Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:27 PM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlasaLost View Post
Rocky---I'd still like to know where you got that *as translated by Joseph Smith* reference in regard to the Bible the LDS Church uses. I'm looking at my own 15-year old copy of the Bible right now where the opening page states: [CENTER]The HOLY BIBLE
Containing the
OLD AND NEW TESTAMENTS

TRANSLATED OUT OF THE
ORIGINAL TONGUES; AND WITH THE
FORMER TRANSLATIONS DILIGENTLY COMPARED
AND REVISED, BY HIS MAJESTY'S
SPECIAL COMMAND

AUTHORIZED KING JAMES VERSION
WITH EXPLANATORY NOTES AND
CROSS REFERENCES TO THE STANDARD WORKS
OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST
OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS[/CENTER]

[LEFT]Notice that it states it is the "authorized" King James Version--and it is! Yes, there are cross references and expanatory [foot]notes which include comments of Joseph Smith, but they also include references to the original Hebrew and Greek texts, plus cross references to other applicable scripture, all of which are of help in understanding the scripture---but I cannot find any reference to "as translated by Joseph Smith"[/LEFT]
Got it from the Bishop of the Woodruff Ward in Cincinnati North Ward which shares a ward-house with the (not kidding) Montgomery Ward. Right on the spine, in raised letters and right there inside on one of those first pages like a copyright-page are the words "Translated by Joseph Smith". I don't have it with me - it's still back near Cincinnati - and Lhasa, perhaps I'm too steep in my assumption (obviously) that all LDS use and have used the book for nearly forever since yours doesn't appear to be one.
Any other questions I can fumble for you? <smile>

Old 01-27-2007, 02:21 AM

4 posts, read 14,615 times
Why won't you eat pizza and drink a beer? They sound like true potential friends. Why would you allow an organized religion to control you so much, are you afraid? Does the church scare you? and Why? I am free because I know Jesus personally and he allows me to drink an occasional beer. Don't want to be rude to you I just want to help. Sometimes I choose not to drink at all either but it is my decision, not a church decision. I also thought Mormans believed in the Bible, "Drink and be Merry" Oh must be that man Joseph Smith wanted to control all his followers. I realise I am fortunate that I know Jesus and he his my guide not a group of people in a church. Jesus is number 1. I know many cult followers live in fear and are afraid to have a mind of there own, that is what cults do, they like sheep, people that do what they are told and don't think for themselves. Jesus wants us to be true to ourselves, remember that if you ever feel lost.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:03 AM

Default Joseph Smith "Edition" KJV-for Lhasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnr View Post
Got it from the Bishop of the Woodruff Ward in Cincinnati North Ward which shares a ward-house with the (not kidding) Montgomery Ward. Right on the spine, in raised letters and right there inside on one of those first pages like a copyright-page are the words "Translated by Joseph Smith". I don't have it with me - it's still back near Cincinnati - and Lhasa, perhaps I'm too steep in my assumption (obviously) that all LDS use and have used the book for nearly forever since yours doesn't appear to be one.
Any other questions I can fumble for you? <smile>
Lhasa, they ought to have an edit-button for afterI've had a night's sleep and am thinking straighter. I've been using the word "translation" - which is incorrect. The word is "edition" (Joseph Smith Edition) - can't translate a book from english to english (can you?). Story is the same though - J.S. and the sleepless nights, prayer, same attention as he gave the B.O.M but without those "magic thingies" he reportedly used for the B.O.M. Gonna make me crazy 'til I get my belongings back from Ohio.
Oh, and it was the Milford Ward - not Woodruff ward.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:14 AM

[quote=TellingitLikeitis;310447]Why won't you eat pizza and drink a beer? They sound like true potential friends. Why would you allow an organized religion to control you so much, are you afraid? Does the church scare you? and Why? I am free because I know Jesus personally and he allows me to drink an occasional beer. Don't want to be rude to you I just want to help. Sometimes I choose not to drink at all either but it is my decision, not a church decision. I also thought Mormans believed in the Bible, "Drink and be Merry" Oh must be that man Joseph Smith wanted to control all his followers. I realise I am fortunate that I know Jesus and he his my guide not a group of people in a church. Jesus is number 1. I know many cult followers live in fear and are afraid to have a mind of there own, that is what cults do, they like sheep, people that do what they are told and don't think for themselves. Jesus wants us to be true to ourselves, remember that if you ever feel lost.[/QUOTE

TellIt, I'm not LDS but want to respond. They do eat pizza - and there's an old joke among non-mormons that goes "How do you keep a Mormon from drinking all your beer on a fishing trip?" -answer- "take TWO Mormons". They're just folks - some slip occasionally - some slip entirely - some never do. They also are not to drink hot liquids - which was not an original tenet but was added by a "council" some years later and somehow came to mean "no caffeine" even later. They have their own health-agenda (right or wrong) so, no coffee, no hot tea, no colas (Amazing consumption of diet-coke though - one of their innocent foibles), no smoking - even though many of the earliest Mormons smoked - in other words ... sober to the near-max. They have a hierarchy - and show their respect towards them with their life-style. On the surface, theirs is a very different "religion" - in practice, it's the "same-ol', same-ol" with twists and temples, no preachers. In reality, they place more emphasis on a few extras and less emphasis on a couple of standard themes. The rest? Well, any practicing Christian - especially of the pentacostal-type can figure that out.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:25 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,908 times
Thing's have loosened up in recent years so many drink soda with caffine but not coffee. But i have heard of people drinking coffee as long as it was decaff. And in response to TellingItLikeItIs,I honestly don't know how you can call the LDS Church a cult. The FLDS church is in my opinion a cult . This is the religion run by Warren Jeffs who most people have heard of in recent months. This part broke off from the LDS Church in the 1800s after polygamy was outlawed. I am tired of hearing people make it sound like a terrorizing lifestyle they lead in the LDS Church, and how dare you say that about Joseph Smith and disrepect the dead. Why don't you just take a trip to utah and i will be shocked if you still call them a crazy cult.

Last edited by cottonwood2420; 01-27-2007 at 05:36 AM..

Old 01-27-2007, 05:34 AM

Two common-courtesty items regarding moving to Utah and dealing with Mormons.
1. Don't call them a cult.
2. Don't call them non-Christian.

They have a real problem with these two items. So, if you're considering a move to Utah ... keep these in mind just like when moving to Rome - do not tick off the Italians!

Old 01-27-2007, 05:41 AM

Well they are not a cult except for the seperate church is southern utah. The LDS church is not a cult but i no matter how much people say that i think many people will always cotest it. Unfortunate but true. I also find something wrong. On tv the LDS church seems to be used alot on a show called Gilmore Girls. I've heard at least three or four joke's about the LDS Church and it is stupid and very insulting.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Well they are not a cult except for the seperate church is southern utah. The LDS church is not a cult but i no matter how much people say that i think many people will always cotest it. Unfortunate but true. I also find something wrong. On tv the LDS church seems to be used alot on a show called Gilmore Girls. I've heard at least three or four joke's about the LDS Church and it is stupid and very insulting.
Having been raised in the "mainstream Christianity" circle, I can agree that the "cult" handle will never go away, as you say. It should be noted that several of the sects you call "cults" are, to my knowledge, more properly called "fundamentalists" - or, those who try and adhere strictly to what they see as the original and correct tenets laid down in the early 1800's. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Never watched the "Gilmore Girls" - but I too have noticed more references to the LDS on TV shows - I think it just represents a shortage of new material.
Shucks, when my mama passed away and I went back to Ohio and told my family I'd been living in Utah - they all asked about the "big, black hats and beards"! They can relate it to the Amish as many of them have seen Amish - but most have never known a Mormon who looks like everybody else.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:22 AM

Here are the three jokes from Gilmore Girls that i remember. There were probobly more but i've forgot:
1. Is this enough alcohol? Well maybe if i was in utah. (Loreli talking to her Father)

2. That lady just said she wanted 11 children. Good lord. Yeah i think the words latter day saints were about to come out of her mouth. (Doyle talking to Paris)

3. We heard you moved to utah. Yes but it didnt stick. Why? The no alcohol part. Yes they famously abstain. By the way i have some great websites to reccomend to you Loreli i spent alot of time online while i was a mormon there wasnt much else to do. (Toban talking to Loreli and Suki)

Old 01-27-2007, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Here are the three jokes from Gilmore Girls that i remember. There were probobly more but i've forgot:
1. Is this enough alcohol? Well maybe if i was in utah. (Loreli talking to her Father)

2. That lady just said she wanted 11 children. Good lord. Yeah i think the words latter day saints were about to come out of her mouth. (Doyle talking to Paris)

3. We heard you moved to utah. Yes but it didnt stick. Why? The no alcohol part. Yes they famously abstain. By the way i have some great websites to reccomend to you Loreli i spent alot of time online while i was a mormon there wasnt much else to do. (Toban talking to Loreli and Suki)
Well, Cotton, you have to admit the Olympics brought a lot of focus on Utah and some of the differences in living there - hence, number 1 is fairly current and perhaps not insulting.
number 2 - this used to be directed at folks in Appalachia and southerners in general - we all take a turn-in-the-barrel. The difference is - when it was aimed at southerners, it really was meant insultingly. (I'll assume you're LDS).
LDS is very pro-family, pro-large family - the more souls, the better - so, I think it's aimed more at the "quaintness" of the LDS philosophy when compared to the current, mainstream approach of having more manageable family numbers and perhaps is not intended as insulting.
number 3 - it misses the point. It's a common misconception that Mormons have no fun or nothing to do. The bulk of active LDS that I have known are some of the busiest folks on the planet! Family-Home-Evenings (good thing), Elders Quorums, the Relief-societies, Feeding the poor, running down to the cannery once or twice a year to help put up food for the distribution program, home-teaching, kids' nights - they're busier than most churches in that the Church (ward center, stake center) actually gets used. So, this joke was born out of misconception.
TV is TV - somebody's always getting bashed for the sake of a punch-line.
Your turn!! - No offense Cotton - but the publicity just might make somebody walk up to you some day and say "Tell me about the Mormons" - and there's your relief!
(and just to mention, the LDS do indeed do a couple of things as part of their regular religious existence that mainstreamers have been taught is wrong)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah