Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 AM

55 posts, read 202,077 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some relocating research and have found that there are some openings in my field in both Provo and north of Salt Lake City. I'm very unfamiliar with these regions, having only spent time in Colorado. My family is from the southeast.

What is it like, in your words/opinions, to live in either of these areas. I suppose if we had to narrow it down, I'd like to know more about schools/amenities for children/outdoor activities/proximity to parks, what is there to do in the winter, are people welcoming, etc etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 07:51 AM

702 posts, read 1,980,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsafloater View Post
I've been doing some relocating research and have found that there are some openings in my field in both Provo and north of Salt Lake City. I'm very unfamiliar with these regions, having only spent time in Colorado. My family is from the southeast.

What is it like, in your words/opinions, to live in either of these areas. I suppose if we had to narrow it down, I'd like to know more about schools/amenities for children/outdoor activities/proximity to parks, what is there to do in the winter, are people welcoming, etc etc.

Thanks!
they have year round school here..not all places but they do have it. You will be in culture shock when you come here. I am from the East Coast. There are tons of stuff for people to do. Children are welcome anywhere and everywhere. The traffic sucks badly. I know where I live the majority of places close at 9 and don't open until 12 on sundays. I can't mention the winter becaues I haven't lived thru one yet and as for people being welcoming...some are some aren't, it just depends.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,132,930 times
Utah is extremely family/children friendly and there's certainly no shortage of things to do with kids. As for schools all I can say is I've heard that the Murray and Logan school districts are the best in Utah. Not everyone who moves here is in total culture shock, depends where you're coming from. I moved here from Alberta and there was some culture shock but it really had to do mostly with the two different countries. But Utah does seem to have its own culture. In the winter, Utah is paradise if you're into skiing. In the summer there is no shortage of outdoor activities. The mountains are gorgeous. Also if you're into shooting or four wheeling there's a lot of cool places to go out west. Southern Utah is great for little getaways. The red rock canyons are amazing.
And like NTU said some people are welcoming some are not. I think a lot depends on how outgoing you are because I've noticed that many people are very nice but kinda closed so that they need some prodding to open a bit if that makes sense.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:25 AM

273 posts, read 1,244,999 times
It's hot. Then it's cold. It's a lot like Colorado but the mountains are on the other side. The beer is bad, when you can find it. If you live anywhere outside metro Salt Lake you will find most businesses closed on Sunday. If you are not LDS, you will be VERY much in the minority in Provo. The folks in Utah are generally friendly but like anywhere, it is going to be hit or miss just how friendly they will be towards you or your family. The community I live in has a lot of sincerely friendly folks and we get along with everyone, LDS and non alike. We have not had any bad run-ins in the two years we have been here. I would say we actually have more friends here than we made in 10 years in Colorado.

Schools are crowded as Utah is the most prolific procreating state in the nation. The Jordan District in Salt Lake County is the only district I know that has year round school, and it is only in some of the elementary schools. They are the least funded schools per capita in the nation. But they have some of the best standardized test scores in the nation. I guess they just do more with less. Also, the heavy emphasis on family and good behavior I am sure helps.

You will not be at a loss for outdoor activities, any time of the year. And there are a lot of indoor things too, museums, theaters, kids museums, etc.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:34 PM

421 posts, read 1,736,396 times
That sounds like a pretty fair assessment, dp525. It's got good and bad, like everywhere else.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:51 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,121,832 times
Quote:
You will be in culture shock when you come here. I am from the East Coast
I'm from the E coast too... no culture shock for me (I had it going to the SE from NY!)... I find alot of the Valley reminds me (in appearance and how it is laid out) of Long Island.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:57 PM

702 posts, read 1,980,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I'm from the E coast too... no culture shock for me (I had it going to the SE from NY!)... I find alot of the Valley reminds me (in appearance and how it is laid out) of Long Island.
Im from Maryland and trust me I am in complete culture shock, like the alcohol content, things closing at 9, certain rules of certain things..and the BAD DRIVING

Old 08-13-2008, 07:39 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,460,168 times
Stay away from Utah county.....which would be pretty much anything south of the point of the mountain. Something happens after you cross that line. People are in their own little world there. My son liked it but then he was at BYU where all the kids were.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:52 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,228,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Stay away from Utah county.....which would be pretty much anything south of the point of the mountain. Something happens after you cross that line. People are in their own little world there. My son liked it but then he was at BYU where all the kids were.
hey....I live in Utah county.....!!! But,yeah it's kinda of a time warp down here. I'm a lot closer to sl county than provo, so I just go there for shopping and dr appts and things.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:49 AM

78 posts, read 290,796 times
Oh don't get me started on the drivers....it's like 90% of them abide by their own traffic laws.....

And yeah...Happy Valley is definitely NOT what the rest of Utah is like.....own little "happy" world....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah