U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 10:52 AM

24,100 posts, read 24,548,277 times

Advertisements

Here's a fun article I ran across this morning: 7 Utah Stereotypes that are Absolutely Inaccurate.

Should be an interesting discussion if we can all behave ourselves.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 08:18 PM

191 posts, read 79,770 times
Not a big jell-o fan but I'll gratefully accept another dollop of funeral potatoes.

Old 09-10-2020, 05:21 PM

2,465 posts, read 6,292,891 times
Utah drivers do suck. However, just watching some dash cam videos of drivers from other states has convinced me that we certainly do not have a monopoly on crappy drivers!

I have no Utah accent. My kids however...

Old 09-10-2020, 06:19 PM

25,670 posts, read 17,130,616 times
I'll happily admit to affection for lime Jello that I picked up from the Mormon side of my family.
It's actually a pretty good summer salad when made with some cucumber slices mixed into it and some sour cream is dolloped on top instead of mayonnaise. (But a little mayonnaise isn't bad either.)

One Utah accent thing that's actually confusing is their tendency to pronounce "sale" as "sell".

There seems to be an aversion to pronouncing the long A in speech, so pale becomes pell, tail becomes tell, mail becomes mell. "A tall tale to tell" ends up sounding like "A tall tell to tell."

Old 09-10-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'll happily admit to affection for lime Jello that I picked up from the Mormon side of my family.
It's actually a pretty good summer salad when made with some cucumber slices mixed into it and some sour cream is dolloped on top instead of mayonnaise. (But a little mayonnaise isn't bad either.)

One Utah accent thing that's actually confusing is their tendency to pronounce "sale" as "sell".

There seems to be an aversion to pronouncing the long A in speech, so pale becomes pell, tail becomes tell, mail becomes mell. "A tall tale to tell" ends up sounding like "A tall tell to tell."
I've been telling my husband that a little stream is a "creek," and not a "crick" for years now, but he never changes.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:31 PM

213 posts, read 182,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've been telling my husband that a little stream is a "creek," and not a "crick" for years now, but he never changes.
Oh, one of my pet peeves! As one young Oklahoma friend told the Missionaries, "It's a creek. A crick is what you get in your neck". He was about 7 at the time. LOL.

Old 10-11-2020, 06:28 PM

290 posts, read 495,807 times
I always find state stereotypes entertaining! This article was a bit silly though; basically the whole premise was that there are always exceptions to the rule, which isn't exactly earth-shattering. I think all of those stereotypes still hold true in some capacity; you'll encounter many families with a million kids, people love jello, the odds are your neighbor is conservative, and at large family gatherings you'll probably have the choice of water, milk, or lemonade to drink.

The worst drivers thing - pretty much everyone insists that wherever they live is where the worst drivers are. It's hard to quantify...having lived in different parts of the country and driven cross country many times, everyone has their own different breed of terrible, including Utah. Drivers here are generally clueless; lounging in the left lane, random drifting across lanes, and complete bewilderment at roundabouts. I've definitely seen worse elsewhere. Having lived in New England, I will solemnly swear that Massachusetts drivers are the best and fight anyone to the death over it!

Old 10-13-2020, 01:11 PM

40 posts, read 105,860 times
As a non-US person (UK) my stereotypes of Utah are thus:

1) Mormon
2) Mormon
3) Mormon
4) Mor- ah, you get the idea.

It's really the only thing Utah is known for over here to be honest.

Old 10-13-2020, 03:03 PM

304 posts, read 805,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post

1) Mormon
2) Mormon
3) Mormon

If you came from Austria, France, Italy, Norway, Sweden Switzerland, etc., you'd think:

1) Skiing
2) Skiing
3) Skiing
4) Ski- ah you get the idea.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post

1) Mormon
2) Mormon
3) Mormon

Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world come to Utah to visit our five national parks -- including a ton of people from the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah