U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2021, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 113 times

Advertisements

I am considering opening a business in the Saratoga Springs/Lehi area and would like some advice on the matter from people familiar with/from the area. From my research, I have learned that these areas are growing quickly and are family friendly which would be great for my business; however, I have a few concerns about the large LDS community which my family and I are not apart of and how it may affect us.

1. How likely is it that LDS members would not like to do business with us due to our not being LDS? Do they typically go out of their way to bring their children to businesses that are run by LDS members?

2. Do LDS families with more children tend to enroll them all in different extracurricular activities (meaning drive to different locations multiple times a week on top of spending the monthly fees for those)? How do they manage?

3. Why are the school grades in Utah so low?

4. My child is not only non-LDS, but a very minority race for this area. Should we be concerned about them being excluded or bullied? Is it a bad idea to raise them here?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 04:05 PM

2,467 posts, read 6,361,554 times
I can’t speak specifically for the Lehi area, but I will go out on a limb and say for question 1, that is a non issue. If you have a product/service that is needed, LDS and non LDS will utilize it. People from out of state tend to blow this issue way out of proportion. Out of all the businesses I use, I couldn’t tell you who is LDS and who is not; nor do I care.

2. Yes, parents put their kids in different sports/activities. They usually will carpool with other families who have children in the same activity. My two daughters were heavily involved in sports at a young age. One played competition soccer and the other did competition gymnastics and later on, competition dance. My husband and I just made it work. We aren’t LDS, by the way. We just felt like it was important for our children to be involved in something they wanted to do.

3. Why are the grades low? I’m not sure what you mean. There are plenty of high scoring students in this state. Both my kids were honor students with above average ACT scores. If they aren’t doing well, that speaks to their own drive and diligence.

4. There are plenty of minorities here, so they certainly won’t be out of place. I want to say they won’t be excluded nor bullied. I’m not a minority, so I won’t begin to speculate how one in school would be treated. I will say that sometimes (many times!) exclusion and bullying happens in schools regardless of race.

Last edited by JMT; Today at 08:04 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

5,609 posts, read 12,156,576 times
Comments inserted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpodo View Post
I am considering opening a business in the Saratoga Springs/Lehi area and would like some advice on the matter from people familiar with/from the area. From my research, I have learned that these areas are growing quickly and are family friendly which would be great for my business; however, I have a few concerns about the large LDS community which my family and I are not apart of and how it may affect us.

1. How likely is it that LDS members would not like to do business with us due to our not being LDS? Do they typically go out of their way to bring their children to businesses that are run by LDS members?

I do not think, that anybody, regardless of religious background really cares if the product the person needs, is supplied by some person with a particular religious background. Personally, I am more interested in who can provide me the needed product at the lowest price and with the best service. You mention "family friendly" and "great for (my)your business" in one sentence... I wonder, what are you going to sell, that will be Family Friendly? What is "your" idea of being "Family Friendly"? If it really is "Family Friendly", I can almost guarantee you that LDS people will frequent your family-friendly business!

2. Do LDS families with more children tend to enroll them all in different extracurricular activities (meaning drive to different locations multiple times a week on top of spending the monthly fees for those)? How do they manage?

This a personal commitment that is part of LDS life in general. You hear something and then 'you' think all of the LDS people are just like that! Be assured that the reality is that the percentage of LDS people who truly live LDS principles is sadly actually rather low.

3. Why are the school grades in Utah so low?

Compared to which other area? Compared to where you came from? Why come to a lower (if you know so for sure) intellectual area? Have you checked, how much research is done in Utah and how far ahead the medical service here is compared to other areas? Do you know that Utah is at the top end of the fastest growing States in the Nation? Who, in his or her right mind would come to a State that is populated by (they say) a bunch of weird religious people, who also happen to be low scoring in school?

4. My child is not only non-LDS, but a very minority race for this area. Should we be concerned about them being excluded or bullied? Is it a bad idea to raise them here?

The idea that other religions and/or minorities might be a drawback, all depends on who you come in contact with (there are idiots everywhere) and how you personally react to the 'apparently' bad problem. I mention 'apparently' because most of these pre-conceived ideas did originally come from perpetual nay-sayers... It is up to you to believe and follow their advice!

Thank you in advance for your time and advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah