U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2020, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,049 times

Advertisements

We're considering an escape from California to Eagle Mountain with our two teens sons. The alternative is Colorado Springs, but CO has been dubbed "East California" and really tired of the whole cannabis thing, so we're thinking we need to venture further out.

A trip out west this summer and discussions with a couple of transplants there sparked our interest. The biggest sticking point is if our kids as non LDS teens will feel/be left out of the social scene at the high school and otherwise. They both have a bit of social anxiety and are independent thinkers and. Worried mostly about the one who would be joining a new high school in his junior year of high school and leaving a few good friends behind..he's not an athlete either.

We're Catholic/Christian, semi practicing, but have nothing against LDS folks, in fact have always found them super nice with great values. And right now, any sense of faith in a neighborhood we live in would be an oasis of sorts. We're conservative, hence the escape plan...would appreciate some insights, especially regarding teen social life and teen attitudes in general..my boys are worried for example they would not be able to date girls in the LDS church (I know, stereotyping but legit teen concern..) or be invited to church parties, or just somehow not fit in if they haven't grown up there, etc.

Also, does it still feel as "remote" now as it was described in posts from 2007, 2009, etc.?

Thanks for your advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 06:48 PM

127 posts, read 231,017 times
Eagle Mountain has grown a ton since 2007, it’s current population is 39,000, and in 2010 it was 21,000. It tends to be younger families and it’s cheaper than further into the main cities of the wasatch front. There aren’t many amenities out there but I think more is being put in, especially towards Lehi which isn’t to far.

I know the traffic going towards that area has gotten worse and that’s something to keep in mind. In terms of teens being out there, yes that’s a valid concern. Many LDS teens will invite them to church activities, and no most wont date outside of their religion. Every high school will have groups of non-LDS kids, but the pool of kids is smaller once you get down there. That being said I had some great friends growing up that were LDS that I still keep in touch with, so it just depends. Have them join groups to meet kids with common interests and they should be ok.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:53 PM

11,086 posts, read 10,650,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsmom View Post
We're considering an escape from California to Eagle Mountain with our two teens sons. The alternative is Colorado Springs, but CO has been dubbed "East California" and really tired of the whole cannabis thing, so we're thinking we need to venture further out.

A trip out west this summer and discussions with a couple of transplants there sparked our interest. The biggest sticking point is if our kids as non LDS teens will feel/be left out of the social scene at the high school and otherwise. They both have a bit of social anxiety and are independent thinkers and. Worried mostly about the one who would be joining a new high school in his junior year of high school and leaving a few good friends behind..he's not an athlete either.

We're Catholic/Christian, semi practicing, but have nothing against LDS folks, in fact have always found them super nice with great values. And right now, any sense of faith in a neighborhood we live in would be an oasis of sorts. We're conservative, hence the escape plan...would appreciate some insights, especially regarding teen social life and teen attitudes in general..my boys are worried for example they would not be able to date girls in the LDS church (I know, stereotyping but legit teen concern..) or be invited to church parties, or just somehow not fit in if they haven't grown up there, etc.

Also, does it still feel as "remote" now as it was described in posts from 2007, 2009, etc.?

Thanks for your advice!
A recurrent question on this forum from people moving into this area is:

Will my non-LDS family be happy living in Provo-Orem-Lehi-American Fork-Eagle Mountain?

I don't expect everyone who comes on here to research this question. However, it has been answered many times. There is usually a dissenter or two. However, the majority opinion responding to this question is that non-LDS people moving to Utah should generally avoid moving to Utah County for the best experience living in Utah.

Utah County has a very non-diverse population that is approximately 80% LDS. The previous poster stated that the social life of your kids may be limited if they do not go to LDS Church activities. That is my assessment as well.

I would suggest going north and living in Salt Lake County instead. Just a few miles north will make a big difference in diversity and likely make for a better experience.

Old 09-24-2020, 10:45 AM

24,100 posts, read 24,548,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I would suggest going north and living in Salt Lake County instead. Just a few miles north will make a big difference in diversity and likely make for a better experience.
I second that. The difference between Utah County and Salt Lake County is pretty significant. I suspect you'd be a lot happier in Salt Lake County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah