Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 9,965 times

Advertisements

Hi , I am a 19 year old male looking to leave expensive california. I am looking for a nice town, that has low crime and just an all around nice neighborhood. I am single and was wondering what area would be sufficient for me , looking to rent an apartment for 800 or less a month. im looking to move by august. thanks for all your help. Ill ask more q's later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Well from the little you said you're looking for Orem seems like it would be a good fit for you.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 9,965 times
Default orem

so whats orem like? (weather, malls, sports, parks). where are the bad parts of town? is provo close enough to commute to orem for work easily?

Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
I grew up in Orem. Lived there for 21 years. Provo and Orem are connected, so a commute to either city is minor. I wouldn't live south of Center street in Provo. I don't know of any describable bad areas of Orem. There areas I'm sure, I'm just not sure where they are.

Plenty of parks if you mean city parks.

Orem zip codes are 84057, 84097 and 84058 if you'd like to search online for their weather history.

University Mall in Orem or Provo Towne Centre in Provo are the two malls there. They are both pretty good size with a lot of shopping options.

Closest major airport is in Salt Lake....approximately 45 minutes north of Orem.

Would you want to interact with college students since you're 19? You'd probably find some type of organized sports clubs if you frequent bulletin boards of UVSC (soon to be UVU on July1st) or BYU.

If you're not LDS I wouldn't recommend Orem or Provo. I am not LDS and really didn't fit in with the community. Orem is a very, very, VERY family oriented, "kids first" type of area. You might feel like an outsider if you're not married with children....even though you're only 19.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:24 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,271 times
I was thinking the same thing as eggalegga. If you're not LDS, you'll find socializing in Orem a bit difficult. There are TONS of people your age (because of two universities in Provo/Orem) but the vast majority of the students are LDS. However, you can find your niche, you might just find it strange at first.

It's hard to tell where Provo ends and Orem begins, and you can probably get from any spot in one to any spot in the other within a half hour or less. There aren't any professional sports in the area, but SLC has the Jazz. There are some less-desirable parts of Orem, but they're just pockets here and there, so it's hard to say there's a specific area to avoid. In general, the west side of Orem south of 800 N is a little scary, although as you get farther south you get into nice houses again.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:47 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,882 times
Wasn't Orem rated the safest city in America once?

EDIT-oh, never mind, it was one of the safest (#12 out of 370 cities rated) That's still pretty good, though!

Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 AM

12 posts, read 31,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1904 View Post
Hi , I am a 19 year old male looking to leave expensive california.
The cost of living anywhere in Utah would be an improvement, but I should warn you that the Orem/Provo area is the most socially conservative area in the country. Seriously, it's like living inside Rush Limbaugh's mouth. If you think Fox News is too liberal, Orem's the place for you. If not, I would definitely recommend Salt Lake, Park City, or St. George, where there are a lot more people who've moved in from everywhere, and are more moderate.

Of course, if you already have a job in that area, and you must live there, it is very nice, with low cost of living, lots to do (except nightlife), good access to recreation, beautiful mountains, etc. As the other person mentioned, if you're not LDS (Mormon) you may have a hard time with the dating scene. If you are, then you're in LDS dating heaven.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:35 PM

5 posts, read 10,877 times
You mentioned you want to pay less than 800 a month. Really that is two or three times more than you would be paying. I rented a house right in front of liberty park and had the whole floor to myself with an upstairs and downstars apartment neighbours for 375 a month. Really being single unless you want to live alone you shouldn't pay more than 300 to 400 a month. Having said that your not going to make anywhere as much money as you do in Cally. The cost of living is much less so the hourly rate you make matches it, as it is with all places. If you like the outdoors this is a really good place to be, that is why I like it.

I also forgot to mention I used to work in Law Enforcement with an area that coverd Park City, Salt Lake and north Utah valley (Oremish). Anyway the crime rate in Orem and Provo is extremly low and that is I feel because of the similar beliefs and mind sets of everyone that lives there not just the LDS people but every one in the valley, ie if you bring a crime element anywhere in the valley the locals aren't going to be tolerant of it at all which keeps the crime rate down. I hope I worded that right but I am sure you get what I am trying to say.

Last edited by WanderingMountaingoat; 06-14-2009 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Adding stuff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah