Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:51 AM

546 posts, read 2,202,902 times

Advertisements

Hello all, please help me with this. We will be relocating from a 90% asian community from Hawaii to Utah state with our only 4 year old son, We’re Chinese. I totally think that racist will NOT be an issue among the adults, but who knows about the kids as they tend to tease each other unintentionally in school at that kind of young age, being the very few asian child in Utah, do you think my son will have some issues being around the rest of the kids? Will he have a problem making friends? Again, I don’t think he’ll have this problem in high school when kids are more grown up and understanding, but kids really can tease at an younger age.

Also, do you think being an only Asian child in Utah versus the large family in Utah will make my son feel sort of left out, like feeling very different than the rest of the community and even feel lonely? Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 01:17 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,223 times
I don't think it will be a problem. I have Chinese neighbors, and their kids are included just like everyone else. I don't think there's a problem with him being an only child, either. While families do tend to be larger here, they come in all shapes and sizes. Welcome to Utah!

Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,969,024 times
There are a fair number of Asians living in Utah. I have lived in many states throughout my life and quite honestly, Utah is the most accepting one that I have ever lived in.

Welcome!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:57 PM

thanks to all for making feel a lot better!! can't wait to move over.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM

121 posts, read 524,272 times
Huemo, what part of Hawaii you from, and why are you leaving? Just curious. We're from Hawaii (Ewa Beach) and left in 1976 for CA. Many reasons we left, mainly the high cost of living, low wages (I was a cop with HPD, the lowest paid department, for its size, in the U.S.) better schools in CA., and the lack of interesting things to do/visit there. I mean, what is there besides the sea? After moving we have seen most of the mainland, Europe, S. America, Central America, the Caribbean, and Canada. With the pay I was getting we would have never been able to travel out of the islands.
Welcome to Utah, although we live in San Jose, we do own a home in Highland and hopefully will relocate there when I'm finished with my current health issues.
Aloha
Eddie

Old 05-10-2008, 03:44 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,372,795 times
From reading your other posts you seem l to be a very loving mother and wife, your son will be fine. Good luck and welcome to Utah!!!
Blessings, Michelle

PS People are so friendly out here, and the children seem really outgoing also

Old 05-10-2008, 12:43 PM

Default to EdLo

hello..in a rush to take my son out now, and will write to you more later, but yes, the reason for us moving to Utah are the same reasons as yours, but it's so sad to leave our parents and take our son away from them. how did you deal with this, do you have family in Hawaii? we live in Honolulu, downtown. My bro in law lives in eva beach also, but the house there is about 600-700K by now even for that far distanced area away from town. will write u more. thanks for your input.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Default to michelleleigh

oh..I know..I have tons of questions. I'm almost hesitating to ask more, since you already can tell that this mother is asking questions constantly. I am the worrier type. thanks for being so patience with me. hee..hee...

Old 05-10-2008, 09:57 PM

273 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Huiemo, I think you will be fine. It is pretty obvious that the majority of Utah is white but it is changing rapidly. A walk through Daybreak Elementary will show white, latino, black, and Asian children. Keep in mind that the LDS Church is very popular in the islands so there have been a lot of Pacific islanders who have relocated to Utah. I just ate at a Hawaiian restaurant in South Jordan run by Hawaiians.

You should be more concerned about living at high altitude and dealing with cold, dry weather. And in the summer it will be very hot and dry. Having just spent a couple of weeks on Maui, I can tell you Utah and Hawaii are very different climate wise. But I have also worked with several Hawaiians (in Colorado where the weather is very similiar to Utah) and they did fine. My best friend in Colorado is a Honolulu native of Japanese descent and he aclimatized fine. He said he was used to the cold weather because he spent a lot of time on the North Shore (haha).

If you ever get to Daybreak, look us up (you can e-mail me through this forum). My wife and I have quite a social network of non-LDS friends. We get together for dinners and drinks pretty often and always like meeting new, interesting folks from far-flung lands. This is not to say that we don't socialize with our LDS neighbors. We have had street barbeques and enjoyed many of the Daybreak sponsored social events with them. But they have their strong network through church that we are not involved in so it is nice that we can all be involved in our own network too.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:13 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,372,795 times
hueimo, I asked a ton of questions before I moved here also. I worry like crazy about my son however, husband keeps me in check on some things.So if you have any questions just ask away. Good luck and blessings, Michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: