U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 04:03 PM

2,512 posts, read 5,995,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Agreed, although I could less about pot, the "laws" will ONLY ebb and flow with what "the church" says, I can't even watch or read the local news anymore because you can't escape it. I agree being a minority (religiously speaking) is really hard here.

I also HATE the dirty air in SLC, we moved out of SLC just to get away away from the pollution. The city is growing up too fast with high density living but no infrastructure to maintain it such as mass transit. SLC wants to play with the big cities but doesn't want to invest in the long term.
Quite so, but it's worse than that. SLC is just a fraction of the Wasatch front. I'd amend your comment thus:
"Utah's gov't wants to play with the big cities..... " Utah's state govt hasn't yet learned to take planning seriously. It won't end well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 07:51 PM

117 posts, read 119,038 times
Not sure if the OP is even following this thread anymore.....

I have lived in Utah three times now. The first time in high school. I loved the SLC Metro area. Had a list a mile long of positives. My enthusiasm at being an 18 year old took me elsewhere. Moved back in in my early 30's, same list but started shrinking. A few years ago moved back to Phoenix, hated what PHX has become and after a month back took a job transfer to Las Vegas... Not even going there.

Family illness and obligation brought me back 4 months ago. Unfortunately I can say any positive I had is either gone or I now have a negative to counter it regarding the SLC valley. If I am going to have to be in Utah for awhile I will be moving down to Utah County and no, I am neither LDS nor Christian. Or looking into further north.

Outside of the air pollution, traffic and horrible drivers on the freeways in SLC I notice more graffiti, more crime, more gang activity which was already an issue amd the stench of pot a normal occurrence. Today alone I had a young Bam Margera looking kid reeking like a skunk sprayed his L.A. Dodgers hat tell me to watch out because the cashier at Starbucks just stole his Subaru keys he was holding in his hand, seen a burnout at a bus stop on Redwood road sitting there in his Raiders jacket and hat puffing away on his glass pipe and came back to my apartment in a non smoking apt complex in Murray smelling like a Dispensary. Again. Like nearly every day.

I am a Millennial and will never understand the mentality of needing to constantly get high to enjoy life. HAVING life and being able to LIVE it is the greatest rush and highest of highs if you have your head on straight and your act together.

I'd say if that is your thing then you'll love Salt Angeles City. If not? Honestly Utah County gets a bad wrap but if you are looking to live around good hardworking people with their priorities straight? Looking for low crime? Utah County is a better option.

Old 11-03-2020, 06:18 PM

340 posts, read 215,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyafterfirstglance View Post
Update:

I've paid a few more visits to the Western states, including Utah's Wasatch Front region, for business and leisure, since I started this thread.

While I've also got to see Texas quite a bit more extensively, I have reached the point where I tolerate living here because of the sheer magnitude of things going on in Houston, and the fact that Austin and Fort Worth are cool and somewhat easily accessible (Dallas and San Antonio don't "do it" for me). However, Houston's still an ugly mess with the worst drivers imaginable (I know that Utah drivers aren't great, but Houston's are just next level). Austin's beautiful but only great for a weekend trip, and, honestly, too full of pretentious yuppies these days. Fort Worth is culturally interesting but arguably uglier than Houston, once you leave the (admittedly nice) urban core.

Extreme west Texas is beautiful, but El Paso isn't much to write home about, so it really feels desolate out there. The Hill Country is beautiful but has arguably the worst allergy situation in the United States. Stemming from that, every December through March, Hill Country pollen blows over to the Houston area and combines with Saharan dust that blows over from north Africa, and, lo and behold, it seems like everyone in Houston gets sick. (I understand that Utah's inversions are no joke, either, but there's no way they can rival Texas' and the South's overall allergy situation. Bear in mind, I grew up in the South, so I should know about the South.)

Lastly, while there are good people everywhere, and Texas has no shortage of them, I also don't find Texans (and Southerners) to be as friendly overall as they purport themselves to be.

My point is ultimately this: My trips out West, and the genuinely positive social experiences I've had just as a tourist, have helped strengthen my resolve to move back out West. Maybe I've just had dumb luck...but I don't think so.

At the very top of my list is Utah, namely the Wasatch Front region. I like downtown, I like Sugar House. Heck, I even like Park City and Provo. Secondarily, I'm also considering St. George (obviously in Utah), Albuquerque/Santa Fe (though it has an anemic job market) and now Sacramento (honestly a hidden gem, but still subject to Californian politics). I love greater Los Angeles and was actually happy living there overall, but only an out-of-this-world job offer can bring me back there at this point; for every one amazing pro of living there, there's also one hair-pulling con. I was interested in Colorado, but I've chalked that state up to be absolutely wonderful and lovely...to visit.

So, I'll continue monitoring the C-D Utah fora, and pose more questions if they come up.

Thanks to everyone who has responded over the last few months.
It's because Utah consistently ranks as the highest state, or among the highest, for social capital. Other top contenders are Minnesota and Wisconsin.

https://medium.com/@michael_hendrix/...a-c6cef6bae50b

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer/...h=2be31b9d5625
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah