U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2021, 07:31 PM

1,241 posts, read 595,523 times

Advertisements

Many years ago (like 10-ish), DH and I were considering a move to Utah and were house-hunting mostly around Kaysville. Life happened, and nothing ever came of it. Now, here we are, and there's a possibility that we may have an "opportunity" (not sure yet how to characterize it) to make the move in the next 3-6 months for a job near Hill AFB.

We're familiar enough with UT...have/had family living in the SLC area and have visited...but my years-ago research is no longer current (and has faded from memory).

Questions I have are:
  • Where should we focus our house-hunt based on a 30-minute commute to/from work location (Hill)? Looking for a 4-bed, 2.5+ bath house with a 3-car garage and at least a 1/3 acre lot (1/2 acre+ would be great). Basement would be preferred, but not an absolute necessity.
  • Housing budget is up to about $650K for a purchase. Then again, we may want to rent a house before deciding how long we'll want to stay in UT. Are single-family homes like I've described available for rent, and if so, is there a good source to find them?
  • Is the inversion a problem up near where you'd recommend we live? Or is this more of a SL valley issue?
  • How is the housing market? Here in SoCal, it's definitely a seller's market, as is the case in other locations we've been considering.

Thanks for any & all advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 10:56 AM

308 posts, read 830,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Many years ago (like 10-ish), DH and I were considering a move to Utah and were house-hunting mostly around Kaysville. Life happened, and nothing ever came of it. Now, here we are, and there's a possibility that we may have an "opportunity" (not sure yet how to characterize it) to make the move in the next 3-6 months for a job near Hill AFB.

We're familiar enough with UT...have/had family living in the SLC area and have visited...but my years-ago research is no longer current (and has faded from memory).

Questions I have are:
  • Where should we focus our house-hunt based on a 30-minute commute to/from work location (Hill)? Looking for a 4-bed, 2.5+ bath house with a 3-car garage and at least a 1/3 acre lot (1/2 acre+ would be great). Basement would be preferred, but not an absolute necessity.
  • Housing budget is up to about $650K for a purchase. Then again, we may want to rent a house before deciding how long we'll want to stay in UT. Are single-family homes like I've described available for rent, and if so, is there a good source to find them?
  • Is the inversion a problem up near where you'd recommend we live? Or is this more of a SL valley issue?
  • How is the housing market? Here in SoCal, it's definitely a seller's market, as is the case in other locations we've been considering.

Thanks for any & all advice!
If you want clean air, check out the areas up in the mountains: Morgan, Mountain Green, maybe the Ogden Valley

Old 01-17-2021, 06:52 PM

1,241 posts, read 595,523 times
Thanks. I'll take a look at those areas. Regrettably, it looks like our housing budget won't go as far as I thought it might. Things have gone way up in price since we last took a look at the area!

Old 01-18-2021, 09:56 AM

6,759 posts, read 4,177,254 times
Congrats you're looking at a great area of Utah! IMO the value play would be going west of I15 over to Roy, Syracuse, Sunset, West Point.. Being the further west you go the newer and "nicer" per $ as those would be the latest areas developed. Also realize the "great salt lake" stinks and has flies so the further west you go your exposure to the brine shrimp decomposition stink exposure will be increased as will the concentration of flies.

If it were me I'd be looking at Fruit Heights, Farmington, Centerville, or even Bountiful near to the east bench. You'll want to stay directly out of the North - South flight paths of HAFB unless you don't mind the afterburner rumble. I tend to say stay away from Ogden but plenty of people like it there.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:43 AM

6,759 posts, read 4,177,254 times
One other suggestion is that you might want to find a temporary rental say 6 months of a SFH in the Layton area. There are a bunch of nice homes that are rentals to support the AFB where you have continuous turnover of support staff. This would buy you time to get the know the area and explore a bit more.

KSL has a great classifieds section for rentals.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:38 AM

3 posts, read 185 times
any where along I-15 maybe all the way up to Tremonton Utah ? I would not go far as Logan, because crossing mountain , Sardine Canyon in winter can be trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: