U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 02:58 PM

113 posts, read 475,488 times

Advertisements

My husband might be getting transferred to Orem. We are non LDS and while we respect other religions we want to live somewhere where we won't feel left out so to speak! From what I have read here it sounds like Orem is very LDS. That's ok..... if we will be included! So.... can anyone give me some insight? We have two small kids.... not in school yet.... I am a stay at home Mom. Where are the good areas to live in? Other towns??? We are not into country lifestyle, not city really either...somewhere in between! Within a half hour or so commute to Orem too. We need a 4 bedroom house.....how expensive is housing....a general range for a house that is newer- like 10 yrs or less???

Thank you so much!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 03:24 PM

421 posts, read 1,644,200 times
Anywhere in northern Utah county would give you a half-hour commute or less to Orem. The entire county is quite LDS, but you'll find the heaviest concentration in the Provo area (with BYU and the Missionary Training Center there, it's very, very Mormon).

You could try looking for housing in the Salt Lake area, but that will be quite a longer commute, if you go far enough into SLC to get to the more diverse areas. If I were you, I'd stick with something closer to Orem, and just find a house you love in an area that looks nice and family-friendly. There's no escaping Mormon neighbors, but most of us are harmless, really. ;-)

My advice would be to join a playgroup for your kids, or some other activity that will help you meet other moms, because the fact is, most of them will know each other from church, and without seeing you every week in the halls between meetings, or while dropping your kids at scouts, or whatever, they won't get to know you unless you put yourself out there a little. Social life in the area revolves heavily around church functions. Most of my friends I know because we're in church choir together, or we've taught Sunday School together, or we've served on committees together, etc.

Also, if you're religiously inclined, try to get involved with a local congregation of your choice so you will have that social outlet, as well. It's hard for stay-at-home-moms to meet people anyway, and when you don't have the church connection, it's even harder. So reach out! Ask if there are any non-church activities that you could join (they might be run by the Relief Society -- the women's organization -- but they might not be based on religious things) like book club, exercise class, scrapbooking group, etc.

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2007, 11:42 AM

15 posts, read 71,642 times
This isn't so much to answer questions but to reassure you in some way.
I'm the "Lehi to Santaquin..." post and have some of the same questions as we're looking to move somewhere around that area. We're also looking at Orem as a possibility. I am LDS (Mormon) but I'd love to be neighbors! Being "new" we could get lost and get acquainted with the area together:-)

But here's what I wanted to say: Some people are LDS...but ALL LDS are people! (And all Catholics, and all Protestants, etc.) Good, bad, beautiful, ugly, honest, judgemental, friendly and non-friendly. Religion doesn't make us what we are. Although trying to live whatever we believe in can make us better.

So if you run into stuck-up Mormons - they're just stuck-up people. (In fact, don't assume everyone you meet in Utah is Mormon.) If you happened to walk past me I might not say Hi because being new myself I might be a little insecure...but I WOULD smile at you.

Also, as "CHAZCREW" said, as a church we have lots of activities and everyone of any faith (or none) is welcome to come. There is rarely any charge except to cover materials if you're scrapbooking or making something and baby-sitting is often provided at no charge. And there are parenting classes and lots of support for young mothers. If your own church doesn't provide enough initial support when you first move there you could contact one of ours, ask for a Relief Society President's name and phone number and ask what their activities are. (It doesn't mean you have to convert.)

I'm new at this posting thing so if I shouldn't write so much I apologize, but I think a little assurance is as important as physical facts. Good Luck!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Thank you both for your kind replies! I guess I am just being a scardey cat! I know that we will be able to make our home wherever we land! --- we have had a lot of different things tossed at us with my hubby's job lately.... but Orem sounds pretty likely. We do appreciate the Mormon religion and actually value a lot of what it stands for...... and I will take all of that compared to living here in So. Cal....... it's gotten pretty bad here and the youth are terrible. (not all, but a lot!).

Thanks again....any other suggestions on areas??? Can we get a decent house for 175k??

Old 02-03-2007, 07:17 PM

Well, the news isn't good on housing. It has gone up a LOT in the last couple of years (although nothing compared to CA), and it might be hard to find what you want in your price range. I ran a quick search of most of the valley, using these parameters: max price 180K, minimum bedrooms 4, built after 1990. And in the whole valley, I only got two hits! Both in Santaquin, which is quite far south, and both manufactured homes. So for 175K, you might have to compromise quite a bit, going for something older or smaller. Even the traditionally less expensive areas (like Eagle Mountain, which would be a really yucky commute to Orem) didn't have anything. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I did get more hits if I went back to things built after the 70s, and only 3 bedrooms. Check your private messages for the link to the utah home search; if I post it here, the mods will delete it. =)

Old 02-03-2007, 09:01 PM

That's ok---- we were just hoping to be able to not have a mortgage.....but I guess a small mortgage is better than our current mortage! How far do we have to go to get what we want? I would like something that's at least 2000 sq ft!

Old 02-03-2007, 09:58 PM

That depends on what you consider a small mortgage. Did you check the link in the PM I sent? It's a good guide. You can find a newish, 2000+ sq ft, 4-bd house in outlying areas (Eagle Mountain, Spanish Fork) for around 200-225K. For about 250K you can find similar houses in the Orem and Pleasant Grove area, but most are still in smaller, farther-away towns. Not that it's bad to live farther away, it just means a longer commute. I wouldn't recommend Eagle Mountain because of the major traffic jams that occur on the main route to Orem every day, but there are certainly lots of houses out there. Spanish Fork might be a good one for you to consider.

If you go up to 275K, you have lots of good choices, and 300K opens up a whole new level of homes. I think you could feasibly look at 200-225 for what you want. There aren't as many choices, but you can get something decent in a decent area.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 PM

Thank you for that! I think we will be coming out for a visit in the next few weeks..... we will have to take a look around. 300k is possible....if that really opens up our options then we would consider going that high. I will check out that link you provided me! Didnt have a chance earlier!

Thanks again!!

Old 02-04-2007, 04:49 AM

617 posts, read 2,680,304 times
Orem is just as mormon populated as Provo. I lived in Orem for 3 years, and it was fine. As a non-lds, I wouldn't worry. People are pretty cool. If you are living in South Orem, you will be near the College UVSC, and there are a lot of students there.

I am originally from California, and trust me, when you sell your house there, you will DEFINITELY be able to get a house that you want in Utah, and still have money left over. You can get a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house there, with a nice yard, for $200,000, easy.

Just look around, there are plenty of new houses being built, and also already exhisting houses that you might like just as much.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2007, 08:46 AM

1,819 posts, read 7,371,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
Orem is just as mormon populated as Provo. I lived in Orem for 3 years, and it was fine. As a non-lds, I wouldn't worry. People are pretty cool. If you are living in South Orem, you will be near the College UVSC, and there are a lot of students there.

I am originally from California, and trust me, when you sell your house there, you will DEFINITELY be able to get a house that you want in Utah, and still have money left over. You can get a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house there, with a nice yard, for $200,000, easy.

Just look around, there are plenty of new houses being built, and also already exhisting houses that you might like just as much.

Good luck!
Houses have gone up a lot in the last two years. 200k will be hard these days unless it's smaller or older. We did the cash out thing in DC at the height of the boom there. We bought our house in Utah 18 months ago for $180k. Now the same house would probably sell for $230k

Also, when considering square footage, houses in Utah include unfinished basements in the calculations. Thus our DC townhouse was 1600 square feet, and our house here was listed at 2,400. Actual living space was still only 1600.

However we did upgrade from a 10x10 foot patio to a quarter acre yard, a garage, from 2 to 3 bedrooms. Last winter we finished the basement ourselves, adding another den, bathroom and fourth bedroom. So we do have 2400 square feet of livable space now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: