U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 06:52 AM

12 posts, read 4,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
Have you looked at Garden City? Much smaller population, but shorter drive up to Beaver Creek Ski area. Situated along Bear Lake, so population increases in the summer season. Also Fish Haven, Idaho-you would not know when you go from one to the other except for the signs. It's more like 2 and a half hours to SLC airport, and Logan Canyon might be snowy once in a while during winter. I think you may be able to find a detached for your budget in that area, and, of course, the raspberry scene is big up there.

Another small town prospect near Cedar City could be Parowan for access to Brian Head, or Beaver which isn't far from Eagle Point Ski area. (I don't have a clue about skiing, I'm just familiar with these places) Beaver has a good four-wheeler/ATV culture in the summer, but it is about 45 mins from Cedar, and more than 2 hours to either SLC or Las Vegas airports. St. George airport is slightly less than 2 hours. These towns are less than 50k population by quite a bit, but within an hour of larger towns, Logan or Cedar City.
Yes, I have looked into Garden City, not within the 425K budget, Fish City- the same. Cedar City is definately an option and we are looking into visiting there and meeting with builders. Parowan too small. Thank you so much for you input.

Last edited by kloos5; 04-23-2021 at 07:11 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Or this:

$309,900 3 bd/2ba 1,193 sqft

1128 S 820 E APT 6201, Heber City, UT 84032

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...72572915_zpid/
Rational Expectations, thank you for these two suggestions. We have not looked into Heber City, but now we will.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:51 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,461,384 times
the only down side to LOGAN is when they have high-pressure winter inversion and the air pollution gets bad, The population is about 85 % Mormon , who are very friendly ! , the mountains are very close by for fresh air. b eistiful place .

Old 04-24-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
the only down side to LOGAN is when they have high-pressure winter inversion and the air pollution gets bad, The population is about 85 % Mormon , who are very friendly ! , the mountains are very close by for fresh air. b eistiful place .
Thank you very much Wilberry. Yes, I am aware of the winter inversion, we are trying to avoid it by maybe finding something on the bench or close to it (the higher the elevation, the better, we heard). We really like Mormons and made some friends over the years while skiing or being guests in their homes. Have a great weekend!

Old 04-27-2021, 06:12 PM

So I wanted to update everyone and thank them for their help! We are flying to SLC this Thursday and spending 4 nights in Logan. We have various meetings set up with builders. We are so excited to get some hiking in and to breathe some cold air and to start construction on our new vacation home. I will update on here as we progress. Thank you again to everyone that provided time and input. It is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Old 05-06-2021, 03:27 PM

6,812 posts, read 4,284,945 times
Heber/Midway would be ideal (IMO) but you would have to scrub real hard to stay on budget.

Old Today, 11:20 AM

1 posts
Default Love the sound of this location

Hi!

I too have been following real estate in the Ogden Valley. What a delightful choice you have in front of you and what great advice you have gotten here! Can I piggy back here or do would it be better for me to start another post?

I was originally looking at Heber/Midway/Kamas area, but have been steered away from that area because I have heard there are infrastructure problems in that valley. I don't mean to gossip as I don't know this myself but I thought it was worth mentioning because I feel it came from a trusted source. If anyone knows differently, please correct me!

This same person (who lives in Logan) told me they would love to retire to the Ogden Valley and wished their parent would do so. With that said I have focused on Eden/Liberty/Huntsville. This would be my retirement home. Since I have left my job as a ski instructor about 15 years ago (Snowmass, Colorado), I have been working in a "real job" so that I could actually afford to retire (). My real job in in Boulder, Colorado and I am in a condo in a nearby town. However I have always dreamed of going back to that lifestyle and retiring near a ski area. I would love to continue to work as an instructor part time and ski!

I have been following real estate in the Heber area for about 7 years and always felt it was a place I could afford to move to and be close to a major ski area. Since the housing market has gotten so crazy, I am not sure how that will effect my plans but I am not giving up as I do own my own condo so I am already in the game and should be able to ante up at the new price point.

I am about a year away from my planned move. I am considering a home or land to build, but building may prove very expensive in this current situation so at this time I am just considering all options.

I have also considered Brian Head, as I once worked with someone who came from there (when I worked at Mt Bachelor Ski Area, Oregon), I also was looking into New Meadows, and McCall area as Brundage Mt is close by. The latter is an amazing location also ( beautiful green green grean) but I think it is inundated with snow and rain to the point that it might be a hard commute to Brundage, but again I don't know. I have added all these locations to the weather app on my phone and follow the weather as I track my local weather. It gives one a nice perspective.

I wanted to make a connection with the original poster to learn more of your plans and how they are shaped by what you learn.

I would like to visit this area this coming September, in preparation I would like to find a local real estate person. My question for some of the local posters are can you recommend local real estate people for land and home buying in the Ogden Valley. Also local builders?

It is an exciting time and and there are exciting choices to make!

All the best in your efforts! Cynthia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: