U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-14-2020, 12:01 PM
 
2,687 posts, read 901,228 times
Reputation: 7715

Advertisements

My experience is that the drivers around the Valley are fairly aggressive, and don't have a lot of empathy for tourists who are not as familiar with the roads (some of the downhill winding roads through the canyons can be tricky in bad weather, especially when one doesn't know "what you can get away with" as far as speed, so out-of-staters tend to be more cautious, and not well-tolerated). And this is from someone who (used to) manage Chicago commutes daily. I-15 between the airport and maybe Farmington can be a white knuckler for someone not familiar with all the mandatory exits, the relatively high speed limit, and the relative lack of lighting after dark. Once you know the territory it's much easier, but the first few times were interesting, LOL. My rule was to get behind a truck, having good confidence I could out-brake and out-corner them until I learned the road.

With respect to pronunciations, didn't I read somewhere that a lot of Scots/Irish folks from the Appalachians were part of the Mormon migration out of PA and IL? Being familiar with mining, a lot of them ended up in and around Park City - that might explain "crick", etc.. I believe that's the case with my own bloodline, I've perused some histories that go back to Britain.

Also, didn't one of the Church Presidents have an "epiphany" in the 1980's regarding Diet Coke? Wasn't it "forbidden" prior to the Church investing a bunch of money into the company? (that was the rumor I heard at the time).

Finally: "Postum" was the replacement for coffee in at least one Aunt's household, but I haven't seen that drink for a long time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-14-2020, 08:09 PM
 
Location: western USA
619 posts, read 493,430 times
Reputation: 638
That's all over Amazon. Not sure what grocery chains are big in your area.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=postum&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 10:30 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
24,100 posts, read 24,548,277 times
Reputation: 11701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Also, didn't one of the Church Presidents have an "epiphany" in the 1980's regarding Diet Coke? Wasn't it "forbidden" prior to the Church investing a bunch of money into the company? (that was the rumor I heard at the time).
No Coca Cola products were ever banned by the Church, and the Church has never held stock in the company. Aside from alcoholic beverages and tobacco, it's only coffee and tea that are forbidden. Coffee and tea are forbidden for unspecified reasons, but it's not because of the caffeine.

Quote:
Finally: "Postum" was the replacement for coffee in at least one Aunt's household, but I haven't seen that drink for a long time.
I remember Postum. I never tasted it, but I heard it was pretty yucky. I haven't seen it for years, though. Unless I'm mistaken, it was considered permissible to drink as a coffee substitute.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 03:36 PM
 
4,151 posts, read 1,609,131 times
Reputation: 2746
Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
If you came from Austria, France, Italy, Norway, Sweden Switzerland, etc., you'd think:

1) Skiing
2) Skiing
3) Skiing
4) Ski- ah you get the idea.
I'd like to say that SLC is actually quite famous around the world for a city if it's size, thanks to the 2002 Olympics the skiing, and yes, the Mormons, who are famous for going to the ends of the earth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2020, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Majestic Wyoming
1,343 posts, read 683,028 times
Reputation: 4077
I always thought that mormons couldn't drink caffeine either, until I moved to a heavily LDS area. Now I know that's not true, they drink Mt.Dew like crazy and that had like the most caffeine of all the regular brand name sodas.

Utahns being bad drivers is true, but they're dangerous drivers, like they drive too fast for the conditions, or pass when they shouldn't because it's unsafe, but they are not the worst drivers, or the fastest drivers, California drivers get that honor IMO.

They may pronounce Milk as Melk, but then again so do I and I'm from California so I don't even notice it. I did notice they use the phrase Needs gone a lot when selling things, which sounds totally off to me, but up here it's a thing they all do, but maybe it's not a mormon thing, could just be a Wyoming thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2020, 02:09 PM
 
Location: western USA
619 posts, read 493,430 times
Reputation: 638
Interesting. Back in W PA, they deleted the "to be" as well. But normally in "needs fixed" or "needs done" or "needs dealt with" or countless others. "Needs gone" makes sense, too, to my Pittsburgh ears. Just never heard it.

Ain't language grand?

Now off to my southern CA supermarket to purchase some ingredients for funeral potatoes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2020, 03:18 PM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,501 posts, read 5,875,071 times
Reputation: 2897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No Coca Cola products were ever banned by the Church, and the Church has never held stock in the company. Aside from alcoholic beverages and tobacco, it's only coffee and tea that are forbidden. Coffee and tea are forbidden for unspecified reasons, but it's not because of the caffeine.

I remember Postum. I never tasted it, but I heard it was pretty yucky. I haven't seen it for years, though. Unless I'm mistaken, it was considered permissible to drink as a coffee substitute.
But....

If "reasons are unknown" then why couldn't it be caffeine? Or at least the stimulating effects of caffeine? Though caffeine was first isolated in 1819, it's structure was unknown - chemistry was still in its infancy. So, while the chemical caffeine hadn't been identified in Josheph Smith's days, the effect of caffeine was well known.

It seems very plausible that the stimulating effect was the reason for banning coffee and tea since practically nobody at the time actually knew what caffeine was. But given what's known now (and have for a long time), it seems common-sensical that the original intent was banning caffeine. And if so, it strikes me as odd indeed that The Church never took the next obvious step by banning caffeine. I'm surprised that this doesn't seem to trouble anybody.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2020, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
24,100 posts, read 24,548,277 times
Reputation: 11701
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
But....

If "reasons are unknown" then why couldn't it be caffeine? Or at least the stimulating effects of caffeine? Though caffeine was first isolated in 1819, it's structure was unknown - chemistry was still in its infancy. So, while the chemical caffeine hadn't been identified in Joseph Smith's days, the effect of caffeine was well known.
It couldn't be caffeine because the Church has specifically come out and said that caffeine is not against the "Word of Wisdom."

Quote:
It seems very plausible that the stimulating effect was the reason for banning coffee and tea since practically nobody at the time actually knew what caffeine was. But given what's known now (and have for a long time), it seems common-sensical that the original intent was banning caffeine. And if so, it strikes me as odd indeed that The Church never took the next obvious step by banning caffeine. I'm surprised that this doesn't seem to trouble anybody.
It troubles me -- not that the Church hasn't banned caffeine, but that we haven't been given a reason why we should not drink tea or coffee. I don't drink them because I don't like them, but I'm told I'm not supposed to do something, I like knowing why. And "because we said so" is not a good enough reason for me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2020, 09:05 PM
 
2,687 posts, read 901,228 times
Reputation: 7715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No Coca Cola products were ever banned by the Church, and the Church has never held stock in the company. Aside from alcoholic beverages and tobacco, it's only coffee and tea that are forbidden. Coffee and tea are forbidden for unspecified reasons, but it's not because of the caffeine.

I remember Postum. I never tasted it, but I heard it was pretty yucky. I haven't seen it for years, though. Unless I'm mistaken, it was considered permissible to drink as a coffee substitute.
I tried (not very hard mind you) to check this out, and you are correct - in 2012, the Church made an official "clarification" on its stance re soft drinks, and did say that they were acceptable beverages. But my memory of a Church President stating that was from much earlier, maybe the 1980's, but I can't find anything on it via the Google. I remember it being a bit of a controversy at the time, due to the perceived hypocrisy of the church investing in Coca Cola or Pepsi; but again, I can't find anything on it, and what I did find denied the Church has significant holdings in the company. Maybe it was just my Aunt's Ward leader or Deacon who was down on soft drinks in the 1970's, or maybe even her family's misinterpretation of the rules; but I remember them always serving lemonade or water with dinner then. In later years 1990's and beyond) I remember them all being big Diet Coke drinkers. I sure do wish I could find a cite, I hate having memories that appear to be unfounded, LOL. One article I found said that the Church didn't specifically ban coffee or tea, only "hot drinks". I have to wonder if iced tea was OK, that would go against the "caffeine" argument as well.

I never tried Postum myself either, I always took it to be a "cereal" drink made with grain (maybe because of the root word "Post", like the manufacturer). A commenter above pointed out it's available on Amazon, if I ever see a small jar in the store, I'm going to try it just for Old Time's Sake. Come to think of it, isn't Postum served hot? Man, it's going to be tougher being a Mormon than I imagined. My Uncle is in his 90's and in a nursing home, I hope he survives Covid so I can see him again, maybe he'll be able to shine a little light.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2020, 09:09 PM
 
110 posts, read 111,324 times
Reputation: 365
FWIW.....

My family is LDS, however I am not. From what I know from them, including my great grandma who was born in the 1800's and lived to 102, she was taught by her handcart Pioneer parents that tea and coffee were bad because it would burn your insides. No idea if that was family reasoning only or a Church teaching. I do know she drank both sodas and beer, just not "hard drink" and was a Temple Mormon.

As for sodas according to my LDS Aunt the rumor was the Prophets condemned dark colored sodas back in the 60's and that rumor grew clear into the 1990's before being addressed and dark sodas being officially "ok." It was always ok and rumor has it Thomas Monson loved Pepsi and would drink them a few times a week.

Don't know how valid any of it is or not as I also have never been given a concrete, official WHY to the whole coffee and tea business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top