Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times

Advertisements

I know that work will require many Saints to move out of Utah. I have read so much material in this forum regarding the inhospitality of Latter-Day Saints in Utah, I believe it is appropriate to warn members of the Church regarding what to expect outside of Utah or Idaho.

Now, keep this in mind. Since I have suffered the following examples and I am within the normative statistical percentiles of society, it is certain all of this will happen to all LDS members outside of Utah or Idaho with a plus or minus 5% error rate. Furthermore, even though these examples may appear anecdotal and sporadic at first blush and there is no proof the events ever took place, there can be no doubt all of society has this same attitude toward members of the LDS faith. Anyone seen my tongue? It was somewhere near my cheek last time I saw it.

After leaving our son at the Missionary Training Center at BYU, my wife and I were on a late night flight back to California. The gentlemen sitting across the aisle from my wife struck up a conversation, asking us why we were visiting California. My wife told him we lived in California, and we were returning after leaving our son at the MTC at BYU. His entire countenance changed, and without another word, he got up and relocated to an empty seat at the rear of the aircraft.

Even after 32 years at the same place of work, my coworkers can’t understand why I won’t contribute to the coffee fund. They can’t understand why I won’t eat pizza and drink beer with them while watching football on Sunday. They tell me I don’t have to drink beer; they will buy Coke or something.

My favorite discussions include: Polygamy (their word, not mine), how do we get permission to baptize corpses, what kind of idiot pays 10% of his or her gross income to a church, and true freedom is the ability to smoke and drink without some old man telling you it’s wrong, while he picks your pocket for 10% of your income.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:18 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Most Fundamentalist Christians consider Mormonism a cult, more akin to Hinduism with Christian wording. It's considered Pagan and not Christian at all by most. I think there's a certain level of discomfort among Christians when they encounter Mormons and find out that the person they are talking to is Mormon. It's kind of like the reaction most people have when they find out someone is a Scientologist... "they're outta there".
Even so, people should be polite and friendly and if they are uncomfortable with Mormons, don't talk about religion.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:41 AM

41 posts, read 127,844 times
I almost took you seriously until I reread it and saw the tongue and cheek bit. I sure hope I do understand the point you are making.

People in Utah treat people the same way other people who live in other states treat newcomers. That is, it takes a while to make friends with someone new. Just because the LDS people are easy to pick on because of their large numbers in Utah does the whole inhospitable thing get overblown. Moving to Utah is no different than someone from Texas moving to Connecticut. It will always feel awkward to move to a new place, it is easy to make your fears of not being accepted reality, and you will feel like an outsider for period of time. This of course is all magnified because of someone's fear of being different, in this case not being LDS. The more different you feel, the worse you perceive the situation. Since the LDS lifestyle is quite different, it is easy to see how newcomers can exagerate their feelings.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:44 AM

610 posts, read 3,318,852 times
[quote=SergeantL;288957]I know that work will require many Saints to move out of Utah. I have read so much material in this forum regarding the inhospitality of Latter-Day Saints in Utah, I believe it is appropriate to warn members of the Church regarding what to expect outside of Utah or Idaho.

Having moved to SLC from so. CA (and many other places), I came upon the mormon religion. It was not attractive to me as I already had my "religious" foundations in place. I had a few friends of the persuasion, worked for and with a few, had a few work for me. Folks are folks - but I still found myself compelled to speak against their faction.
Recently, I moved back to OH where, surprisingly, I came upon the Mormons again - but it was different, not being in the "power" area of Utah - and after so many years, was invited to and attended many of their services for a few months. It was hard getting used to their different hymns and their, for the most part, woefully boring services but I re-learned what I had already known for much of my life, i.e., there are Christians everywhere and in every church (of the christian variety) - and there are non-christians in all of them, too.
No, I don't agree with their extra books and translation of the King James - but the King James is used in many denominations and even without the Mormons' own translation is spottily inaccurate. They (the Mormons) have a different way of doing things - but there are some fantastic, wonderful people who have been born, raised and even converted into "Mormonism".
I would liken moving to a heavily populated Mormon area to a protestant (especially Baptist) moving into a largely Catholic area or vice-versa - it's just different.
Having one church set the tone for a region is different than having fifty churches set the tone ... but still, folks are folks - and that's how to deal with anybody.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,523,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzichic View Post
I almost took you seriously until I reread it and saw the tongue and cheek bit.
Ah, you were paying attention. Most people don't; they only hear what they want to hear, or the delivery of inaccurate information is presented in a sophisticated manner such that it appears to be fact.

Quote:
I sure hope I do understand the point you are making.
You do.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:15 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
My favorite recent event -- I work in a tower overlooking Temple Square in Salt Lake. Some of the offices are getting shuffled around after a remodel. One lady told everyone in the room in no uncertain terms – “my new office better not have a view of that temple!”

I have no idea of her history, but I think an LDS person could take offense at that should he/she choose.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,405 times
The majority of Active LDS males know what it's like to be LDS on the "outside." I spent a few years in NY aka Catholic / Jewish central. I loved it! The born agains were relentless though. They would follow us and yell crap or get their lame-o kids to give us Bloddy Jesus tracts in Wal-Mart. We would always ask them to explain their beliefs, but they treated us as if we didn't even deserve to hear their beliefs. I had a reaccuring sense that they leaned heavily on their pastor for their "spiritual" knowledge.

I work in the Pharma industry where we are all different religions. It's so refreshing! Some of my best friends are Baptist Ministers, JW's, and Muslim. People just need to relax and stop getting so offended over frivolous things on both sides.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:05 AM

16 posts, read 110,341 times
I am not LDS but have a high level of respect for them. In my view all releigions can be viewed as cults. It comes down to your faith. My neighbors in CA have allways been my best neighbors. There children have allways been respectful of our neighborhood and my property. I wont even begin compareing and contrasting between the non LDS population. I think many people hate Mormons because they are usually "white", conservative, and dont need your money. They are able to resist many attempts to destroy there culture which only angers those who try. I realize I am painting with a broad brush but for the whole it is true.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:02 PM

129 posts, read 515,388 times
[quote=RockyMtn No, I don't agree with their extra books and translation of the King James - but the King James is used in many denominations and even without the Mormons' own translation is spottily inaccurate[/QUOTE]

While I certainly agree with the tone of your post, the above is not correct. The LDS Church uses the King James Version of the Bible, not their own version.

Old 01-24-2007, 05:50 PM

378 posts, read 1,905,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlasaLost View Post
While I certainly agree with the tone of your post, the above is not correct. The LDS Church uses the King James Version of the Bible, not their own version.

As far as it is translated correctly. I believe he may be refering to JST sections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah