Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 03:06 PM

18 posts, read 24,785 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving out of Ventura county, California to Utah. It would be great to get some input from the community here.

We are in our mid 30s, no kids, thinking of having one soon. Both born and raised in SoCal. Life here has been too crowded, expensive, people are in too much of a rush, the air quality is bad, terrible traffic, the laws and taxes are not good.

What we are hoping to find:

1. Weather: I don't like much cold, rain or snow. A mostly sunny location would be nice. Air quality is important. I hear SLC has bad air. (What and where are the natural disasters I should be aware of?)

2. Beliefs: Neither of us are religious and would prefer a life without too much religious intrusion (Are there areas that we should avoid?). Gun rights are important to him.

3. Location: We are pretty private people and mostly keep to ourselves but I don't like being in the middle of nowhere and far from shopping and people. So an immediate area/s with a market, shopping, and entertainment would be great. I'm also a huge art fan. We like hiking/camping but not much else outdoors activities. Most of our immediate families live in So Cal so we will want to visit them several times a year.

5. Work: We both have degrees and want somewhere with tech job opportunities, specifically UX design, graphic design and I.T.. We could work remotely or are willing to drive an hour or less to work.

6. Internet: Good internet connection. Broadband, somewhere in the 300mbps download range.

7. Price: We are looking for under 300k range. (What are the tax rates for property and income, etc.?)

8. Friendly people

9. Good healthcare (near a Veteran's hospital would be great)

Thanks

Last edited by Jesssicat; 12-15-2020 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 06:17 PM

338 posts, read 306,929 times
Hi,

#2-6, 8+9 tells me you would best fit in the Salt Lake valley or Ogden. That's where you will find shopping, tech jobs, healthcare, and like-minded people regarding religion. Utah county also fits these criteria, except it is very heavily LDS and I get the impression you don't want that.

Notes regarding #1: there are four distinct seasons here, including winter and very hot summers. The air quality is very bad - this area has ozone in the summer, smoky air from wildfires, inversions in the winter. And for natural disasters, the wasatch front is due for a major earthquake. In my opinion, this area is woefully unprepared for an earthquake. Lots of unreinforced masonry, the water supply is vulnerable, etc. Google will tell you all about your questions in #1.

Notes regarding #7: I don't know of anywhere in this price range. You might be better off renting.

Everyone I've met from California has had to adjust to the culture shock and the "extreme" (to them) weather. Not saying that they have all hated it, but it is a different world and it helps to be open minded and adaptable.

It is a very family friendly place. Lower taxes, and therefore fewer services. While Salt lake city itself is very liberal, state laws are influenced by the LDS church.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:30 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,782,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
state laws are influenced by the LDS church.
I wish people who keep spouting this of, would wake up.

Assume everybody is Catholic here, would you say that the state laws are influenced by the Pope in The Vatican?

The majority of people in Utah are members of the LDS Church and thus have a mindset that is influenced by their belief.

Hence it looks like the laws are influenced by the church, but in reality, is the people who decide which way the laws should go...

Old 12-15-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
Hi,

#2-6, 8+9 tells me you would best fit in the Salt Lake valley or Ogden. That's where you will find shopping, tech jobs, healthcare, and like-minded people regarding religion. Utah county also fits these criteria, except it is very heavily LDS and I get the impression you don't want that.

Notes regarding #1: there are four distinct seasons here, including winter and very hot summers. The air quality is very bad - this area has ozone in the summer, smoky air from wildfires, inversions in the winter. And for natural disasters, the wasatch front is due for a major earthquake. In my opinion, this area is woefully unprepared for an earthquake. Lots of unreinforced masonry, the water supply is vulnerable, etc. Google will tell you all about your questions in #1.
Good info, thanks. When you say the air quality is very bad and not earthquake ready, which area/s are you talking about exactly? Also, If the LDS wouldn't bother us, I wouldn't mind. Are they fine with none LDS around them?

Old 12-15-2020, 09:09 PM

565 posts, read 458,658 times
Colorado might be a better choice.

Old 12-15-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsheamountain View Post
Colorado might be a better choice.
Too cold I think.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:27 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,943,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesssicat View Post
Too cold I think.
My sister lives in Pueblo and her weather is better than ours! I don’t think there is a VA in Pueblo, however.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:43 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,782,010 times
Comments inside your message...

Quote:
What we are hoping to find:

1. Weather: I don't like much cold, rain or snow. A mostly sunny location would be nice. Air quality is important. I hear SLC has bad air. (What and where are the natural disasters I should be aware of?)

Somebody mentioned Colorado, you say too cold...
What is too cold for you?

Put this in your search bar...
"Average winter temperatures in Salt Lake City?"
Then look at the graphs!

2. Beliefs: Neither of us are religious and would prefer a life without too much religious intrusion (Are there areas that we should avoid?). Gun rights are important to him.

Depends on where you will settle down.
Certain counties are saturated with LDS people so they WILL be around you most of the time.
Utah county is famous for that feature.

3. Location: We are pretty private people and mostly keep to ourselves but I don't like being in the middle of nowhere and far from shopping and people. So an immediate area/s with a market, shopping, and entertainment would be great. I'm also a huge art fan. We like hiking/camping but not much else outdoors activities. Most of our immediate families live in So Cal so we will want to visit them several times a year.

Plenty of 'that stuff' in the SLC area!!

5. Work: We both have degrees and want somewhere with tech job opportunities, specifically UX design, graphic design and I.T.. We could work remotely or are willing to drive an hour or less to work.

With some perseverance, you will find work, even remote work is getting more en vogue.

6. Internet: Good internet connection. Broadband, somewhere in the 300mbps download range.

Depends on your final location. There are locations where the internet really 'sucks', so check that when you find a place to settle down.

7. Price: We are looking for under 300k range. (What are the tax rates for property and income, etc.?)

If you are willing to live in smallish condos, you might find a place, or if you are willing to deal with a fixer-upper... House prices are going way up fast here!!

8. Friendly people

Depends on how you interact with the people who have been here longer than you have, so if you refrain from telling them how much better it was where you came from and do not become a nay-sayer (plenty of those here!), you will be OK. Have an open mind and learn from the locals!

9. Good healthcare (near a Veteran's hospital would be great)

As a veteran, you are lucky to be here in the SLC area. The VA has a major facility here and is in my opinion very well regulated and run, once you know how to 'navigate the system'

Thanks

Last edited by irman; 12-16-2020 at 09:54 AM..

Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I wish people who keep spouting this of, would wake up..
I'm awake.

Quote:
Assume everybody is Catholic here, would you say that the state laws are influenced by the Pope in The Vatican?
Yes.

Quote:
The majority of people in Utah are members of the LDS Church and thus have a mindset that is influenced by their belief.

Hence it looks like the laws are influenced by the church, but in reality, is the people who decide which way the laws should go...
Absolutely.

To be clear, I never said this was good or bad.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Good info, thanks. When you say the air quality is very bad and not earthquake ready, which area/s are you talking about exactly? Also, If the LDS wouldn't bother us, I wouldn't mind. Are they fine with none LDS around them?
You are asking me to generalize a massive group of people. Like any other massive group of people, some will be more friendly and welcoming than others. "They" are not out to get you, if that's what you're afraid of. What exactly are you concerned about?

Try a Google search for "Utah air quality ranking" and you'll see a plethora of articles.

You can check specific areas for air quality and earthquakes here:
Airnow.gov
https://geology.utah.gov/hazards/earthquakes/

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah