Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 12:16 AM

745 posts, read 1,293,699 times

Advertisements

Sorry to tell you but when your friendly mormon neighbors find out you don't want to convert, they are probably not going to be your friendly neighbors anymore. Once you stop being a recruiting prospect, you will probably never hear from them again. This will probably be true for children as well, maybe even more so since kids can be very cruel to anyone different.
As far as crime and schools, it depends on where you want to live. If you are looking at somewhere in Salt Lake County, most of the schools on the East side of the valley will be adequate and the neighborhoods are nicer than most on the west side. Of course that is relative to where you are relocating from too.
Can't help with Kamas or Heber.

Old 01-17-2007, 12:47 AM

24 posts, read 60,787 times
I'm not LDS and I've lived in Utah for 10 years now. At first, all my LDS neighbors were very nice and I believe it was an attempt to "win me over." After a couple of years some of them gave up and the "nice" seemed to slowly fade away. But, that's OK. I feel sorry for them, the poor people trying to work their way into the Celestial kingdom. I realize they will never accept me because I will not go to the temple to get dipped. I still love it here in Utah. Take time to educate yourself about the "church." Read the book, Joseph Smith Begins His Work, it has the original 1830 version of the book of mormon. Read the book of mormon, you'll be surprised how many mormons have never really read it. When you compare the original book of mormon to the one they read now, you will get quite a laugh. They call it the most perfect book ever written. After you read the book of mormon, you will realize that: 1. the book of mormon got it wrong when it says Jesus was born in Jerusalem, 2. the book of mormon teaches against the mormon belief of proxy baptism, 3. the book of mormon teaches against polygamy. When you realize what they have swallowed all these years and don't even know what the book of mormon teaches and compare the original book of mormon with all the spelling and punctuation errors, you realize this religion is a joke and you just feel sorry for the poor people who practice it.

Old 01-17-2007, 11:18 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,516,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
When you...compare the original book of mormon with all the spelling and punctuation errors, you realize this...is a joke
Yes, I see what you mean.

I'm not LDS (COMMA) and I've lived in Utah for 10 (NUMBERS UP TO TEN SHOULD BE SPELLED) years now (ALTHOUGH NOT A PREPOSITION OR PARTICIPLE, “NOW” IS VERY AWKWARD AND SHOULD NOT BE USED AT THE END OF A SENTENCE.). At first, all my LDS neighbors were very nice (COMMA) and I believe it was an attempt to "win me over." After a couple of years (COMMA) some of them gave up (COMMA) and the "nice" seemed to slowly fade away. But, (;HOWEVER,) that's OK. I feel sorry for them, (PERIOD) (THE “T” NEEDS TO BE CAPITALIZED, BUT THE SENTENCE IS STILL STRANGE AND NEEDS TO BE REWORDED) the poor people trying to work their way into the Celestial kingdom (KINGDOM, AS USED IN CELESTIAL KINGDOM, IS A PROPER NOUN; THEREFORE, THE “K” SHOULD BE CAPITALIZED.). I realize they will never accept me (COMMA) because I will not go to the temple (TEMPLE IN THIS CASE IS A PROPER NOUN, AND THE "T" MUST BE CAPITALIZED.) to get dipped. I still love it here in Utah. Take time to educate yourself about the "church." (SINCE YOU ARE REFERRING TO A SPECIFIC CHURCH, WHICH IS A PROPER NOUN, YOU MUST CAPITALIZE THE “C.”) Read the book, (IT SHOULD BE WRITTEN, “READ JOSEPH SMITH BEGINS HIS WORK.") Joseph Smith Begins His Work (TITLES OF BOOKS MUST BE IN ITALICS) , (NO COMMA HERE. USE A SEMICOLON.) it has the original 1830 version of the book of mormon. (TITLE) Read the book of mormon, (TITLE) (SEMICOLON) you'll be surprised how many mormons (CAPITALIZE THE “M.” MORMONS IS A PROPER NOUN) have never really read it. When you compare the original book of mormon (TITLE) to the one they read now, you will get quite a (ELIMINATE "GET QUITE A.") laugh. They call it the most perfect book ever written. After you read (TENSE CONFUSION) the book of mormon, (TITLE) you will realize that: (SHOULD READ, “YOU WILL REALIZE THE FOLLOWING) 1. (0NE,) the (CAPITALIZE THE “T.”) book of mormon (TITLE) got it wrong (HOW CAN A BOOK GET IT WRONG?!?!? I ASSUME YOU MEAN THE AUTHOR.) (COMMA) when it says (BOOKS SAY NOTHING, IT IS THE AUTHOR SPEAKING.) Jesus was born in Jerusalem, (PERIOD) 2. (TWO,) the book of mormon (TITLE) teaches against the mormon (PROPER NOUN) belief of proxy baptism, (PERIOD) 3. (THREE,) the book of mormon (TITLE) teaches against polygamy. (AWKWARD WORDING) When you realize what they have swallowed all these years and don't even know what the book of mormon (TITLE) teaches and compare the original book of mormon (TITLE) with all the spelling and punctuation errors, you realize this religion is a joke and you just feel sorry for the poor people who practice it. (RUN-ON SENTENCE)

Last edited by SergeantL; 01-17-2007 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-17-2007, 11:39 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,712,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I'm not LDS and I've lived in Utah for 10 years now. At first, all my LDS neighbors were very nice and I believe it was an attempt to "win me over." After a couple of years some of them gave up and the "nice" seemed to slowly fade away. But, that's OK. I feel sorry for them, the poor people trying to work their way into the Celestial kingdom. I realize they will never accept me because I will not go to the temple to get dipped. I still love it here in Utah. Take time to educate yourself about the "church." Read the book, Joseph Smith Begins His Work, it has the original 1830 version of the book of mormon. Read the book of mormon, you'll be surprised how many mormons have never really read it. When you compare the original book of mormon to the one they read now, you will get quite a laugh. They call it the most perfect book ever written. After you read the book of mormon, you will realize that: 1. the book of mormon got it wrong when it says Jesus was born in Jerusalem, 2. the book of mormon teaches against the mormon belief of proxy baptism, 3. the book of mormon teaches against polygamy. When you realize what they have swallowed all these years and don't even know what the book of mormon teaches and compare the original book of mormon with all the spelling and punctuation errors, you realize this religion is a joke and you just feel sorry for the poor people who practice it.
From time to time we get the kinds of posts. They complain about how unfriendly the Mormon neighbors are. And incidents of friendliness they can remember are conveniently attributed to conversion attempts. Then they go on to ridicule the religion, and mock the very neighbors they say aren’t just continually coming over with open arms and plates of cookies. Then they wonder why the neighbor’s friendliness has faded with time.

Here’s a word for you – it might be bigger than what you usually use. But it’s called “introspection.” Look it up in the dictionary, and then think hard to put two and two together and tell me why your LDS neighbors might not socialize with you too much.

Last edited by coolcats; 01-17-2007 at 12:14 PM.. Reason: Removed specific names.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 PM

40 posts, read 141,746 times
Getting back to the original request for info on being non-LDS in a predominantly LDS state - my experience was that I could work really hard to be friends with people in my neighborhood (throw parties, give gifts at Christmas time, invite all the neighborhood kids to our house for bouncy house day) and I was constantly let down as were my kids. There was a boy who lived right across the street from us that was the exact age of my son, and his parents made no effort to let them play together. We certainly tried to go over there and talk and play when their son was outside, but their response was not positive. I hosted parties at my house for all kinds of things and invited the neighborhood ladies - barely anyone showed up that was LDS (the non-LDS ladies always seemed to show up). I started a bunco group for the neighborhood ladies as a way to get everyone talking and knowing each other. Only one or two LDS ladies were ever there and I was told the others wouldn't be going because what we were doing was against their religion. (Their bishop said it was gambling and they shouldn't attend my function). The couple that did show up could see it was all just "fun and games." When I suggested that we do a movie night or dinner night, no one was for that either. I invited several neighborhood kids to come over to play on some bouncy houses we rented and eat pizza - their parents' said they'd be over and NO ONE showed up. I struggled with being gossiped about in my neighborhood, people speculating about why I worked when I had 2 kids.

It wasn't all bad. I did have a couple LDS friends but one of them had a goal to get me to church (as did some of the others). She wouldn't let up and that pretty much ended our relationship. I did leave Utah with a best friend who is LDS. She was the only one that opened her door and heart to my family including my children. In a neighborhood filled with kids my children's ages, her son was the only friend my kids had. It made the last year and a half bearable.

So I guess I would say you can try really hard to be friends with everyone and may be successful, but it will be up to you to make it happen. Those of us in the neighborhood that were not LDS all got along pretty well - we weren't best of friends but we'd stop the mower to talk to each other, we'd wave back when we were waved at or we'd initiate the waves that were not reciprocated by all.

I think the main problem is that the LDS church has so many activities set up and meetings to attend that many LDS people appear to be ignoring or not taking the time to get to know others. However they are just busy. All the other kids are friends because they go to church together and church activities together and their parents are in the company of the other LDS parents. The rest of us are forgotten. I think that is why the prophet a few years ago made a statement to everyone to "be kind." I sure struggled to find people that were unconditionally kind to me and my family.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:28 PM

378 posts, read 1,900,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
From time to time we get the kinds of posts. They complain about how unfriendly the Mormon neighbors are. And incidents of friendliness they can remember are conveniently attributed to conversion attempts. Then they go on to ridicule the religion, and mock the very neighbors they say aren’t just continually coming over with open arms and plates of cookies. Then they wonder why the neighbor’s friendliness has faded with time.

Here’s a word for you – it might be bigger than what you usually use. But it’s called “introspection.” Look it up in the dictionary, and then think hard to put two and two together and tell me why your LDS neighbors might not socialize with you too much.
I completely agree with you coolcats, except for that last part. Most of the comments that refer to mormons on this forum could easily be replaced with another religion or race. Statements painted with a broad brush always tend to look silly and any educated person shrugs it off to ignorance. I'm not denying that LDS folks can be exclusive, but it is human nature to associate with those whom you have the most in common.

Personally I have barely enough time to reach out to all my neighbors, LDS or not. The "chuch" has me going to so many meetings on Sunday and Wednesday it consumes me! I love it!

Old 01-17-2007, 04:41 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,712,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Shawn View Post
I completely agree with you coolcats, except for that last part. Most of the comments that refer to mormons on this forum could easily be replaced with another religion or race. Statements painted with a broad brush always tend to look silly and any educated person shrugs it off to ignorance. I'm not denying that LDS folks can be exclusive, but it is human nature to associate with those whom you have the most in common.

Personally I have barely enough time to reach out to all my neighbors, LDS or not. The "chuch" has me going to so many meetings on Sunday and Wednesday it consumes me! I love it!
REBL and ES do bring up a truth about life here. There is such a mass of LDS people going to a geographically defined ward that it can become the de-facto social institution for the neighborhood. It’s unfortunate in that it leaves some people out, and Church leaders have made statements about the issue. It’s definitely not insidious like some people insinuate.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:45 PM

47 posts, read 230,866 times
Sorry I cannot respond to the children issue though I would imagine that any adjustments would be fairly traumatic..and that may depend more on the parents that the children. Having been brought up in a military family, I did not attend my first predominantly caucasion school until my sophomore year of hi school....in south Texas...and was shocked to learn that African-Americans had their own school.
In any case, I've lived in Utah for 25 years, currently retired. I had several hundred people working for me (as a supervisor, NOT an owner) prior to retirement and, though I never kept track, am guessing that a substantial percentage were LDS. I socialized as much as I wanted to and the fact that I was not LDS never seemed to be an issue. That has not changed since my retirement some 10 years ago. This is an absolutely beautiful place to live....the only thing lacking is an ocean beach which I find myself visiting from time to time. There is enough cultural diversity to satisfy my lifestyle. Back to the issues posted herein, I have never felt rejected nor have I been looked down upon, at least not overtly. I have never been proselitized. If you come to Utah and EXPECT to be rejected or looked down upon, you probably will be. On the other hand, if you come with an open mind and with a clear intent toward making a positive contribution to the societal levels of which you become a part, I doubt you'll have any problems. It is certainly overly simplistic, but I think most of the problems we have are the ones we create. And, before someone jumps all over this, I am NOT well to do, do NOT live in Park City. I live comfortably in a very modest country setting, mind my own business, as do my neighbors. I do not participate in any organized religion. Good luck to you.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:21 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,516,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas2006 View Post
I've lived in Utah for 25 years...I socialized as much as I wanted and the fact that I was not LDS never seemed to be an issue...I have never felt rejected...{I}f you come with an open mind and a clear intent toward making a positive contribution...I doubt you'll have any problems...I think most of the problems we have are the ones we create. good luck to you.
The voice of reason.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:27 AM

56 posts, read 158,414 times
Hmmmmm... Moving to Utah...The heartland of 14-15 million LDS folks....and wondering why they may ask you to socialize with them by going to church with them. Hmmmm...Guess what? That is what we do in Utah. By going to church they will tie you up and throw you in the water. I am always amazed by what people think is going to happen by going to church. I was a little shocked when I watched people roll around on the floor in a baptist meeting I went to several years ago. I don't recall ever being on the floor in my ward. I guess if you read enough blogs you can find something strange or silly in every religon. Fact is the same thing happens over and over again in my ward. No lightning, thunder, the bricks don't fall out of the walls, and by the way people are talking as fast as they can even during the meetings. Hmmmm... same thing happens, different religion.
I have not found anything different in the Mormon church than I have found in any other church.As far as folks not coming to your house to be your best friend? I am one of "those people" who do not allow my kids to play with kids who have bad language, who smoke, drink coffee, or yes, even to play with kids who have bad grades or can't behave. I don't play with adults who do the same. Dosent mean I don't like them, just don't want to expose my kids or myself to it.Hmmmmm....Bad man...Bad, Bad man............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah