Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 02:08 PM

401 posts, read 855,413 times

Advertisements

Does Sandy have newer homes too?
It would definitely have to be a newer home for when I either convince my wife or drive her nuts!! I will not give up. If I can land a job there, I will move first and get situated. I know the boys and I would be in hogs heaven with all of the outdoor activities.
Good to hear from you. Hope all is going well.

Take care,

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen38 View Post
We bought in Sandy - off of Wasatch. Great mountain views and valley views. Yes, unfortunately you are looking over $400K for those areas higher up the mountain. However most places you live even in the valley you will get good mountain views.
I tell people it's like the water on the east coast. The closer you are to the water the higher the price. Same here, the higher up the mountain the more expensive the homes. Your looking at $550K minimum for a home without upgrades and not a whole bunch of yard all they way to $5 mil.
We sacrificed newness and upgrades in our price range for the views - and cleaner air.
Square footage won't be the problem out here. All the homes are large compared to what you get for your money on the East coast. Don't forget, you have basements here as opposed to Florida. (We've lived in Tampa) Most homes have 3 car garages too so storage is definitely not an issue. It's really just the upgrades but if you know you're going to stay for a long time, buy an older home and upgrade it in time. If we had the time, I would have bought a total fixer upper and made it to my liking. I really love our home but there are a few things I would change if I knew we would be here for a long time. Right now isn't the time to be dumping money into upgrades.

Well, store all this info - hopefully some day you will be able to move.
Take care.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:25 PM

104 posts, read 310,745 times
Not so much. Sandy is kind of an older area. If you want new in Sandy, you are looking at over $1.0mil. There's really not any land left to build on. People in our neighborhood are buying older homes, ripping them down and building new. If you can find a lot, it selling at about $500K. It's crazy. Land is expensive here. In PA we had over an acre, here we have a 1/2 acre.

If you want new, then you are looking at Draper, Riverton and South Jordan I think. If you are in a neighborhood in Florida you probably don't have a lot of land either, right? If it's anything like where we lived in Tampa (Van Dyke Farms - off of Dale Mabry) you will find the neighborhoods in Riverton and South Jordan very similar.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:37 PM

WOW!! I know we could not afford that.
We we most probably have to look into Draper or Layton with the newer homes. We (or at least I) would not want a lot of land to take care of.
You would be correct - out lot is not too terribly large (thank goodness).
Good to know about South Jordan. May have to look into that area, as well as Draper and Layton.

How do ya'll like Sandy? Are the people friendly towards other religions other than LDS?

Quote:
Not so much. Sandy is kind of an older area. If you want new in Sandy, you are looking at over $1.0mil. There's really not any land left to build on. People in our neighborhood are buying older homes, ripping them down and building new. If you can find a lot, it selling at about $500K. It's crazy. Land is expensive here. In PA we had over an acre, here we have a 1/2 acre.

If you want new, then you are looking at Draper, Riverton and South Jordan I think. If you are in a neighborhood in Florida you probably don't have a lot of land either, right? If it's anything like where we lived in Tampa (Van Dyke Farms - off of Dale Mabry) you will find the neighborhoods in Riverton and South Jordan very similar.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:53 AM

104 posts, read 310,745 times
Yes, the people in Sandy are nice. Honestly anywhere you live on the East bench from Draper to Salt Lake City you are not going to have a problem nor I imagine South Jordan to Salt Lake on the West. It's not like you cross a big border and you're like, "whoa, now I'm in Draper". It kind of all meshes together. They are all really small areas. It's not like Tampa. You can do everything in Tampa and not really have to leave on a daily basis. Here, I am constantly in all of the surrounding towns to do my daily errands. It takes me 2 minutes to get to Draper, 5 minutes to South Jordan (if I don't hit lights on 106th ), 15 min to Murray, 10 to Cottonwood Heights, 25 to Salt Lake City. See what I'm saying? It's different. Everything is so close. That's one of the first things I noticed when I moved here is that I drive so much less! It used to take me 20 minutes to get anywhere in PA. Here, sports, school, activities, grocery are all in about 5-10 minute drive. It's so much better than the East coast as far as getting around. No traffic!! I love that. Although all the streets around here are 30 miles per hour. Coming from the East coast when you travel route 1 or highways all the time it's really hard to go 30 miles per hour every time you get in the car. I've been pulled over 7 times in 8 months. Thankfully I have only received one ticket. I don't go fast but I'm pushing 40 a lot of the time. I constantly find myself looking down at my speedometer and going, "Oh crap! Got to slow down." Oh, the other thing is that if you decided to live higher up the mountain you will go through brakes faster. My car has 12K miles and I had to replace the front brakes already. Because of the speed limit and you are constantly going down hill you ride your brakes a lot.

So anyway, back to your original question, If you stay in Salt Lake County the Mormon Non-Mormon issue is not an issue. I was just talking to my son the other day and we realized the majority of our closest friends out here are Mormon. Don't read the posts that say kids are isolated are treated poorly, it's just not so in this area. I imagine it would be like anything else that is slightly different. If you lived next to a large Greek or Italian family (I come from a large Italian family) they are going to do things slightly different than your family might but they are not excluding you or not wanting to be friends with you. Think of the Mormons like that. They are a really big family that does a lot of things together often but they have friends outside of their family and sometimes people in their own family annoy them - just like the rest of us. Besides, it's a lot of pressure to be that good all of the time. They need friends like us to make them feel like they are still doing a good job at being a good Christian! Have no fear. It is a great place to live.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Quote:
.... I come from a large Italian family...
Hey, me too!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Hearing this makes me want to move there even more.
I think my wife would like the fact that you would have less driving.
If I could just convince her that not all Mormans are bad. There is good and bad in every religion, race, creed, location, etc.
Maybe I need to get my wife to talk to someone like you. Then again, I know I will wind up in the doghouse, but I will never give up on getting my familt out there.
As always, thank you for you open and honest answers.
It is a pleasure to speak with you.

Thank you,

Ron

Quote:
Yes, the people in Sandy are nice. Honestly anywhere you live on the East bench from Draper to Salt Lake City you are not going to have a problem nor I imagine South Jordan to Salt Lake on the West. It's not like you cross a big border and you're like, "whoa, now I'm in Draper". It kind of all meshes together. They are all really small areas. It's not like Tampa. You can do everything in Tampa and not really have to leave on a daily basis. Here, I am constantly in all of the surrounding towns to do my daily errands. It takes me 2 minutes to get to Draper, 5 minutes to South Jordan (if I don't hit lights on 106th ), 15 min to Murray, 10 to Cottonwood Heights, 25 to Salt Lake City. See what I'm saying? It's different. Everything is so close. That's one of the first things I noticed when I moved here is that I drive so much less! It used to take me 20 minutes to get anywhere in PA. Here, sports, school, activities, grocery are all in about 5-10 minute drive. It's so much better than the East coast as far as getting around. No traffic!! I love that. Although all the streets around here are 30 miles per hour. Coming from the East coast when you travel route 1 or highways all the time it's really hard to go 30 miles per hour every time you get in the car. I've been pulled over 7 times in 8 months. Thankfully I have only received one ticket. I don't go fast but I'm pushing 40 a lot of the time. I constantly find myself looking down at my speedometer and going, "Oh crap! Got to slow down." Oh, the other thing is that if you decided to live higher up the mountain you will go through brakes faster. My car has 12K miles and I had to replace the front brakes already. Because of the speed limit and you are constantly going down hill you ride your brakes a lot.

So anyway, back to your original question, If you stay in Salt Lake County the Mormon Non-Mormon issue is not an issue. I was just talking to my son the other day and we realized the majority of our closest friends out here are Mormon. Don't read the posts that say kids are isolated are treated poorly, it's just not so in this area. I imagine it would be like anything else that is slightly different. If you lived next to a large Greek or Italian family (I come from a large Italian family) they are going to do things slightly different than your family might but they are not excluding you or not wanting to be friends with you. Think of the Mormons like that. They are a really big family that does a lot of things together often but they have friends outside of their family and sometimes people in their own family annoy them - just like the rest of us. Besides, it's a lot of pressure to be that good all of the time. They need friends like us to make them feel like they are still doing a good job at being a good Christian! Have no fear. It is a great place to live.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:53 AM

18 posts, read 29,809 times
My wife and I also live in Florida and are making plans to also move to Utah. Like you there is the matter of finding jobs and of course selling our home. We recently visited family there and really enjoyed it. Having lived in Florida my whole life I realize there are other places to go to and ones that offer a variety in seasons and such. This past weekend the sun was very "sharp" and it was humid and warm. I can do without this.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:41 PM

I do not wish to live in the south anymore. I have had enough of heat, humidity, and hurricanes. We are originally from Metairie, LA and have been in the Tampa area since Oct. 2006.

What part of FL are you in?
Also, what made you choose UT too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARIETEES View Post
My wife and I also live in Florida and are making plans to also move to Utah. Like you there is the matter of finding jobs and of course selling our home. We recently visited family there and really enjoyed it. Having lived in Florida my whole life I realize there are other places to go to and ones that offer a variety in seasons and such. This past weekend the sun was very "sharp" and it was humid and warm. I can do without this.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:00 AM

18 posts, read 29,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFrench View Post
I do not wish to live in the south anymore. I have had enough of heat, humidity, and hurricanes. We are originally from Metairie, LA and have been in the Tampa area since Oct. 2006.

What part of FL are you in?
Also, what made you choose UT too?
Born and raised in Miami, got married and moved to Tampa for 15 years and now living in Orlando for 6 years.

As for Utah, my wife's family from Salt Lake City, Utah paid a visit here a couple months back and told us how nice Utah is. We had planned on going to North Carolina last month to check it out, but then decided to visit her family in Utah (at their request) and since we had never been out west we thought "why not?". We really enjoyed the great weather (and snow still on the monutains!) and the laid back, family frindly atmosphere. It was quite different from Florida and myself being fair skinned and easy to burn, it was nice to enjoy the outdoors without the concern of this happening. The grass and tulips (tulips EVERYWHERE!) were beautiful, bright and cheerful, with the grass is like that in New York, not like here in Florida. Now the challenge is working on a transition from here to there, with trying to find jobs there and selling a house here.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 AM

53 posts, read 133,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARIETEES View Post
Born and raised in Miami, got married and moved to Tampa for 15 years and now living in Orlando for 6 years.

As for Utah, my wife's family from Salt Lake City, Utah paid a visit here a couple months back and told us how nice Utah is. We had planned on going to North Carolina last month to check it out, but then decided to visit her family in Utah (at their request) and since we had never been out west we thought "why not?". We really enjoyed the great weather (and snow still on the monutains!) and the laid back, family frindly atmosphere. It was quite different from Florida and myself being fair skinned and easy to burn, it was nice to enjoy the outdoors without the concern of this happening. The grass and tulips (tulips EVERYWHERE!) were beautiful, bright and cheerful, with the grass is like that in New York, not like here in Florida. Now the challenge is working on a transition from here to there, with trying to find jobs there and selling a house here.
That's the hardest part. Trying to find jobs, and getting everything lined up for the move. It's a big step. I can't wait to move to Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah