Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:21 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,230,972 times
It's so easy for people to judge, and say 'well, if you don't like it-leave', or to have the attitude that, 'that's the way it's done, so get used to it', or the ones with the blinders on who think 'it's perfect here, there must be something wrong with you'

No one really seems to want to understand just how different it is for people who move here. For me it seems to be an exercise in frustration on a daily basis. Nothing is like what I'm used to, and trying to adjust and adapt to so much change is very hard.

Yes, it's true, I never wanted to move here. But, life happens and, here I am.

But, give me a break , at least I am trying. Out of want or necessity, I have to deal with life here. If my opinions and observations are offensive, or a little too negative, that is not my intent. I try to give the benifit of the doubt, or ask for clarification on things that I don't understand.

Some things in this state, just really do not make sense to me, and yet when I ask "why "I get the looks like how dare I question it. And the comments that this isn't wherever you came from.....this is how we do it here. Did it ever occur to them that maybe there is just a better way to do it? It seems as if I'm having to defend myself, and there really should be no reason for it.

I don't think that small children under the age of 3 should be allowed to play outside in the street with no adults watching.....

I don't think that you have to stop your car completely in the middle of the road, to "turn" into a center divider, to then make your turn onto another street.....

I do think that as a potiental business customer, I should be treated in a respectful manner regardless of the fact that I am a woman.

I do think that if I am paying for a new driveway, and the way I want it done has already been agreed to in advance, along with the extra cost, then it should be done that way.

I do think it's rude for people to ask what religion I am. I also think it's rude to ask me what political party I am.

I don't think someone should try to have my daughter kicked out of a movie theather, because they thought "she didn't look old enough'.....

oh, wait......I'm complaining again......gonna be told to "just leave" again......

my bad

Old 09-10-2008, 12:38 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
I don't think that small children under the age of 3 should be allowed to play outside in the street with no adults watching.....
Just trying to lighten the mood...this is not a bust on the quote...

So 3 year olds playing in the street with adults watching is okay?

Now in all seriousness...that really bugs me too. My kids are quite a bit older and we will still go outside with them.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:10 PM

423 posts, read 1,532,365 times
Quote:
It's so easy for people to judge, and say 'well, if you don't like it-leave', or to have the attitude that, 'that's the way it's done, so get used to it', or the ones with the blinders on who think 'it's perfect here, there must be something wrong with you'

No one really seems to want to understand just how different it is for people who move here. For me it seems to be an exercise in frustration on a daily basis. Nothing is like what I'm used to, and trying to adjust and adapt to so much change is very hard.

But, give me a break , at least I am trying. Out of want or necessity, I have to deal with life here. If my opinions and observations are offensive, or a little too negative, that is not my intent. I try to give the benifit of the doubt, or ask for clarification on things that I don't understand.

Some things in this state, just really do not make sense to me, and yet when I ask "why "I get the looks like how dare I question it. And the comments that this isn't wherever you came from.....this is how we do it here. Did it ever occur to them that maybe there is just a better way to do it? It seems as if I'm having to defend myself, and there really should be no reason for it.

I do think it's rude for people to ask what religion I am. I also think it's rude to ask me what political party I am.
Well said !

When I first move into my new home here the neighbors did the same thing to me asking what my religion was and found that very offensive and really none of their business.

Well after telling them I wasn't a mormon they found no interest in me as a neighbor anymore.

Incidents similar to mine are the reason people leave UT. nothing worst when people make you feel inferior to them.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Just trying to lighten the mood...this is not a bust on the quote...

So 3 year olds playing in the street with adults watching is okay?

Now in all seriousness...that really bugs me too. My kids are quite a bit older and we will still go outside with them.
LOL....touche'.....

errr....it just drives me nuts the way parents don't watch their kids!!!! There are a lot of kids in this neighborhood, and since that tragic incident a couple of weeks back, the kids have gotten really good at getting out of the street, but the babies out there, 2 of them less than 2.....they don't know to move........and there is not an adult anywhere in sight to come get their baby....

Old 09-10-2008, 02:11 PM

401 posts, read 855,267 times
That is crazy.... Who in their right mind would let a child at such a young age be out of sight for even a minute.
That is all it takes is less than a minute for anything to happen.
This past summer, there was a one year old child that was found floating in the community pool. Luckily, there were two doctors that were swimming with their children and were able to perform CPR and save the child's life. The parents had put a 14 year old visiting cousin in charge of five kids (all under the age of 8) at the pool.
Then they got mad at the police a few days later for checking back up on their child to make sure all was OK. How ungrateful..... They are lucky that no charges were filed against them (that I know of).

Old 09-10-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
Well said !

When I first move into my new home here the neighbors did the same thing to me asking what my religion was and found that very offensive and really none of their business.

Well after telling them I wasn't a mormon they found no interest in me as a neighbor anymore.

Incidents similar to mine are the reason people leave UT. nothing worst when people make you feel inferior to them.
Yes! and Thank you!

With me though, it's not so much my neighbors, as it is people I meet out in stores, or restaurants....and even the lady in the library!!!

But, I will give credit to the people who work for Harmons, never have been asked a personal question or treated poorly. Hence the fact that I will drive 16 miles to shop there, as opposed to just going 3 miles down the road to Smiths.......

Old 09-10-2008, 02:47 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFrench View Post
That is crazy.... Who in their right mind would let a child at such a young age be out of sight for even a minute.
That is all it takes is less than a minute for anything to happen.
This past summer, there was a one year old child that was found floating in the community pool. Luckily, there were two doctors that were swimming with their children and were able to perform CPR and save the child's life. The parents had put a 14 year old visiting cousin in charge of five kids (all under the age of 8) at the pool.
Then they got mad at the police a few days later for checking back up on their child to make sure all was OK. How ungrateful..... They are lucky that no charges were filed against them (that I know of).
You would be surprised what people let their little kids do. They are practically babies and they are running amok throughout the neighborhoods. It is hard enough for me to let my 12 yo walk to her friend's house down the street.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,141,560 times
Quote:

I don't think that you have to stop your car completely in the middle of the road, to "turn" into a center divider, to then make your turn onto another street.....

I do think that as a potiental business customer, I should be treated in a respectful manner regardless of the fact that I am a woman.

I do think that if I am paying for a new driveway, and the way I want it done has already been agreed to in advance, along with the extra cost, then it should be done that way.

I don't think someone should try to have my daughter kicked out of a movie theather, because they thought "she didn't look old enough'.....

oh, wait......I'm complaining again......gonna be told to "just leave" again......

my bad
That is very true and a good post. However just because someone is negative about almost everything does not mean they have to complain about it constantly. Attitude counts for so much. Not in any way saying you do just that there are people that come here and seem to do that.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:38 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
[quote=faststeel;5200419]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post

Yeah, we're planning on it when we can...the fall would be a good time to visit? What would be the best itinerary to get the most out of it (we can probably spare a long weekend here and there)? Any good bed & breakfasts down there? Zion, Bryce, or Moab? Or would it be better to keep driving down to the Grand Canyon (never been there either)?
Fall would be an excellent time to visit. Just because its a little cooler. I have only been to Zions before and Moab. Moab isnt really by Zions. I think you could hit Zion and Bryce in a long weekend. Not sure about bed and breakfasts. I was recently in St. George and there are hotels galore.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 PM

702 posts, read 1,983,598 times
Quote:
wow....they actually deliver pizza to your house? You found a pizza place that delivers???? wow...

I am so jealous! I haven't had that kind of convience since I moved here.
Yeah pie place or somethign like that..lol..but i have to say what my street NUMBER IS...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah