U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2020, 05:58 PM

25 posts, read 28,942 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband and I are driving from Southern California through Utah on our way to Tennessee. We want to drive around 10 hours or so before stopping. We would love to see some pretty scenery on the way.
Are there any good pet-friendly places/areas to stay around Fishlake National Forest?
Any other recommendations of nearby/other options?
TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 04:14 AM

3,579 posts, read 3,063,977 times
Take it you are on I-70. Not much between Salina and Green River. Before Green River, you will drive through the San Rafael Swell with some places to stop and view the area. However, to be honest, driving the interstate does not allow you to see this area for what it is; fantastic.

Now...if you wanted to get some great scenery, jump off I-15 at Cedar City, head east on Hwy to Hwy 89, go north and go east on Hwy 12. Hwy 12 meanders east, then heads north to Torrey and there are some decent hotels in Torrey. Then head east on hwy 24 through Capital Reef NP, to Hwy 95, go north to I-70.

Will slow you down by a day, but the scenery will be fantastic.

And if you really have extra time, you could hit all five of UT's fantastic National Parks (Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Canyonlands and Arches. And think of it this way, if you are moving to TN, might not ever get another chance to see this area. (And TN is a great state to live in; lived there for seven years.)

As for traveling with a dog....most hotels will accept a dog now. But best to figure out where you will be staying and call or check on the internet.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:37 AM

5,577 posts, read 11,999,216 times
Fully in agreement with f5fstop!!

I-70 is a fast one but no accommodations.
Follow f5fstop directions and maybe the only time you can see and enjoy the most scenic places Utah has to offer.

Leave early from So. California, and try to get to Bryce at the end of your first day.
That should be under 10 hours, with a lunch break in Las Vegas?
Gas up in Las Vegas and in St. George. Use Costco for cheapest gas...

Make reservations for overnight stay in Bryce at "Bryce View Lodge" for a low cost overnight stay.
OK, no frills hotel, part of Ruby's Inn (Use any and all discounts you may have a right to, such as Military or AARP).
Breakfast (Pandemic style - accross the street, served from 6 - 10, but go as early as possible because lines get long after 8).
For dinner around Bryce, backtrack to Panguitch (very beautiful ride) and find "Big Fish Restaurant" (at the end of town). Try the Boubon Burger or the Crispy Fish...

Next day take a quick trip to Bryce Canyon NP, and visit "Natural Bridge", then back to Bryce. Gas-up at Bryce, and get on Hiway-12 towards Escalante and then Torrey!
Note: For Heaven's sake, take your time and enjoy the ride to Torrey. You will be amazed at the scenery, 'and' at the tourists who whiz by everything at breakneck speeds!! Plenty of Run-outs, to let them go by!

In Torrey, you can stay at the Day's Inn (Wyndham Chain) for a decent cost. For Dinner, ask where the Mexican Restaurant is called La Cueva. Good Spanish American Food.
You should be early enough in Torrey to take a ride into the Capital Reef NP. Drive towards the Ranger station/Visitors Center, turn right into the camp ground road and then the scenic drive... then drive the route into the park for about 20 miles, and then turn back when the road changes to a dirt road.

The next day, breakfast at the hotel, gas up in Torrey, then on to Green River via Caineville and Hanksville. The first part is pretty, the last part a bit boring... Hanksville to I-70, is one absolute straight road for 35 miles ... with a lot of nothing around to see...

Gas up in Green River (first exit), then thru town, and depending on when you are going, stop by Dunham Melons at the end of town on the right, and get at least one sweet 'Crenshaw' melon, which tastes like candy! Then on to I-70, east, to Crescent Junction, turn right towards Moab.

Before Moab do not try to get into 'Arches', because the lines are very long to get in.
Depending on what time, you may see a short line...
Instead, drive towards Moab (a lot of road work is going on in Moab so the traffic slows down...) and right after you cross the Colorado river, turn left and take the route (128) along the Colorado River back to I-70 around Cisco.

Just decide how long each day will take, including a bit af sightseeing!
Rest at Torrrey, or in Moab? Times shown on maps are non-stop driving at max road speeds!!

I am not sure what the rest of your route is, but I assume that you are taking I-70 for a while?

Last bit not least...
Use Google Maps to 'see' your planned routes.
Try to travel during the week, and avoid traveling on week ends...
Always wear a face mask, and wash your hands before you eat.
Have a great trip and drive carefully. Good luck in Tennesee!
Attached Thumbnails
Driving through Utah, where to stay near central/Eastern Utah?-day_01.jpg   Driving through Utah, where to stay near central/Eastern Utah?-day_03.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 10-08-2020 at 10:01 AM..

Old 10-08-2020, 03:19 PM

Some great suggestions. If you have a 4x4, I know a great backroad into Arches (actually there are a few) that will take you by some dino tracks then into the park and exit that road onto the paved road right right across from Balanced rock.

Old 10-08-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Some great suggestions. If you have a 4x4, I know a great backroad into Arches (actually there are a few) that will take you by some dino tracks then into the park and exit that road onto the paved road right across from Balanced rock.
From their other posts, about moving to Tennessee, it looks like they do not have a trailer to pull and are driving a Subaru.

Still, at this point, with basic luggage, and their cat, I figured to go only where you can use your car, without having to worry about traction. Also, they are probably anxious to get to their final destination.
I may sound a bit paranoid about where and when to gas up, but on long trips, it is just as cheap to keep the top half of you gas tank full as the bottom half.

About not visiting 'Arches', we enquired why there was such a long line to get in, and were told that it has been like that all year long... The only way would be to go very early in the morning. so after we stayed in Moab for the night, we tried at 8 AM, and found a whole bunch of cars again waiting to get in. Hmmm..., everybody else was apparently thinking the same thing!

Old 10-09-2020, 07:17 AM

Off hwy 191, just north of Hwy 313 is Willow Flats. You can take that right to the paved road in Arches, and enter right across from the balanced rock parking lot. And a Subaru should easily do it and it is legal. In fact, just talked with a friend yesterday who entered Arches via that route last Saturday; his destination was Cache Valley - technically outside of the park but you need to enter the park to get to Cache Valley. Access is just past Delicate Arch viewing point. (During this time of the year, a lot of hunters are headed to Cache Valley via the park...and yes, it is totally legal.)

When I lived in Moab, that was a standard way for locals to access Arches on weekends when there were long lines entering the park. (We would also use Klondike Bluff access too; however, not a route for a Subaru (or wasn't when I lived there).

Can also enter via Salt Valley and that connects to the paved Arches road just south of Devil's garden area; that road is usually a good road in great condition. however, there was a 2-3 mile stretch that was washboard; easy to navigate, but it will rattle your brains out of your head.

So if you ever go back and need a nice route into Arches....

Old 10-09-2020, 07:42 AM

f5fstop
Thanks for the heads-up!

In our case, we have been at "Arches" a few times before.
I also fly an Ultra-Light, and have flown over "Arches"
(You just have to stay 2000 feet above ground!!)

The next time we have a chance, we will sure try your suggestions!
So..., a bit north of 313 take a right...
Is there a sign that says which road it is?

Last edited by irman; 10-09-2020 at 07:51 AM..

Old 10-10-2020, 12:10 PM

There is a sign that says Willow Spring. If coming southbound on 191; it is the road to the east that is right where southbound goes from two lanes to three lanes (two southbound lanes). Also known as BLM 378. When you first turn onto the road, it is actually land owned by SITLA (State of Utah Institutional Trust Lands Administration)...lands given to the schools when the land was divided up by the federal gov't for Federal lands; and it will most likely have a lot of campers since SITLA allows dispersed camping.
You will then travel onto BLM lands, pass some dino tracks, and eventually pass onto Park lands (you'll see the sign). Keep on the best road and you will eventually see balanced Rock and the paved road. (N38 41.811 W109 41.914)

Old 10-10-2020, 01:32 PM

That will help. Thanks a million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah