U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:31 AM

126 posts, read 437,324 times

Advertisements

So much about Utah appeals to me, but the Mormon control does not. Are there cities in Utah that aren't controlled by Mormons?
Rate this post positively

Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 AM

56 posts, read 234,742 times
Tewhann-

I would say controlled by the Mormons doesn't quite have the right connotation to it. When I read it I laughed because I pictured some police state and it's not like that at all.

I would say that religion influences things quite a bit here, but its not that much different than some states like Kansas where you couldn't by beer/liquor on Sundays. There are also issues like abortions where the state is clearly on the conservative side of things.

Anyhow, to answer your question, Park City is definitely the place where people go in Utah when they want less of the LDS-style culture. It is pretty expensive. Salt Lake also has a lot of diversity, so that is a less expensive option.

One other thing ... there are some good points about the religious-nature of the city. Sundays are fabulous (many people in Church so skiing is a lot less crowded), the place is pretty clean, lots of family sort of activities, etc.

-askslc

Old 02-09-2007, 10:11 AM

610 posts, read 3,093,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
So much about Utah appeals to me, but the Mormon control does not. Are there cities in Utah that aren't controlled by Mormons?
In addition to Park City, consider Moab. It's very warm but nicely progressive - especially from a "river-rat" vantage.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:24 AM

378 posts, read 1,785,028 times
I want to go to a place that's not run by white people...oh wait lol Again replace the word "Mormon" with the names of a handful of other groups and you come across ignorant.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 AM

56 posts, read 234,742 times
Elder_Shawn-

I've seen the comments, replace Mormon with ... a few times and I think this is actually a pretty interesting discussion. I am going to start a new thread since this would be a little of of Tewhann's original discussion.

-askslc

Old 02-09-2007, 11:29 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,329,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
All das plazens endt Utah are undern das controllen of das Mormons. Der ist nine needen to fearen; das machiningunins undt das barbinvire are herein to ensurin du haft a gud timmen.

Your papers please.

Last edited by SergeantL; 02-09-2007 at 11:54 AM..

Old 02-09-2007, 11:46 AM

1,703 posts, read 4,835,716 times
Thanks for the laughs sergeantl! You are hillarious!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,329,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Thanks for the laughs sergeantl! You are hillarious!
Dream--

The only other option to laughing is crying, and I have seen enough of that to fill ten lifetimes. You are most welcome my friend.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:58 PM

16 posts, read 103,447 times
I told you so. I can allready see who is going to move into Utah. These are people who want to destroy the protectors of Utah. I am not LDS but realize that the LDS community is why Utah has remained so desireable. I am going to build my next house further East of the 15 to buy my self some time. I think it will take alot longer for the freak show to destroy these areas. I for one want nothing to do with your so called deversity because I have to experince it when I am in CA and it is really perversity. You guys need to watch Southern CA and Las Vegas news, it is insane.

I cant beleive how many post are about being afraid of LDS areas. It is the state of the LDS, get over it. Its kind of like CA has become a state of Mexicans, I now except it because it is reality. I can think of at least 20 other states that will supply you with an abundance of deversity. Utah is mom and apple pie country where Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts still thrive. Please keep your hands off of Utah and keep destroying your own freak show states.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:40 PM

7 posts, read 35,192 times
TDECK... Honestly.. you make my head hurt. I find your posts ignorant and illiterate. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you could find a better way to discuss things rather than just screaming about "mexicans" and other people ruining your world. Just because someone wants to know how much control the LDS have in Utah does not mean they wish to change it. It's just curiosity about a place they plan on making their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah