Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:37 AM

421 posts, read 1,740,514 times

Advertisements

Just do whatever you're currently doing for your dog. Keep her leashed/fenced (there are leash laws here, like most places), bring her inside when the weather gets extremely cold (although she sounds like a breed that can handle some cold, and coming from AK, I'm sure you know how to keep her safe), keep up with her vet care, take her for walks and exercise, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,036 times
Smile Orem, Utah move

Hi there! I'm a Utah Native, but have lived in Colorado, Kansas and Missouri. I returned to Salt Lake City in 2002. I read your blog about moving to Orem, and a couple of the responses posted, and would like to provide more information. You sound like a very nice person!

Do you want the truth about Orem? It's beautiful if you live up against the mountains, but it's extremely crowded, traffc around town is crazy, homes are overpriced, and it's 98% LDS. I'm not sure if you are LDS, but if you are not, they will come by your house, call you, drive you crazy trying to convert you! I know this from first hand experience.

If you would like a more private, peaceful oasis, you would be better off in Payson or Spanish Fork. These are both small towns, within 15 minutes of Orem, a little more rural, with more of the types of shops and people who may interest you. Real estate is incredibly affordable, and they both have beautiful views of the mountains!

I hope you have a successful move!

Old 03-08-2007, 03:35 PM

7 posts, read 16,374 times
Thanks again. One more Question. It is hard to search for appartments that will allow Dogs, That are nice and secure. The last date dear hubby gave me on our move will be the end of June. I would like to find one in the areas that have been mentioned. I believe he will be working closer to Lindon. But since he will be doing alot of traveling I don't think that the distance is that big of a factor. Just not a 50 mile or 2 hour trip if you know what I mean.n I know that I would like to rent first befor buying so I can learn the areas and get a feel for everything. It is easier to look around first and really get to know all the areas befor commiting (sp) I know I would like to have a little bit of land if at all possible.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,424,316 times
Orem is a nice city.

Old 03-22-2007, 03:54 PM

10 posts, read 23,916 times
Well concerning your dog. the only think that I would suggest is to have him groomed(hair cut) before summer hits because dogs like yours tend to get overheated in the hot dry summers. on the renting issue I can't help you much but for land you may have to move toward the south end of the valley(springville, spanish fork). I live in american fork and have 1/4 acre but my house was built in the '40's when that was a small lot. most new houses are built on 1/10 acre lots in the area, which is sad .

Old 04-21-2007, 06:27 PM

25,680 posts, read 18,770,132 times
I don't want to sound pessimistic, but since you're moving here, I'm sure you'll appreciate any info you can get.

I have lived in the Provo/Orem area since around 1974 (with the exception of an extended period of travel and a brief move to Phoenix, AZ).

This area has been growing rapidly for quite some time now. As has been mentioned, traffic is a problem--in fact, I would call it atrocious. The highway system is just not keeping up with the growth at all. This valley will soon be completely urbanized--it's pretty much there right now. The rapid growth really reminds me of the Bay Area of California in the 70's (from which my family fled when I was a child). Housing prices and cost of living here have really soared.

Having said all of that, it's not all bad, bad, bad. It's a nice area. The geography of the area is wonderful--mountains, deserts, lakes, rivers, etc. We generally get four distinct seasons.
Socially, the natives are friendly enough (there is the strong LDS influence, but that's easy enough to ignore). Also, it's easy to get out of the urban sprawl of Utah Valley--it's surrounded by rural areas. Crime isn't bad considering the ballooning population. The average temps are a bit deceptive. We tend to have "spikes" in temps. It's generally not all that bad during the winter overall, but it can be below 0. It's usually in the mid 90's in the hottest part of summer (Jul, Aug), but can be over 100 for extended periods.

For my preferred living situation, the area is getting close to the point that I'm no longer interested in staying here. It's not so much that I want to live alone on the prairie or anything, but I do prefer a more laid-back atmosphere. As I said, the area is really beginning to remind me of metro California. It's not quite there yet, but give it a few years. I've noticed that some of you are considering moving here from the Midwest. I have actually been considering doing just the opposite--moving into the Midwest to a city of perhaps 20000-50000 people. Seems about right for me.

So for a last word: The Provo/Orem area of Utah is a mixed bag. It's certainly having growing pains. If you're into the big city lifestyle, you'll be happy with the area as it grows; if not (like me), you'll become less and less enamored with the area. And... at some point, you will have had enough and move to a less crowded area.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,675 times
Default Hello!

Hi! I also live in Orem. It is a great place to live, but im sure you have already heard, traffic. Its not like california horrible but it is quite big. Anyway, we have a large lake (Utah Lake) about ummm i dont know five minutes away max, but usually people dont go in it because it is full of fish....i like it though! If you area crafty person, Orem is the place for you! They have all kinds of clubs and meetings that you can join and do everything you want! Orem is a growing city, keep that in mind. Usually the more laid back houses part of town are the more north east housing. (usually NE corner sorta by lindon) Anyway, its a great place, and hope you feel good about moving here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah