Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2008, 08:57 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,657,508 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any pics? Is the housing expensive? Thinking about relocating from Florida to work at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary next year. Any info. on the area would be so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 AM

24,446 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Do a advanced search (see above) on Kanab or Best Friends scroll to Utah and you may find what your looking for.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 PM

239 posts, read 952,180 times
Try here
Kanab Tourism - Kanab Vacation Reviews - Kanab Vacations - TripAdvisor

Old 08-21-2008, 08:46 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I volunteered vacationed there last year, and am in touch with a number of people who work or worked there. Also, as is my habit (obsession?) I looked at real estate while I was out there.
If I understand, you are planning to work there, be an employee, not a volunteer? Rentals are hard to find. Also, know that, within the Kanab city limits, you are limited to two dogs per household. One person who used to live and work there (now retired to the South) strongly urged me not to go out there to work and buy housing right away- to wait and see how the job and the people mix work out. It would appear that buying house/townhouse is more expensive than you'd think for such a remote area. If you choose not to stay, the main (only?) market for selling property would be incoming people to Best Friends, and you are a long distance from any other potential buyers.
There's Adobe Realty in Kanab. Also River Realty owns/sells/leases? townhouses in Kanab called El Pueblo, some of which might be for rent (likely because they didn't sell).
If I went, I'd leave some sort of nest egg money to leave and relocate if so desired. I think it's easy to go somewhere for a dream, and not be able to afford to leave, especially if it's far from anywhere else you'd go or work.
You might try going to the B.F. website bestfriends.org and registering and asking people on some B.F. forum some questions about living and working there. My guess is there is such a discussion somewhere, as there are a lot of discussion topics.
Best wishes. It's a wonderful organization and a gorgeous part of the country.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,044 times
Kanab also has a Facebook page [mod] can't put links until you have at least 10 posts [/mod] You can search Facebook for Kanab.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-16-2010 at 01:10 PM..

Old 11-05-2010, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 7,554 times
It's been about 3 years since your post, and if you're still checking this spot, did you ever end up working at BF? I've been there as a volunteer, and have seriously thought about working there myself, this is why I ask. Hope all is going well for you!

Old 11-08-2010, 02:34 AM

159 posts, read 558,490 times
You'd be amazed at how many well-meaning, but STUPID people decide to move across the country to Kanab, and once they're settled in, show up at Best Friends saying "Hello, I'm an animal lover that just moved 1200 miles to Kanab so I can get a job here! Let's talk about what openings you have!"

Best Friends, & the real world, don't work that way, but people get all caught-up with what they think is some magical place & just assume they'll get a decent-paying job there, that BF doesn't have the BS/drama that other places do, and they'll live happily ever-after in Kanab.

I'm not saying DON'T apply for a job there, but for every 1 job opening, they probably get well over 100 resumes, including many from people who have already been volunteering in the department the job opening is within.

The Kanab area has a lot of natural beauty, but for being in the middle of nowhere, housing is relatively expensive to rent & very expensive to buy. People selling their big houses & cashing-in their 401Ks to retire to Kanab & volunteer at BF are what keep the prices artificially high.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,554 times
thanks for you insight!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 AM

12 posts, read 59,382 times
Default utahooligan is right

Moderator cut: no consumer complaints allowed Kanab is a small town not much to do here, but the surrounding area is beautiful. Don't quit your job till you have one here to come to, and the 2 week orientation at best friends does not guarentee you employment keep that in mind. I have personally seen at least 10 people in the past 11 months come here with stars in thier eyes just to have thier dreams crushed. Homes are expensive for this area and rent is high, food, fuel, and other amenities are high as well and best friends pays care givers 10 an hour for the 2 weeker and 12 an hour if you are hired, thats it no raises unless you can promote to a lead or into an office job that pays a little more. So good luck and do your home work, don't be the one that didn't and goes away mad .

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-16-2010 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-02-2011, 02:44 PM

286 posts, read 677,873 times
Greed is a sin,but I wish so many people did not know about Kanab..except for maybe a few.
Los Angeles was an outstanding place to move.....now look at it.Oh, I am merely thinking out loud.
My son and I returned to LaJolla after 30 years to see it and......low and behold HOUSES ARE BUILT ALL OVER THOSE PRETTY LITTLE HILLS......shameful.Build homes and sell them but leave what the LORD made.....untouched.
Kanab was perfect and still is.....but the beautiful children, their parents and grandparents
white picket fences,school bells...safety......what will become of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: