Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 12,221 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm hoping and praying to get a job at the Best Friends Sanctuary starting this summer/fall. I've been doing research on Kanab and although it would be really hard to go from NYC suburbia to a small, isolated town, I think I'm ready for the shock and experience! What I'd like to know is: aside from Kanab, what are the best places to live that are not too expensive and possibly allow dogs? And I still need to take one or two college level classes, are there any community colleges no more than about an hour away? I saw Dixie State College was about 1 1/2 hrs, are there any others? Thanks for any info you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM

37 posts, read 220,006 times
From suburban NYC to Kanab, UT... talk about culture shock. Kanab is probably one of the more isolated towns in the nation...although it is beautiful.

I don't know much about Best Friends Sanctuary... or what you mean exactly when you say "allow dogs"...

But I will tell you... coming from suburban NYC... I would think St. George would be a much better fit. Kanab has a tiny population of less than 4,000 people... whereas the St. George area has about 150,000 people. Dixie college is located in St. George and you have much better access to services and shopping. You might also want to check out Cedar City... home of Southern Utah University... Cedar City is about 45 minutes North of St. George and has a population of about 25,000 people.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:33 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,340 times
Wow, that would be a change! =) We plan to visit the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary this mos in April. It looks wonderful. I have lived in Akron, OH, & now in a burb of SLC, UT, &, I personally don't think I could handle Kanab. When people say 'culture' shock, it is a totally different world down there.

I agree, St. George would be a better fit. More city like. But, if you're in Kanab, you have to eat at Three Bears Creamery. My friend's parents own it! LOL

Old 04-03-2008, 12:07 PM

35 posts, read 122,603 times
Default Schools near Kanab/Best Friends Sanctuary

I visited Best Friends Sanctuary about four years ago during my first visit to southern Utah. Have you ever called them and asked about housing? Back then I believe there was housing right on the property for people who helped out. I would imagine they would help you find a place to live if you plan to spend your time to help. It is a lovely facility with many caring people and lots of animals.

As for schools? I'm not aware of any, but St. George has Dixie College and many public schools.

Kanab is beautiful. I intend to visit there again this summer.

Good luck.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Default thanks for the replies!

thanks so much for everyone responding! i am definitely going to ask best friends if they know of any living situations around there, just thought i would ask some locals if they knew of any options. i know it's going to be a culture shock, I'm nervous but incredibly excited at the same time!

By "allow dogs" I just meant if the house/apartment would let dogs live there too.

I'm really really hoping to get the job and live there for a couple of years, new experiences! I will definitely eat at the Three Bears Creamery , and let them know I was sent there!

Thanks again!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:56 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
Within the Kanab city limits, you are limited to two dogs per household. For that reason, a lot of Best Friends people live outside the city limits. I believe several staff members live in Fredonia, Arizona. Some people seem to own in Vermillion Cliffs, which I think is right outside the city limits.
I think there are some rentals (mobile homes) in Kanab at Kanab Creek Ranchos. I did talk to one staffer who rented there. He said he was troubled by how some of the nearby renters treated their dogs and other animals.
Culture shock, indeed!
If you are out there, you must drive three hours north to Boulder, Utah, and eat at Hell's Backbone Grill (nationally reviewed, rave reviews). They have a website and a wonderful book about how the restaurant came to be in one of the few towns much more remote than Kanab!
I plan to come back for a visit next year, volunteer at Old Friends (old dogs), eat at Hell's Backbone, and ride horses at Hondoo Outfitters. And not go in the summer. It was 105 every day I was there and I was wildly allergic (for the first time in my life) to something called "chronopods," which I think are trees that have pods. Or something. Note, buy your own allergy medicines before you leave for Utah. There was really little selection in town.
I'm aiming for next April or May. I love Best Friends, and find the area's geology stupendous.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:02 AM

18,705 posts, read 33,369,579 times
P.S.
Regarding housing on the Best Friends property, there are some 8 cottages (like one-bedroom apartments) and I think maybe ten cabins. They are paid rentals for volunteers, and are not intended (or priced) to be a longer living situation. They get booked fast. I stayed in a cottage (view of the horse pastures) and it was a beautiful little place, with a deck and fabulous views. It cost $670/week for high season, and that's the price for a B.F. member. It is not meant to be on-going housing, but is a great place for a visit. You can rent one of those places and volunteer as much or as little as you like. I ended up not volunteering in the afternoon due to the heat and allergies. Some people I knew in another cottage volunteered some time and spent the other time taking the kids to Zion, Grand Canyon and so on. There is a volunteer coordinator and the website has all the info you nee about a volunteer vacation, or a half-day visit/tour, but I don't think they can offer much in terms of relocation, even if you plan to volunteer there.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 67,886 times
St. George is 1.5 hours from Kanab. Cedar City is about 2 hours. There are other towns north of Kanab: Orderville, Glendale, Alton. If you want culture shock, go live in Alton. It is 45 minutes north of Kanab. 95.7 people. (I just called and one lady is 7 months pregnant). I'm joking, but they really do have around 125 people or so. Add to your list to go to Alton on July 4th for the celebration: Ductch oven mutton, beef and other wonderful foods.

There is one other community college that hasn't been mentioned: Mohave Community College. I'm not sure where it is but when I lived in Kanab, people often said they worked there or took classes there.

Housing in St. George (where I currently live) is very very tight right now.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:23 PM

26 posts, read 130,327 times
Mohave Community College is in Colorado City, Arizona on the Arizona Strip. It's about 35 miles from Fredonia so a little over 40 from Kanab.

Housing in Kanab is not all that tight right now. There are a few apartments for rent and a few mobile homes as well.

I am a Realtor with ERA Utah Properties in Kanab but I work out of the Big Water, Lake Powell, Page Arizona area and run the Lake Powell Real Estate Blog.

St. George is the nearest bigger town, but Page Arizona - about 70 miles from Kanab has not only Lake Powell but a super Walmart (lol) as well as a ton of restaurants and a tich of night life.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 AM

thanks again for the updates! i really appreciate everything! still trying to figure everything out. i'm definitely not restricting myself to finding a house or apt in kanab, but i dont want to be too far away either. i was thinking something in between st. george and kanab so i could be in between work and school (dixie state) but i'd definitely be open to anything at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah