Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 PM

9,339 posts, read 6,876,984 times

Advertisements

Please be mindful this is not California and don’t expect this place to change to meet Californian expectations. I’ve met enough entitled Californians here to know better. Just a bit of advice and you’ll fit in just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 10:58 PM

8 posts, read 8,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Please be mindful this is not California and don’t expect this place to change to meet Californian expectations. I’ve met enough entitled Californians here to know better. Just a bit of advice and you’ll fit in just fine.
If you wouldn't mind clarifying, I don't really understand what advice you are giving. I never stated that I expected Utah to be anything like California. In fact, I'm looking forward to the differences it can offer. Did I portray myself as an entitled Californian?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:51 AM

2,617 posts, read 6,986,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwinsb View Post
If you wouldn't mind clarifying, I don't really understand what advice you are giving. I never stated that I expected Utah to be anything like California. In fact, I'm looking forward to the differences it can offer. Did I portray myself as an entitled Californian?
Just a general observation that might shed some light. Listening to many here in Utah, you'd get the impression that Utah is being overwhelmed by Californians, and they seem to come in 2 basic models:

1. the progressives who want lower taxes and cost of living but bring their progressive mindset and other hated, liberal, coastal ways and aren't shy about sharing their views, and,

2. the regressives seeking to reclaim the "freedoms" they are losing in CA. Such freedoms seem to be stuff no pesky zoning codes, riding ATVs all over the desert, shooting guns in their backyard and stuff like that.

The first group can clash with Utah culture and are often seen as the entitled ones. The second seems to assume that Utah is a pure land, free of intervention by the despised federal gov't, or maybe any gov't at all. I'm simplifying for the sake of making the point, but there's more than a grain of truth to it.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 07-23-2018 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: detail omitted

Old 07-24-2018, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Just a general observation that might shed some light. Listening to many here in Utah, you'd get the impression that Utah is being overwhelmed by Californians, and they seem to come in 2 basic models:

1. the progressives who want lower taxes and cost of living but bring their progressive mindset and other hated, liberal, coastal ways and aren't shy about sharing their views, and,

2. the regressives seeking to reclaim the "freedoms" they are losing in CA. Such freedoms seem to be stuff no pesky zoning codes, riding ATVs all over the desert, shooting guns in their backyard and stuff like that.

The first group can clash with Utah culture and are often seen as the entitled ones. The second seems to assume that Utah is a pure land, free of intervention by the despised federal gov't, or maybe any gov't at all. I'm simplifying for the sake of making the point, but there's more than a grain of truth to it.
Thanks for your detailed input, kletter1mann. That is an interesting way to look at it. I am not very political but definitely a very social being and I will keep this in mind if we end up moving there. We're ready for a change & are open to different ways of being/thinking. Shall I assume you are an SLC resident? If so, are Californians generally being frowned upon for moving there? I'd hate to initiate a move only to find out that our fellow 'former' Californians have given us a bad name.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:44 AM

272 posts, read 266,262 times
Quote:
Thanks for your detailed input, kletter1mann. That is an interesting way to look at it. I am not very political but definitely a very social being and I will keep this in mind if we end up moving there. We're ready for a change & are open to different ways of being/thinking. Shall I assume you are an SLC resident? If so, are Californians generally being frowned upon for moving there? I'd hate to initiate a move only to find out that our fellow 'former' Californians have given us a bad name.

It may be beneficial to read past posts of various people to get a better idea of what type of person is giving you advice and whether or not their opinions are valuable or should be accompanied by a 20 pound bag of salt. This suggestion applies to all members of this forum, including myself.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 AM

2,617 posts, read 6,986,956 times
Quote:
I live in Holladay, but that's just an SLC suburb minutes away. Also an NY transplant. I myself have no opinion on CA transplants. In fact, if you're in group 1 it would do Utah good IMO. Regardless, some here DO seemed freaked out that Californians are overrunning the place. Utah is changing fast and there's a general angst about it. What's really overrunning the place are all the fresh LDS babies being produced. Doubtless New Yorkers would be even more frowned on by those who frown on "outsiders taking over," there just aren't enough of us. But if Utah has charms or attraction for you I wouldn't worry about it.

I've heard anecdotally (but repeatedly) that the state govt was quietly relieved that Amazon rejected SLC/Utah because of the social/cultural changes that it would bring with it. Make of this what you will. But as Grace Slick sang years ago, "Life is change. How it differs from the rocks."

Old 07-25-2018, 10:15 PM

27,889 posts, read 29,695,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
I live in Holladay, but that's just an SLC suburb minutes away. Also an NY transplant. I myself have no opinion on CA transplants. In fact, if you're in group 1 it would do Utah good IMO. Regardless, some here DO seemed freaked out that Californians are overrunning the place. Utah is changing fast and there's a general angst about it. What's really overrunning the place are all the fresh LDS babies being produced. Doubtless New Yorkers would be even more frowned on by those who frown on "outsiders taking over," there just aren't enough of us. But if Utah has charms or attraction for you I wouldn't worry about it.
I have no opinion on California transplants either. I couldn't care less who moves in as long as they're good neighbors.

Quote:
I've heard anecdotally (but repeatedly) that the state govt was quietly relieved that Amazon rejected SLC/Utah because of the social/cultural changes that it would bring with it. Make of this what you will. But as Grace Slick sang years ago, "Life is change. How it differs from the rocks."
That would seriously surprise me. As a matter of fact, it seems to be almost opposite from what I hear every time a large national company considers Salt Lake City.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:02 PM

9,339 posts, read 6,876,984 times
Quote:
My comment was not directed at anything about you or what you portrayed other than being born and raised in California but considering a relo to Utah.

Utah has a significant amount of transplants from across the country with a higher proportion coming from California. In my opinion in the 7 years we have lived here I have been neighbors and colleagues with many Californians with a far varying degree of "perspective". I have found that many of the LDS Californians (predominantly form SoCal/SD area) fit in rather well. The Non LDS tend to have a counter culture perspective and reject Utah culture and very condescending or dismissive of it.

My only advice is to be pliable or open to different perspectives and recognize that there is a significant difference to California and the rest of the country as well as Utah specifically. One is neither better or wore just different. I myself am a transplant and have embraced the culture as best as possible; ultimately finding it a successful approach.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:28 PM

Sorry I've been MIA as I've been on "mommy duty" 24-7 for way too long. Is it time for school to start yet?!

I wanted to thank you all for your detailed responses and also to SWFL_Native for your explanation. That helps me to see where your comment is coming from.

My husband actually visited SLC and the surrounding areas for 4 days this past weekend. He drove through all of the areas you all suggested & he was ultimately drawn to 2 particular areas: Cottonwood Heights (and nearby) area(s) and Park City. Two different dynamics, I have been led to believe. Is this true?

Does anyone have any specific details about these particular areas? Some of our concerns are: activities to do with the children (museums, parks, zoo, biking (we love to ride bikes from our home to downtown for eating/drinking/playing), schools & their performance, amount of commute to get to activities like hiking/biking/others?, amount of commute to get to shopping (groceries, mall/clothing/etc).

Any input you all have or additional info on these particular areas is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-14-2018, 10:04 PM

27,889 posts, read 29,695,346 times
Quote:
Sorry I've been MIA as I've been on "mommy duty" 24-7 for way too long. Is it time for school to start yet?!

I wanted to thank you all for your detailed responses and also to SWFL_Native for your explanation. That helps me to see where your comment is coming from.

My husband actually visited SLC and the surrounding areas for 4 days this past weekend. He drove through all of the areas you all suggested & he was ultimately drawn to 2 particular areas: Cottonwood Heights (and nearby) area(s) and Park City. Two different dynamics, I have been led to believe. Is this true?

Does anyone have any specific details about these particular areas? Some of our concerns are: activities to do with the children (museums, parks, zoo, biking (we love to ride bikes from our home to downtown for eating/drinking/playing), schools & their performance, amount of commute to get to activities like hiking/biking/others?, amount of commute to get to shopping (groceries, mall/clothing/etc).

Any input you all have or additional info on these particular areas is greatly appreciated!
I'm nearing 70 years of age and have lived in Cottonwood Heights for the past 36 years -- half my life! (Wow! I'd never stopped to think of it that way before.) My husband and I raised two kids here and are now retired. I can't think of a single solitary thing that would make us want to consider a move away from this area. Unfortunately, all I know about Park City is from brief visits there. It's a charming town, but pretty pricey.

Cottonwood Heights is very centrally located within the Salt Lake Valley. You can get pretty much anywhere in the Salt Lake area within a 30-minute drive from Cottonwood Heights. We have an absolutely fantastic recreation center with swimming, ice skating, a gym, racquetball courts, etc. Excellent shopping is available within a 10-minute drive. I would not describe it as particularly "walkable," though. I mean, you always see people out walking their dogs, etc., but there is no actual downtown area within the city. Access to outdoor recreation is the best in the Salt Lake City area. You're literally 15 minutes away from hiking, camping and picnicking. It's a great, family-oriented place to raise a family and a lot of young families are moving in to the area. The middle-school and elementary school near us were built within the last five years.

I'm sure there's a lot to be said for Park City, too, though. I just don't know the area well enough to be making a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah