Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 11:45 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,449,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFrench View Post
I am doing all that I can for now w/out selling/buying house - not a good time to do either, especially when moving a far distance. And FL house market stinks really bad right now!! I would be taking too great of a finalcial loss on our house right now and worse later. Not good to take chances when little ones are involved. Also, I am a worry wart!!
I will have to agree that things happen for a reason. When the time is right and if it's meant for your family to be in Utah, you will eventually get to Utah. It is a wonderful place to raise children, contrary to some things you might read on here. It is very family oriented. I got married last year and needed to move to Oklahoma to be with my new husband and I didn't think my house would sell in Utah but it did right before the market went sour. I know I was suppose to be in Oklahoma at this time in my life and so it happened and all went well. I personally wouldn't try to sell the house and take a big loss. There will always be good deals on homes when you are ready to buy. Good luck with it. Maybe your family will get there when we move back...then the state will be better because of us lol

Old 09-30-2008, 10:04 AM

401 posts, read 853,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I will have to agree that things happen for a reason. When the time is right and if it's meant for your family to be in Utah, you will eventually get to Utah. It is a wonderful place to raise children, contrary to some things you might read on here. It is very family oriented. I got married last year and needed to move to Oklahoma to be with my new husband and I didn't think my house would sell in Utah but it did right before the market went sour. I know I was suppose to be in Oklahoma at this time in my life and so it happened and all went well. I personally wouldn't try to sell the house and take a big loss. There will always be good deals on homes when you are ready to buy. Good luck with it. Maybe your family will get there when we move back...then the state will be better because of us lol
When do you plan on going back?
The more good people UT has, the better.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 AM

11 posts, read 30,607 times
Default moving to utah from florida

Hi Lafrench,
I have lived in Utah from florida for 20 yrs now, I moved from outside of Jacksonville, The people here all are kind, honest and moral, I am so pleased with that aspect, but you have to be aware the LDS are very uneducated in thier ablility to accept and understand the real world, they can reek havock on your school age children, they are taught that there is no other acceptable religion, they watch each other, if your neighbor is LDS and likes you and you invite them to sit on your porch and have a glass of juice while you have a glass of wine they will opt out for fear thier LDS neighbor will see them and assume they are drinking wine also. I have been hurt and humiliated more than once because I asked a friend to come over or have dinner with me, I have been hushed at restraunts because I may say the word damn while I was with an LDS member, because they were scared another member may see them with me.
This all sounds scary and it is, but I wonder if we ever find it all anywhere.
The home prices have gone sky high and you will never own a large 3 to 5 acre lot unless you commute 70 to 80 miles or you make more than 120.000 a year. I will still say the morality in this state is 2nd to none, and you can count on almost always in most cases unless you are working in a small all LDS private business on being protected from disrimination.
Do not ever let anyone tell you it is not so different from other places, it is! you may think you are a solitary family and do your own thing, think again, it will affect you no matter what.
I love this area and for the most part have stayed alone with my family here, I have never been able to connect with an LDS community, I am funny and out going I am educated and work in a hospital triaging patients for a urology group, my point is this is not me that has stayed alone because I wanted to.
I have wonderful LDS friends that have an education and have been out of state long enough to understand differences in other communities, and are open and able to stand on their own when they are in their work place or neighborhood, however they are far a few in between.
Make sure you really no what you are doing before you make a move, it will be very hard to really completely understand the ramifications you will
encounter.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:33 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,945,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TARINA JOHNSON View Post
Hi Lafrench,
I have lived in Utah from florida for 20 yrs now, I moved from outside of Jacksonville, The people here all are kind, honest and moral, I am so pleased with that aspect, but you have to be aware the LDS are very uneducated in thier ablility to accept and understand the real world, they can reek havock on your school age children, they are taught that there is no other acceptable religion, they watch each other, if your neighbor is LDS and likes you and you invite them to sit on your porch and have a glass of juice while you have a glass of wine they will opt out for fear thier LDS neighbor will see them and assume they are drinking wine also. I have been hurt and humiliated more than once because I asked a friend to come over or have dinner with me, I have been hushed at restraunts because I may say the word damn while I was with an LDS member, because they were scared another member may see them with me.
The home prices have gone sky high and you will never own a large 3 to 5 acre lot unless you commute 70 to 80 miles or you make more than 120.000 a year. I will still say the morality in this state is 2nd to none, and you can count on almost always in most cases unless you are working in a small all LDS private business on being protected from disrimination.
Do not ever let anyone tell you it is not so different from other places, it is! you may think you are a solitary family and do your own thing, think again, it will affect you no matter what.
I love this area and for the most part have stayed alone with my family here, I have never been able to connect with an LDS community, I am funny and out going I am educated and work in a hospital triaging patients for a urology group, my point is this is not me that has stayed alone because I wanted to.
I have wonderful LDS friends that have an education and have been out of state long enough to understand differences in other communities, and are open and able to stand on their own when they are in their work place or neighborhood, however they are far a few in between.
Make sure you really no what you are doing before you make a move, it will be very hard to really completely understand the ramifications you will
encounter.
I have to say that your post sounds awfully judgemental in its own right. I believe that most people here are the "live and let live" type of people. That doesn't mean ALL people are like that...just like your interactions with the LDS doesn't mean that ALL LDS are like that.

As far as saying the word *amn at a restaurant while with an LDS member...well, you know you have every right to say it...just as they have every right to be offended by it. I am not LDS, and I do swear sometimes, but NEVER around my children. I would never around others children, so yes, I am offended when I hear it out when my kids are with me. Depending on the word(s) I hear, sometimes I am even offended when my kids are not with me.
You can say for certain they were afraid another member would see them? Sounds like the problem is with the friend you were with..not LDS themselves.
Generalizing one category of people by one persons actions is called bigotry.

Every place in this country is different than others. That is what makes the world go round. How boring life would be if all the states had the same people, the same scenery, the same everything. I have lived in 9 states and 2 different countries in my life. Guess what? None of them were the same as the last I had lived in.

LAFrench does need to be aware of what he is getting into before he moves. Just as one should before they move anywhere. There is no way of knowing how his family will do here. If Utah is where he really wants to be, then I think he would be just fine.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:52 AM

401 posts, read 853,283 times
Quote:
Hi Lafrench,
encounter.
Thanks for the information. I have moved to FL from LA (Louisiana) and cannot wait to move somewhere with a true four seasons and lower humidity and no hurricanes. I noticed that people were different here than I was use to back home. Back home was more Catholic than in FL (at least in my eyes). Everywhere you go is different.

I checked out your zip and you live somewhere near Ogden? The smaller the town, the larger the LDS influence you may experience. I think that UT mormans are slowly coming into today's times and/or views. Just takes time.... at least in my eyes.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:54 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,484,228 times
I am not concerned with this aspect at all, although I am only looking at areas with more religious diversity than the suburbs (looking at Emigration Canyon, Park City, Sugar House, Avenues).

However, I have lived all over the U.S. and I will say that I do believe that UT is completely different. The other places I've lived (both coasts, many states) people were more or less the same. I have friends in SLC who also have lived all over and they tell me it is very different. To almost approach it like it's a foreign country, take interest in it that way. I've picked up literature/papers around town and the church is everywhere, in every political decsision being made. This is not like the rest of the US. Having so many of one religion (and having them practice it and try to convert others) is not like the rest of the US. I'm not saying this as an insult. I don't think I'd have a problem with it. But I do think it would be a mistake thinking it's more or less like everywhere else.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:40 PM

550 posts, read 2,161,740 times
Quote:
... they can reek havock on your school age children, they are taught that there is no other acceptable religion...
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

Absolutely not. No. That is not true. I do not know how much I can stress this, but no. What you said is simply untrue. They did not torment me for not being LDS, and they sure as hell aren't taught that there is no other acceptable religion.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
When do you plan on going back?
The more good people UT has, the better.

The date is March 2012 when we will be moving to St. George. My husband will retire then and we are outta here!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
. Back home was more Catholic than in FL (at least in my eyes). Everywhere you go is different.

I checked out your zip and you live somewhere near Ogden? The smaller the town, the larger the LDS influence you may experience. I think that UT mormans are slowly coming into today's times and/or views. Just takes time.... at least in my eyes.
It's different everywhere. We are surrounded by baptists....do I feel left out?..sometimes.... as being LDS here, we are in the minority. I actually think it is more religious here then in Utah because everybody has a church and they go. It was an adjustment for me just as it will be for you if you move to Utah. I think you will be just fine. I will say that there are areas that are more "clicky"...I don't know how else to put it. That would be Utah County...way south of Salt Lake (Provo, Orem,) I hated going to that area and I'm LDS!..of course that was after my divorce when I was single for a few years and it is hard to fit in around married folks.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,227,614 times
I spent my entire life growing up an "AIR FORCE BRAT". My father was a career man, and we lived all over the world and in many different states. The one thing he always taught us 5 kids, was "we are guests in their country" and that we were to respect their ways and practices, when we were oversees. That meant enrollment in public schools where possible, and we never lived on base.

Yes, Utah is a very different state, it has silly laws and practices, it tries very hard to legislate morality, there's censorship on the news and in the papers, and these are just a few of the quirks about Utah.

But, if you can take the approach that these are the ways things are done here, and try to adjust to them that way, it makes things easier I think. I know that I have to often remind myself of that. For me, I think I spend more time being frustrated here, than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah