U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 07:23 AM

340 posts, read 210,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesssicat View Post
My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving out of Ventura county, California to Utah. It would be great to get some input from the community here.

We are in our mid 30s, no kids, thinking of having one soon. Both born and raised in SoCal. Life here has been too crowded, expensive, people are in too much of a rush, the air quality is bad, terrible traffic, the laws and taxes are not good.

What we are hoping to find:

1. Weather: I don't like much cold, rain or snow. A mostly sunny location would be nice. Air quality is important. I hear SLC has bad air. (What and where are the natural disasters I should be aware of?)

2. Beliefs: Neither of us are religious and would prefer a life without too much religious intrusion (Are there areas that we should avoid?). Gun rights are important to him.

3. Location: We are pretty private people and mostly keep to ourselves but I don't like being in the middle of nowhere and far from shopping and people. So an immediate area/s with a market, shopping, and entertainment would be great. I'm also a huge art fan. We like hiking/camping but not much else outdoors activities. Most of our immediate families live in So Cal so we will want to visit them several times a year.

5. Work: We both have degrees and want somewhere with tech job opportunities, specifically UX design, graphic design and I.T.. We could work remotely or are willing to drive an hour or less to work.

6. Internet: Good internet connection. Broadband, somewhere in the 300mbps download range.

7. Price: We are looking for under 300k range. (What are the tax rates for property and income, etc.?)

8. Friendly people

9. Good healthcare (near a Veteran's hospital would be great)

Thanks
Upon thinking about this more, you might want to look into the suburbs of Atlanta. It fits all of your criteria, with the exception of bad traffic and it rains a good bit (which could be painted as a good thing because it also means better air quality). People love their guns in GA, lots of tech jobs, good internet, healthcare, direct flights to CA, and you can still find a house under $300k in the suburbs.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 02:46 PM

781 posts, read 748,697 times
OP, you may want to look into Grand Junction, Colorado. I hear it’s an up and coming city with relatively mild winters and a burgeoning tech presence.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:21 PM

514 posts, read 283,028 times
Dayton, Nevada would have housing in that price range. Dayton is gun friendly and free spirited, live and let live.

Low taxes, less snow than most of Northern Nevada and within an hour of many larger cities for more career options.

The State of Nevada has many career opportunities in Carson City for IT technicians, plus private sector data centers are locating here from the Bay Area.

Reno has a one of the better VA hospitals (or so I have heard).

Dayton is about 15 minutes outside of Carson City, which has plenty of shopping etc.

Northern Nevada is very sunny and generally has good air quality, the exception would be California wildfire smoke in the late summers occasionally, but that is a problem all over the West.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 12-17-2020 at 04:49 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 05:05 PM

18 posts, read 12,938 times
Turns out we can do around 400k. Any better location options? Really need to be near some tech opportunities until hopefully we can go remote full time. Just wanting some ideas of locations to job search. THANKS EVERYONE, great info!

Old 12-17-2020, 06:58 PM

24,328 posts, read 24,885,987 times
Quote:
Turns out we can do around 400k. Any better location options? Really need to be near some tech opportunities until hopefully we can go remote full time. Just wanting some ideas of locations to job search. THANKS EVERYONE, great info!
$400K ought to make a pretty big difference. You're not going to end up with a mansion by any means, but you won't be living in a dump either.

Old 12-18-2020, 01:05 PM

3,732 posts, read 3,034,383 times
Not sure why someone who wants mostly sunny without cold, rain, or snow would consider the inter-mountain west. Weather in the Rockies is as volatile as it is in the Sierras.

Old 12-18-2020, 02:54 PM

27 posts, read 19,551 times
Quote:
My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving out of Ventura county, California to Utah. It would be great to get some input from the community here.

We are in our mid 30s, no kids, thinking of having one soon. Both born and raised in SoCal. Life here has been too crowded, expensive, people are in too much of a rush, the air quality is bad, terrible traffic, the laws and taxes are not good.

What we are hoping to find:

1. Weather: I don't like much cold, rain or snow. A mostly sunny location would be nice. Air quality is important. I hear SLC has bad air. (What and where are the natural disasters I should be aware of?)

2. Beliefs: Neither of us are religious and would prefer a life without too much religious intrusion (Are there areas that we should avoid?). Gun rights are important to him.

3. Location: We are pretty private people and mostly keep to ourselves but I don't like being in the middle of nowhere and far from shopping and people. So an immediate area/s with a market, shopping, and entertainment would be great. I'm also a huge art fan. We like hiking/camping but not much else outdoors activities. Most of our immediate families live in So Cal so we will want to visit them several times a year.

5. Work: We both have degrees and want somewhere with tech job opportunities, specifically UX design, graphic design and I.T.. We could work remotely or are willing to drive an hour or less to work.

6. Internet: Good internet connection. Broadband, somewhere in the 300mbps download range.

7. Price: We are looking for under 300k range. (What are the tax rates for property and income, etc.?)

8. Friendly people

9. Good healthcare (near a Veteran's hospital would be great)

Thanks
If you are open to other states then Austin,TX may be a good option as it fits most of the criteria, it never snows there and Tech scene is growing pretty fast. The only down side is it gets very hot in summer.

Old 12-19-2020, 12:39 PM

29,117 posts, read 31,741,273 times
Quote:
Too cold I think.
The Salt Lake City area actually has colder winters than, say, Denver.

St. George is the area most like Southern California in terms of weather as well as easier proximity to SoCal. Just barely warm enough for palm trees, but they can get snow in the winter. It's a smaller city but growing. I don't live there but my friend who does says a lot of Californians are moving there. It is a desert, so very sunny, but 100 to 110 is normal in summer (typically a few degrees cooler than Vegas year 'round).

It's not super cheap, but less expensive than SoCal.

If you're private people who don't need a ton of friends, I don't see the LDS thing as a problem until you have kids. The LDS way of life kind of revolves around work, school, church and church activities. Actively involved LDS people don't have time for much else. So LDS kids might not have much to do with your kids outside school, not because they're mean, but because they're so busy with church stuff. That's what people on these CD forums have said over the years, at least.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 185 times
we had a house in Cache County Utah, Logan area.

out in rural area, internet choice are wireless internet, about 5 MBPS down, nothing like Cable or Fiber optic.

maybe Starlink in future.

religion seems to be important for many. but, many also don't care that much, and do not practice their religion like they used to be.

Restaurant price are expensive as Southern Calif. and not much choices and quality are marginal.

People seems that they have to show that they are happy all the time. I suppose that is their parts of culture.

Price of house in Utah used to be cheap, but at this crazy high price, I am not sure, if Utah is worth moving to, perhaps, other cheaper place may be better.
Job market seems to be good in Salt Lake City area however.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:02 AM

118 posts, read 115,145 times
It would probably be best to look elsewhere. In fact, also tell anyone else you know from California to look elsewhere to move to. Try Phoenix it is virtually a suburb of Los Angeles at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah