Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:19 PM

15 posts, read 76,239 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retirement age...whether we actually retire is still up for grabs. We are planning a move somewhere south of Riverton/Draper area. We're kind of thinking maybe Pleasant Grove. We've heard a lot about the smog conditions in the Utah "valley"...how far does that usually extend? What all is considered Utah valley? We're coming from Rexburg, Idaho (which we LOVE by the way,) but are not snow sports enthusiasts. We don't mind a little snow for a Winter season but we really like gardening and want a longer planting and harvesting season. (In other words, WARMER weather!) I was disappointed to read a post from someone recently about Springville and Mapleton with a strong suggestion to someone to NOT move there. That they are cliquish, not friendly, and fanatical, etc. (We were considering Springville.) But one of my greatest fears is exactly that. We are leaving a place where we LOVE our Ward, love our neighbors, love the city...just don't love the lonnnng winter season that often gets below 0. Any suggestions on warm, friendly cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 03:08 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,656 times
Well, we don't have a long planting season in utah valley, but I think it's longer than Rexburg's, if that's any help. I went to school in Rexburg for a couple of years, and the cold here is NOTHING like Iceburg. It gets cold here, and lately it's been rivalling Rexburg's weather, but that's really unusual. And we don't get the insane wind you get there. So in that way, it will be warmer here for you. The summers are hotter here, too. But if you really want warm weather, without the cold winters, you might consider southern Utah instead. My inlaws (from up your way) loved the year they spent in St George, but they went back to Idaho for the summer, so that might have had something to do with it!

My parents retired to Utah County, from Idaho, and they have liked it very much. But my dad longs for warmer weather and my mom longs for less traffic, so it's always a compromise. I like northern Utah County because there are lots of smaller towns (like Pleasant Grove), but it's still easy to get to SLC for whatever cultural or sporting events you might be interested in.

Forgot to add: yes, Pleasant Grove is a nice area, as are parts of Lehi, American Fork, Lindon, Orem, and Provo. I also like Cedar Hills, Alpine, and Highland, but real estate is pricier in those cities, so it depends what you can afford, and whether you're looking for a retirement community, college-town energy, youthful families, etc.

Last edited by chazcrew; 02-02-2007 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: long-winded

Old 02-02-2007, 09:05 PM

45 posts, read 77,601 times
You know, reading your post compels me to inquire. I don't mean to be a smart-aleck and hope this post does not come across that way.

You love Rexburg, you love your ward, you love your neighbors. As I read it, your motivation for moving to warmer weather is the longer growing and harvesting season. So...why not build a greenhouse in your backyard and stay in the city you love?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:19 AM

A greenhouse...you know, that is an idea. But eventually I'd have to come OUT of the greenhouse and still be hit with the arctic blast. Actually there are other reasons for a move to Utah. My father's family were from Emery, and his ancestors were among the original pioneers in the Heber C. Kimball Co. (My great grandfather was even Mayor of Manti for 5 yrs.) And while we do have genealogy libraries here my husband and I really love the Family History Center in SLC and want to visit frequently...but we don't want to live there. I graduated from BYU (MANY yrs ago,) and loved the time spent there.
And my father returned to Utah, from Washington, to die there. So, I guess it's mostly a family-sort of thing. I know it does sound kind of dumb to leave a place you love, but we're getting older now and want to settle one last time in an area we can be comfortable in as more of the arthritis, etc. kicks in. St. George would be wonderful in the winter but I'm afraid too hot in the summers. (Rexburg always gets lots of Sunbirds from St. George for the summers.) But thanks - I might go with the greenhouse idea anyway for winters in Utah!

Old 02-03-2007, 01:16 PM

What I really need to know is how far does "Utah Valley" and the inversion or smog extend?

Old 02-03-2007, 05:29 PM

45 posts, read 77,601 times
Yes, the family thing does tend to add some weight to the motivation. Never meant to suggest you were making a dumb move or anything...just felt some empathy (sympathy pains) with your posting and wanted to know a bit more. Best of luck with your relo!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnelson View Post
What I really need to know is how far does "Utah Valley" and the inversion or smog extend?
It covers Utah Valley as well. This year has been about as bad as it ever gets, if that's any consolation. Have you thought about a smaller town like Price or Manti? Those are about a 1.5 hour drive from Utah Valley. Or you could go down to Cedar City. You avoid the summer heat, but could drive 50 miles to St. George for warmer weather.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:38 AM

617 posts, read 2,821,461 times
I suggest Saratoga Springs. It is a newer community out by the north side of Utah lake. Nice houses, club house, and a high number of retirees. It is also affordable. My friend's grandparents live out there, and they love it. We used to go out there all the time. It is nice being able to walk down by the lake.

If you want to be closer to the mountains, and canyon, Highland has always been my favorite. It is quiet, close to American Fork Canyon, and not too far of a drive from American Fork, where you will find Wal-mart, a new Cinemark movie theater, and plenty of good resteraunts.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 PM

Thanks, I may look into Saratoga Springs. I was looking up houses (4 BR) around Orem general area for $170,000 and there is NOTHING there. What about Tooele?

Last edited by abnelson; 02-04-2007 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: added 4 BR for clarifying

Old 02-05-2007, 09:25 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,729,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnelson View Post
Thanks, I may look into Saratoga Springs. I was looking up houses (4 BR) around Orem general area for $170,000 and there is NOTHING there. What about Tooele?
Tooele might not be a bad idea. As would places like Tremonten, Brigham City, or Nephi. All those places are somewhat farther from the big city ammenities but have cheaper houses. Less inversion smog there also. I guess it depends how often you would want to go into town. Tooele is actually a quick drive to Salt Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah