Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,503,034 times

Advertisements

200 every 6 month?? Are you sure? I'm paying NC auto ins. and ours is about $700 every 6 months. Do you have tickets (moving violations) or a car which drives up the rate (some cars do)? Or a teen driving your car? Those are factors too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
Just paid mine... for two ooooold cars, and one new car, $720 for 6 months.

When we lived in MD and had one new-ish car, it was like $200 a month.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Weird. We lived in MD at one point as well, and it was a lot more than that--it was around $2000/year. If it's somewhere in the $1000-$1200 range in UT it will be pretty much the same for us as here. The only place it has been WAY more is MA. MA auto is a complete disaster and most auto insurance companies will not operate in MA (hence the way higher than anywhere else I've lived rates!)

edit: Oh sorry, I see you're saying $200/month in MD--that sounds more like it. I thought you were saying $200 every 6 months!!

Old 09-10-2008, 06:31 PM

702 posts, read 1,983,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
200 every 6 month?? Are you sure? I'm paying NC auto ins. and ours is about $700 every 6 months. Do you have tickets (moving violations) or a car which drives up the rate (some cars do)? Or a teen driving your car? Those are factors too...
Um yeah I pay the bill so I defintely know what it says..my driving record is spotless and no teens and no the car makes no bearing on my age

Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 AM

515 posts, read 2,323,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
What are some suggestions to improve the tone that permeates the forum?
It's not gonna be easy! People who have been on this forum for while get tired of the "how can I avoid Mormons" questions, but given that this forum is for people who know little or nothing about the area, this question, in one form or another, will continue to come up... and will continue to irritate people.

The reason is, most people in the US think SLC and Utah is Mormon central, and they worry if they would fit in or be shunned or whatever. In the majority of cases, I don't think it's about bigotry - it's about wanting to find out if this is a suitable area for them to live in.

My first thread here was something to the effect of will I fit in/ be happy/ be able to meet "like minded" people here, etc. I was happy to hear from people that SLC is much more diverse than it used to be, and that the culture would not prevent me from being happy here, and now that I'm here, this turned out to be correct info. I have nothing against Mormons, and I have found religion to be a non-issue so far. However, if the population was 80% Mormon, as a non-religious person, I don't think I'd be very happy here.

Maybe the best answer is for people who are sick of hearing this question to either leave the forum, or just avoid opening these kind of threads. Just accept it everyone - these questions are here to stay. And if you think about it, it's not an unreasonable question for a potential newcomer to ask..

Old 09-11-2008, 05:42 AM

Ok if u lived in Maryland..what part did u live in??? Various parts vary and I paid 200 EVERY 6 MONTHS..NOT EVERY MONTH!!!!! Baltimore City is very expensive to insure....like I said my insurance TRIPLED..with no points, infractions, dwi's or anything that can make it rise that much..

Old 09-11-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Ok if u lived in Maryland..what part did u live in??? Various parts vary and I paid 200 EVERY 6 MONTHS..NOT EVERY MONTH!!!!! Baltimore City is very expensive to insure....like I said my insurance TRIPLED..with no points, infractions, dwi's or anything that can make it rise that much..
Baltimore. Roland Park actually.

Wow, $400/year is cheap!! I've never lived anywhere with rates like that so being around $1,000 here or there or wherever is normal to me.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 AM

yeah well u lived in Baltimore so yes your insurance probably is cheaper here..i lived in Western Maryland..much cheaper..how long did u live there?

Old 09-11-2008, 08:53 AM

About 5 years. I loved it.

Although I have lived out West too and loved it there as well. I am not yet in UT and weekly go back and forth between Boulder and SLC (!). The decision needs to be made shortly!

Sounds like you want to go back?!

Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 AM

401 posts, read 855,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
What are some suggestions to improve the tone that permeates the forum?
I agree with cinnabon. People are inquisitive and want to hear the truth, not some sugar-coated answer. However, we do not intentionally want to anger others by asking these questions. We just want to hear the truth and NOT offend anyone in the process. That's all. We apologize if this does offend others - not the intent of our questions.
I for one would love to move my family to UT. However, my wife and I are very concerned (worried) that our children (and quite possibly ourselves)will be ostracized by others who are not willing to practice what the preach/learn. We are born and raised Catholic and would NEVER shun another child or adult because their religion is different from ours.
We were taught that we are all God's children (NO MATTER WHAT) and to help one another as best we can. I would help ANYONE get a job, help with a computer problem, etc. and not first ask what religion are you, what ward are you with, nor any other personal questions that cause friction. That is definitely not a good way to try and start a friendship.
Again, I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings or anger them.

PEACE TO ALL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah