.
2. Air Quality - It's bad, there's really no way around this. Unless you're very wealthy and can afford Summit County, of course, but from Logan to Spanish Fork - the air quality is not only unhealthy, it's depressing.
3. Cost - I didn't mind WVC, in fact I still maintain that it's not even a tenth as bad as people say it is, but I didn't live there because I dreamed of tract-style suburban sprawl and bad schools; I moved there because housing prices in Salt Lake County are way beyond what salaries allow one to reasonably own, and there is absolutely zero appeal to Davis and Utah Counties. The kinds of neighborhoods one can afford in other interior cities on moderate salaries blow away what one can afford in Utah. If I wanted West Coast prices, I'd move to the West Coast, not East Millcreek.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:56 PM

Hard to argue with those points. Aside from my daily listening to my scanner, where WVC is responsible for probably no less then 80% of all negative police calls. A mixture of South Salt Lake and Salt Lake proper for the rest it makes sense. One can gloss over what WVC has to do with issues regarding crime. If your threshold is high I guess you could ignore it. In Detroit it's several leagues beyond that even so I guess I'm not surprised it never bothered you. Where I'm headed I'm not expecting to much if any of that type of stuff Maybe someone's cow that got loose

Old 03-05-2018, 08:42 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,897 times
There's no way around the metro I moved to being rough in places, but the city I live in (Berkley) had 6.94 total crimes per 1,000 residents in 2016. Contrast this with Herriman where that number is 21.93 per 1000 or West Valley at 53.07 per 1000, and I can safely say that I don't lose much sleep at night, nor did I in West Valley.

Generally speaking, people are good to one another and not out to cause problems. The news would lead you to believe otherwise, but news today is a collection of stories told for profit, statistics are reporting observations to increase understanding. I highly doubt crime is a motivating factor in anyone's choice to leave Utah. There's a lot of negative to say about the state, but crime isn't on that list. Overall, it’s quite safe.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:14 PM

I get that. Sure just like the town which has the company I used to represent around the country being Rochester on the North. A very high end clean and safe town north of Detroit. As for crime in Utah it's on the rise so it's trends I'm more concerned about. Let alone the horrid drivers that keep confirming my fear of them, as in 400+ crashes during the last huge snow storm here. They just don't know how nor care to properly drive. But that's just a few in the group of reasons I'm headed out.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:38 PM

239 posts, read 660,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Utah has one of the strongest economies in the USA, and is one of the most scenic states in the USA. Therefore, why are more people moving out of Utah than moving into Utah? It is the only state in the western USA that is seeing this trend. Even California, which is reputed to be a state that many people are fleeing, actually has a balanced migration pattern. According to a study by United Van Lines, Utah ranks No. 9 among the states with the highest percentage of outbound moves, at 55.7%, while neighboring states Idaho, Nevada, Colorado, and Arizona rank among the top 10 for inbound moves Here are some articles:

https://utahbusiness.com/utah-seeing...ve-move-state/
Utah among top 10 states people are leaving according to moving company | KUTV
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...oving-out.html
https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46228470&nid=148

Why are move people moving out of Utah than moving into Utah?

What can Utah do to keep people in the state and discourage people from moving out of the state?
This is completely fake news. Utah has the third highest growth rate in America. There is no need to argue this point. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_growth_rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah