Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,447 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to a mountain state and have narrowed it down to either Park City, Utah or Telluride, Colorado. We're in our mid 40s and have a young child so these are our priorities:

1. Clean air.
2. Stunning scenery.
3. Excellent schools.
4. A sense of community.
5. Outdoor activities: we love to hike, run, rock climb, mountain bike, kayak, do nature photography and just be outside.
6. Must have all four seasons - with snow in the winter guaranteed, a summer that does not get too hot, and pretty autumns.
7. Local wildlife would also be nice.
8. Good restaurants / pubs / places to hang.

Which of these two mountain cities sound like they'll best suit us? Any insights are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 05:05 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElise View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to a mountain state and have narrowed it down to either Park City, Utah or Telluride, Colorado. We're in our mid 40s and have a young child so these are our priorities:

1. Clean air.
2. Stunning scenery.
3. Excellent schools.
4. A sense of community.
5. Outdoor activities: we love to hike, run, rock climb, mountain bike, kayak, do nature photography and just be outside.
6. Must have all four seasons - with snow in the winter guaranteed, a summer that does not get too hot, and pretty autumns.
7. Local wildlife would also be nice.
8. Good restaurants / pubs / places to hang.

Which of these two mountain cities sound like they'll best suit us? Any insights are greatly appreciated!
I have been to Telluride but have never lived there. As a native Salt Laker, I am, of course, more familiar with Park City. My gut feeling is that you couldn't go wrong either place. You didn't mention distance from a major airport, so maybe that's not a big deal to you. If if it, Park City is definitely closer to Salt Lake City than Telluride is to Denver.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,230,068 times
^^^ As above, Park City is closer to a major city. If you need a city for work income, that probably rules out Telluride. I'm not a huge fan of Park City. It used to be nice, but it looks to have grown by leaps and bounds over the past couple decades. Come to think of it, I haven't been to Telluride in a couple decades either, and I understand it's grown lots too.

*Flips coin* Telluride would be my pick.

Old 07-07-2019, 03:24 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Telluride is certainly the more upscale of the two and far nicer IMO. It's also small, remote and hard to get to. Park City - the main st - is fun in it's way but the area has become sprawling, crowded and little more than part of the SLC suburbang sprawl, albeit in an expensive highfalootin way. Telluride seems more real, whatever that means in the context of a high end mountain resort town. The skiing at Telluride is vastly better than PC and less dominated by drunken BroBrahs.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:43 PM

9,373 posts, read 6,972,249 times
If you can afford telluride then you must live there. It’s my heaven!

PC is great but not special.

https://www.colorado.com/sites/defau...?itok=fYtAvfgh

https://www.visittelluride.com/site/...9548731402.jpg

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...g?format=2500w

Go in the fall and winter you’ll be hooked. Brown dog pizza with left hand brewing beer is the best.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:00 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,481,214 times
Telluride is so stunning, wow. But I agree PC has better access to what you could possibly need in a major metro. Telluride is very isolated.
Edit: Grand Junction is a sizable city within a 2 hour drive in good weather.

Last edited by Code Stemi; 07-08-2019 at 10:12 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 09:20 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Telluride is very nice, but the location is absolutely ridiculous. Basic amenities like schools and hospitals are lacking in Telluride. Restaurants become predictable, and the grocery store selection in Telluride is pathetic. Telluride is a nice place to visit, maybe have a second home/investment property, but live in Telluride? No way.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:25 AM

4 posts, read 6,447 times
It's really looking like Park City is our place. I need a major airport for both domestic and international travel for work, plus I like having amenities like grocery stores and post offices and whatnot nearby. I absolutely adore Telluride but as several people have noted, it's hard to get to. Plus, I really like the idea of a nice neighborhood where we can put down roots and possibly start our own business.

Our move is still two years away but I'm excited to start researching in more depth and buy a house. Thanks for all of your comments - they have been a tremendous help.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,128 times
I have lived in both places, so I have a reasonably good frame of reference.

Telluride is far nicer in scenery and incredible beauty. But the people there are often very ego driven and not particularly friendly. The nearest supermarket is in Cortez. Ridgway's market is small and expensive. The winters are dark and the plowing isn't great. Medical care is far away and roads in winter can be icy.

Park City I didn't like nearly as much, but it's convenient.

That sums it up.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:10 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,547,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I have lived in both places, so I have a reasonably good frame of reference.

Telluride is far nicer in scenery and incredible beauty. But the people there are often very ego driven and not particularly friendly. The nearest supermarket is in Cortez. Ridgway's market is small and expensive. The winters are dark and the plowing isn't great. Medical care is far away and roads in winter can be icy.

Park City I didn't like nearly as much, but it's convenient.

That sums it up.
Exactly. Although, I think Park City is quite lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah