Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 08:34 AM

3,083 posts, read 2,213,841 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of a camping trip to this area over Thanksgiving.

Our first thought is to camp in the Canyonlands Needles district. In the past, we have made a couple of day trips out to hike a couple of trails while staying in Moab. Hoping to do a bit more serious hiking by staying there. The catch is that the park campground(s?) does not take reservations at this time of the year, and we cannot get there much before 6:30-7 PM on Wednesday.

Researching the alternatives in case we don't find a spot in the park campground, I came across the fact that the Bears Ears monument is also in the area - and the BLM Hamburger Rock campground (an alternative) is actually in Bears Ears. But - reading about Bears Ears, I read that a high-clearance 4x4 vehicle is required to visit it (and we are traveling in a passenger car).

With that - I am wondering if the locals have any advice relating to:
  • Chances that the campground at Needles has spot on Thanksgiving. We are thinking we have a shot as the Needles district doesn't get many visitors, but this is just based upon a couple of visits.
  • Any advice/recommendations on the alternatives if we find ourselves without a spot?
  • Can one visit Bears Ears with a passenger car? Note - we are into (interesting) hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 01:16 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
To my knowledge, Hamburger rock campground is NOT in the bears ears monument. I have not lived in SE UT for five years (I used to work for the BLM canyon country district which had oversight over the Moab and Monticello Field offices), but believe that area was left untouched.) It's on BLM lands and is just before the entrance to Needles to the north on Lockhart Rd; usually no problem obtaining a place to camp. (https://www.blm.gov/visit/hamburger-rock-campground) Call the BLM Monticello office, that is their responsibility. They can tell you if the road is ok for passage with a passenger car or should be able to, I believe the road is maintained by San Juan County.

There are roads off 211 that head through the Abajo mountains from 211 to the bears ears entrance; but I would not try them on a passenger vehicle. Especially that late in the fall with the possibility of snow. I have only traveled them with a very high clearance 4x4 myself.

So from Needles you need to head back to 211, then south through Monticello and Blanding to 95 and go west.

If you head to the entrance for the bears ears off hwy 95, another alternative is Cedar Mesa down to Moki Dugway (a nice easy switchback) that goes down into the Valley of the Gods, rough but was passable with a passenger car.

Again, BLM Monticello should be able to help, that is all their area; including the Bears Ears monument. Which I might add is ok, but really, never anything spectacular to me (and those who I have spoke with about the place.)

If into dispersed camping (no toilets, no hook ups, there are tons of places to just pull over and camp on BLM lands (so long as they are not on a river).

Old 11-17-2019, 01:35 PM

f5fstop - Thank you for your detailed response. I will definitely call BLM Monticello to get their advice. Our first interest is/has been the Needles district of Canyonlands NP. If that works out, we will likely focus on that.

I got to Bears Ears looking at some maps and observing that it was also around there somewhere. [Have been to that general area several times, but don't have a clear idea about where.] I will look at the roads / alternatives you mentioned to familiarize myself. Hamburger Rock is our backup plan for camping...

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2019, 03:17 PM

Yes, when bears ears was made it also included some areas north of the Abajo mountains. I have never figure that out the purpose behind bears ears being so large. The southern area (which is in the forest was the logical area) made sense. (I was wrong I believe when I said BLM controlled it, I believe they have part of the original area but most falls under the forest service.)

But from what I can remember, the cut off for the northern part was basically south of 211. Even if hamburger rock is included monuments are far from national parks. They basically only cut off future roads, camping, oil/gas exploration (usually) and they always allow dogs. If the NPS takes over a national monument they start to add more controls such as dogs not allowed except in camping areas, road closures, etc. (not that the BLM and NF don't close some roads, but generally, especially UT, they keep as many open as possible so long as they are logical no cherry stems or parallel roads).

Have fun....
Next year head to the Maze district, but rent or bring a good 4x4. Best part of the park (other than the White Rim Trail in Island in the sky).

Old 11-17-2019, 06:58 PM

Visiting the Maze district has been a long term ambition. The cost of 4x4 rentals to take a multi-day trip into it does, however, seem rather high. For people who want mainly to drive around - it might be worth it. We are mainly into driving to camp / trailhead - and it seems rather much to pay $230-$300/day and add ons above that...

Old 11-23-2019, 03:42 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Visiting the Maze district has been a long term ambition. The cost of 4x4 rentals to take a multi-day trip into it does, however, seem rather high. For people who want mainly to drive around - it might be worth it. We are mainly into driving to camp / trailhead - and it seems rather much to pay $230-$300/day and add ons above that...

Well, if you ding or roll one over and damage the land - that will be the least of your worries. I have a real problem with jeeps creating new trails on sensitive land in that region.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:49 PM

And, what part of my post even remotely suggested creating new trails in that region?

Old 11-25-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
And, what part of my post even remotely suggested creating new trails in that region?
Nothing, but some just have to comment. And I would bet, that person has NEVER been in the Maze!

Old 11-25-2019, 02:07 PM

Thank you!

Old 11-26-2019, 03:22 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Nothing, but some just have to comment. And I would bet, that person has NEVER been in the Maze!

Don't have to be in the maze to see stupidity.

If you worked for the BLM as you wrote - you've seen the expert drivers on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah