U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2021, 05:39 PM
 
12,366 posts, read 11,224,003 times
Reputation: 16192

Advertisements

Realistic and accurate? Or wildly wrong?


Utah is in the middle of a voter rebellion, driven by a growing gulf between what people actually want (marijuana, Medicaid, and fair districts) and what their conservative, religious elected representatives have been willing to give them.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...supermajority/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-09-2021, 09:50 AM
 
16 posts, read 8,233 times
Reputation: 39
Mother Jones is usually about as realistic and accurate as CNN.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2021, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Alaska
3,055 posts, read 3,016,280 times
Reputation: 5248
So, Mother Jones is spot on.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2021, 04:30 PM
 
1,976 posts, read 1,104,009 times
Reputation: 4623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Realistic and accurate? Or wildly wrong?


Utah is in the middle of a voter rebellion, driven by a growing gulf between what people actually want (marijuana, Medicaid, and fair districts) and what their conservative, religious elected representatives have been willing to give them.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...supermajority/
pretty much. people voted for those things and the legislature diluted and changed the original intent of the ballot initiatives because they didn't like how the citizens voted.

I'm surprised they haven't come up with a law to prohibit ballot initiatives...yet.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2021, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
24,322 posts, read 24,870,701 times
Reputation: 11789
If we're starting to even edge towards the color purple, I'd just say it's about time! I think the younger generation is going to bring about a lot of good changes in our state and our nation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2021, 10:17 AM
 
Location: East Millcreek
2,510 posts, read 5,957,571 times
Reputation: 2922
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrunaway View Post
Mother Jones is usually about as realistic and accurate as CNN.
Did you actually read the article? I didn't see a single thing that wasn't accurate.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2021, 04:48 PM
 
12,366 posts, read 11,224,003 times
Reputation: 16192
Quote:
Originally Posted by highplainsrunaway View Post
Mother Jones is usually about as realistic and accurate as CNN.
Is there any particular fact that you'd like to dispute, or is that just an automatic reaction, while avoiding anything factual?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2021, 09:50 PM
 
3,153 posts, read 3,974,116 times
Reputation: 1557
I doubt there will be any huge changes although I agree that the legislature is much more socially conservative than the public at large.....that doesn't mean they are going to suddenly start voting democrat enmass.

Part of the problem is the same in most states,people often don't pay much attention to the state races.Voters get worked up over the presidential race,sometimes the governor or US Senate/House races but don't have a clue when it comes to state races and just vote for whoever has a D or R next to their name.Most people don't vote in the primaries and those who do tend to be more conservative than Republicans as a whole or more liberal on the Democrats side.....I doubt that will change to any great degree.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2021, 06:14 PM
 
12,366 posts, read 11,224,003 times
Reputation: 16192
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
I doubt there will be any huge changes although I agree that the legislature is much more socially conservative than the public at large.....that doesn't mean they are going to suddenly start voting democrat enmass.

Part of the problem is the same in most states,people often don't pay much attention to the state races.Voters get worked up over the presidential race,sometimes the governor or US Senate/House races but don't have a clue when it comes to state races and just vote for whoever has a D or R next to their name.Most people don't vote in the primaries and those who do tend to be more conservative than Republicans as a whole or more liberal on the Democrats side.....I doubt that will change to any great degree.
I'd normally agree that there wouldn't be speedy changes, but these days I feel as if there is a growing impatience and rebelliousness across the nation, and some legislators may find that they're prodded into action.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:06 AM
 
118 posts, read 114,637 times
Reputation: 370
I'd say right and wrong both. Utah is, or was, a very Conservative state that valued all the right things. Over the last six or so years there has been a growing demographic shift to a massive amount of lazy, drug addicted freeloaders piling in and demanding their addictions be legalized and tolerated as well as demanding free stuff.

Unfortunately I have lived in a few other places previously that experienced this same pariah and cancer infecting those communities and the cancer will likely win out here as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top