U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 09:18 AM

2,501 posts, read 5,875,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoster View Post
Thanks, that's nowhere near as bad as I was led to believe! To me 45 degrees is still fine for a t-shirt, but I grew up in the northeast.

I'll put SLC on my radar, appreciate it!
If you're from the northeast you'll laugh at the winters here. Of course the mountains are another story. I went skiing yesterday and it was about 20 deg and midwinter conditions, just several feet of snow (we're in a snow drought). 20 minutes later in the valley it's 20 deg warmer, no snow at all. Lots of 20s. That's the beauty of it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 10:14 AM

24,100 posts, read 24,548,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
If you're from the northeast you'll laugh at the winters here. Of course the mountains are another story. I went skiing yesterday and it was about 20 deg and midwinter conditions, just several feet of snow (we're in a snow drought). 20 minutes later in the valley it's 20 deg warmer, no snow at all. Lots of 20s. That's the beauty of it!
I figured someone from the northeast would say that. It's still brutal to me.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:59 PM

1,502 posts, read 890,674 times
Of the list the OP gave in the first post, there are a few things that are incompatible with SLC:
  • Small/medium sized city (perhaps around 10K - 30K people). SLC is definitely not that. Some posters can get creative in giving the information that is accurate within some boundaries but is ultimately misleading. It has a considerably bigger in population when one adds the sprawl. That said, the OP is being quite inconsistent as well in looking excellent internet, vegetarian dining options in a small town setting. That's very rare combination which might happen somewhere but not in SLC. It is a larger town/population mass and excellent internet and vegetarian dining options commensurate with that.
  • Warmer rather than colder weather, without significant extremes and with lots of natural beauty. It has a lot of beauty, but winter does have significantly cold temperature and very high pollution during inversions (a very important consideration that anyone considering this area should research in advance of). We love the winter here but do not find the winter here fitting the OP's expectations. The monthly average high/lows are not very good indicators. Not saying this is a bad winter place, but not what the OP mentions either.
  • Reasonable COL with nice homes available for under 300K without high property taxes. Dream on!I am sure the definition of a nice home varies but I sort of doubt you will get it for anywhere under $300K.
  • Low crime - High safety. I am sure it depends upon the neighborhood.
This is not to discourage the OP from considering this area, but providing information relevant to what he/she is seeking. I would also reiterate my advice to research inversions on this board and otherwise to be fully informed about that dimension.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:34 PM

74 posts, read 32,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Of the list the OP gave in the first post, there are a few things that are incompatible with SLC:
  • Small/medium sized city (perhaps around 10K - 30K people). SLC is definitely not that. Some posters can get creative in giving the information that is accurate within some boundaries but is ultimately misleading. It has a considerably bigger in population when one adds the sprawl. That said, the OP is being quite inconsistent as well in looking excellent internet, vegetarian dining options in a small town setting. That's very rare combination which might happen somewhere but not in SLC. It is a larger town/population mass and excellent internet and vegetarian dining options commensurate with that.
  • Warmer rather than colder weather, without significant extremes and with lots of natural beauty. It has a lot of beauty, but winter does have significantly cold temperature and very high pollution during inversions (a very important consideration that anyone considering this area should research in advance of). We love the winter here but do not find the winter here fitting the OP's expectations. The monthly average high/lows are not very good indicators. Not saying this is a bad winter place, but not what the OP mentions either.
  • Reasonable COL with nice homes available for under 300K without high property taxes. Dream on!I am sure the definition of a nice home varies but I sort of doubt you will get it for anywhere under $300K.
  • Low crime - High safety. I am sure it depends upon the neighborhood.
This is not to discourage the OP from considering this area, but providing information relevant to what he/she is seeking. I would also reiterate my advice to research inversions on this board and otherwise to be fully informed about that dimension.
Thanks, in looking through homes I wasn't finding much that fit the bill.

I looked into 'inversions' and they don't sound good. It's hard to get a good idea of them just from the internet but it sounds like it's a combination of cold and trapped pollution,which isn't the best combination, to say the least.

I appreciate the help, and I recognize that I am looking for a bit of a unicorn, but I am willing to compromise and right now I'm just doing fact-finding to see what compromises I would need to make for different areas.

I actually do have a lead on a 30K population city with excellent internet, vegetarian dining and quite a bit of culture, but in another state. Smaller cities with a strong university presence seems to be the key to this particular problem.

Old 12-05-2020, 07:54 PM

1,502 posts, read 890,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoster View Post
Thanks, in looking through homes I wasn't finding much that fit the bill.

I looked into 'inversions' and they don't sound good. It's hard to get a good idea of them just from the internet but it sounds like it's a combination of cold and trapped pollution,which isn't the best combination, to say the least.

I appreciate the help, and I recognize that I am looking for a bit of a unicorn, but I am willing to compromise and right now I'm just doing fact-finding to see what compromises I would need to make for different areas.

I actually do have a lead on a 30K population city with excellent internet, vegetarian dining and quite a bit of culture, but in another state. Smaller cities with a strong university presence seems to be the key to this particular problem.
You are welcome! I definitely hope you find what you are looking for - here or elsewhere. I am a vegetarian as well and have a 1 GB connection, so definitely appreciate the requirements you have. Indeed - college towns or towns with tourism attractions would be your best bet, though the latter comes with its own set of problems.

Inversions are bad. I do not mean to suggest that the winter here is entirely composed of inversions - but they are a significant concern. Without inversions, the winters here would be fantastic. During inversions, you can get pollution levels exceeding that of Beijing. And the bad ones do last more than a week (in fact, that's what makes them bad). Some are less sensitive, some stay indoors, some are not particularly bothered but everyone is affected by the pollutions to a varying degree- whether they notice or not. There are some (I am aware of at least 3 people) who have had do move away because they could not tolerate it. [In fact, we bought our condo from a couple who had moved here to retire, had family here - and then up and left because of health issues. ] So, it is something to think hard about.

All the best!

Old 12-06-2020, 06:39 PM

17,057 posts, read 22,367,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, but that was an unusually bad winter. Really not typical. Last winter, my husband hardly got the snow blower out.

Agreed! I live between Grand Junction Co. and the Utah border and that WAS a bad winter, even for Grand Junction. I'm wondering if the long time Utah members of CD can opine on Cedar City. The OP did mention looking for a place with population in the 30,000 range. One thing I do know about Cedar City, it gets snow in the winter, for sure.(Brian Head Ski Area). It does have a university (Southern Utah Univ.) has some interesting activities in the summer (Utah Summer Games and the Shakespeare Festival).

I've moteled it there a few times, from this past January to the mid 1980's. NOTE--big growth from the 1980's to now--around 12,000 people lived there in 1985 or so and now the population is close to 35,000, and most of that growth is west of Interstate 15. When I went through there back in the mid 1980's there was little growth there IMO, I took a look at those two mountain ranges you see for miles and I would think, "Hmm, wouldn't mind having some property out there!!" Guess several thousand people agree with me.

Hopefully someone who knows about Cedar City more than I do can provide some info here!

Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 PM

191 posts, read 79,770 times
Cookeville, TN!

Old 12-07-2020, 02:03 PM

21 posts, read 8,767 times
Hi OP and tag-a-long Have you thought about the Provo area if you're interested in staying in Utah? I visited a friend there for a summer while I was in college and it was a nice town with some of the things you're looking for. I was vegan at the time and never had any problem finding food - I had a choice between a few cafes/restaurants and a couple great health food stores. That was 10+ years ago and I'm sure the place has been built up more. With the colleges (major one being BYU) there's always going to be some arts and culture, but SLC isn't a far trip if your craving more sights and events. Same with the national parks and I remember going on some nice trails locally. This friend now lives in Spanish Fork and enjoys the outdoors, eating gluten-free, raising her son, painting, biking, and taking care of her chickens and garden. If that sounds like the type of lifestyle you're looking for, I wouldn't discount the smaller sister of the big city

Old 12-07-2020, 05:16 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,022,975 times
provo, SLC, anything along the front, is essentially one big city. individually each city may have a "small" population but it's one big metro area.

I get the feeling the OP is looking for a smaller city/town that isn't part of a big, sprawling metro?

cedar gets snow, less in the valley than Brian head obvs. not much in the way of dining choices, it's burger/fast food central it seems, for the most part.

I'd guess there would be some housing in the price range mentioned.

Old 12-08-2020, 12:39 PM

6,629 posts, read 4,027,089 times
If I weren't tied to bein commutable to an office I'd seriously be looking at Morgan, Heber, Kamas for areas to move. Heber has gotten pricey but perhaps if you go a bit further out you can get something reasonable. Morgan/Kamas both would be more affordable and give you access to the best of what utah has to offer. Perhaps Oakley as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah