U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 01:20 PM

5 posts, read 10,402 times

Advertisements

my husband and I have a 4 year old son and three dogs. We are very drawn to the outdoor lifestyle of this area. We are on the east coast now but formerly lived in Colorado. We enjoy skiing, hiking, fly fishing, biking, etc...
i'm curious about the usual things; housing, schools, community, etc..
but also about how easy it is to "fit in" as a new resident. I'lk be looking for a teaching job either in a preschool or private school.
i would appreciate any advice, particularly from folks similar to us (40's professional married couple with kids)
Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 10:42 AM

53 posts, read 141,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandboys View Post
my husband and I have a 4 year old son and three dogs. We are very drawn to the outdoor lifestyle of this area. We are on the east coast now but formerly lived in Colorado. We enjoy skiing, hiking, fly fishing, biking, etc...
i'm curious about the usual things; housing, schools, community, etc..
but also about how easy it is to "fit in" as a new resident. I'lk be looking for a teaching job either in a preschool or private school.
i would appreciate any advice, particularly from folks similar to us (40's professional married couple with kids)
Thanks in advance!
I'm 37, married, with two kids. I love the Park City area. You're very lucky if you get to live there. It's very beautiful. You do feel like you're getting away, to the mountains. Good restaurants. A historic downtown. Lots of outdoor recreation possibilities. Beautiful. Lots of Olympic sights. People seem to be very health-conscious and outdoorsy there. Some nice, new architecture going on, too.

The community seems nice, the housing is one of the most expensive in Utah, but for good reason. I don't know about the schooling, since I don't live there.

If I could live there, I would. Who knows, maybe I will some day.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:55 PM

515 posts, read 2,242,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWariner View Post
I love the Park City area. You're very lucky if you get to live there. It's very beautiful. You do feel like you're getting away, to the mountains. Good restaurants. A historic downtown. Lots of outdoor recreation possibilities. Beautiful. Lots of Olympic sights. People seem to be very health-conscious and outdoorsy there. Some nice, new architecture going on, too.

The community seems nice, the housing is one of the most expensive in Utah, but for good reason. I don't know about the schooling, since I don't live there.

If I could live there, I would. Who knows, maybe I will some day.
I'll second all of this and I've heard the schools are good, as you would expect in a more affluent area.

Park City is a little slice of Heaven!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 10,402 times
thank you for your input!

Old 10-12-2008, 05:53 AM

293 posts, read 841,477 times
The wife and I considered Park City for retirement ... for all the reasons you mentioned ... then the reality set in:

1) Real estate is very, very high. Check the prices out soonest ... could be within your price range?

2) In season, the town exists to "service" the affluent ... it left me with the feel of a pure resort town, which we didn't care for.

We were more than a little disappointed ... but are looking at other towns in UT, and a couple places in CO.

YMMV ... good luck.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:10 PM

17 posts, read 76,958 times
Hey Dogs & Boys... We just moved into our place in Summit Park and love it. We looked all around the Park City area. Right now it's a buyers market so it's a great time to look for homes. The schools are growing so you'll find a job right away. There are several links under city data forum re: moving here. Check this one out. And best of luck: //www.city-data.com/forum/salt-...rk-city-2.html

Old 10-13-2008, 04:27 PM

9 posts, read 19,966 times
It's expensive there like the others said, but its very nice and very diverse.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:02 AM

17 posts, read 76,958 times
Default Local Newspaper for Boyz & Dogs

One more thing my soon-to-be-neighbor... Check out The Park Record on-line for local information. www.parkrecord.com It's specific to Park City and some of her surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>