Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 05:39 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times

Advertisements

Realistic and accurate? Or wildly wrong?

Utah is in the middle of a voter rebellion, driven by a growing gulf between what people actually want (marijuana, Medicaid, and fair districts) and what their conservative, religious elected representatives have been willing to give them.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...supermajority/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2021, 09:50 AM

46 posts, read 54,816 times
Mother Jones is usually about as realistic and accurate as CNN.

Old 04-09-2021, 11:58 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times
So, Mother Jones is spot on.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:30 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,139,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Realistic and accurate? Or wildly wrong?

Utah is in the middle of a voter rebellion, driven by a growing gulf between what people actually want (marijuana, Medicaid, and fair districts) and what their conservative, religious elected representatives have been willing to give them.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...supermajority/
pretty much. people voted for those things and the legislature diluted and changed the original intent of the ballot initiatives because they didn't like how the citizens voted.

I'm surprised they haven't come up with a law to prohibit ballot initiatives...yet.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:15 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
If we're starting to even edge towards the color purple, I'd just say it's about time! I think the younger generation is going to bring about a lot of good changes in our state and our nation.

Old 04-11-2021, 10:17 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrunaway View Post
Did you actually read the article? I didn't see a single thing that wasn't accurate.

Old 04-11-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrunaway View Post
Is there any particular fact that you'd like to dispute, or is that just an automatic reaction, while avoiding anything factual?

Old 04-11-2021, 09:50 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,639 times
I doubt there will be any huge changes although I agree that the legislature is much more socially conservative than the public at large.....that doesn't mean they are going to suddenly start voting democrat enmass.

Part of the problem is the same in most states,people often don't pay much attention to the state races.Voters get worked up over the presidential race,sometimes the governor or US Senate/House races but don't have a clue when it comes to state races and just vote for whoever has a D or R next to their name.Most people don't vote in the primaries and those who do tend to be more conservative than Republicans as a whole or more liberal on the Democrats side.....I doubt that will change to any great degree.

Old 04-13-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I doubt there will be any huge changes although I agree that the legislature is much more socially conservative than the public at large.....that doesn't mean they are going to suddenly start voting democrat enmass.

Part of the problem is the same in most states,people often don't pay much attention to the state races.Voters get worked up over the presidential race,sometimes the governor or US Senate/House races but don't have a clue when it comes to state races and just vote for whoever has a D or R next to their name.Most people don't vote in the primaries and those who do tend to be more conservative than Republicans as a whole or more liberal on the Democrats side.....I doubt that will change to any great degree.
I'd normally agree that there wouldn't be speedy changes, but these days I feel as if there is a growing impatience and rebelliousness across the nation, and some legislators may find that they're prodded into action.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:06 AM

120 posts, read 166,537 times
I'd say right and wrong both. Utah is, or was, a very Conservative state that valued all the right things. Over the last six or so years there has been a growing demographic shift to a massive amount of lazy, drug addicted freeloaders piling in and demanding their addictions be legalized and tolerated as well as demanding free stuff.

Unfortunately I have lived in a few other places previously that experienced this same pariah and cancer infecting those communities and the cancer will likely win out here as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah