Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 12:25 PM

72 posts, read 164,906 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband and I are looking to relocate out West (we currently live in Florida). I used to live in Fernley, NV when I was younger and miss living in an arid climate. After nearly 15 years, I am sick of the humidity here in FL. We have been looking at Idaho, but my husband is a mail carrier, so we are looking for mild winters and summers. I came across Moab here in the forum and have read through the threads already, but I do need to ask if there are any activities for children in Moab? (My children are 1, 3 and 15). What about childcare? I just want to make sure we are moving to a place that allows our children to have something to do. We love outdoors activities (hiking, fishing, camping, etc.) but we also enjoy indoor activities with our children (i.e., going to the library, etc.). We are not bar-type people, we are more into going out to dinner and renting movies to watch at home. One other concern I have, is how is the DSL service out there? I work from home and need a high-speed internet connection. If anyone could help me out with these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,460 times
Thumbs up Moab Rocks!

Everything you are asking about is available in Moab. Best small Library in the country, good restaurants, good people, quiet and graceful. a bit touristy in the spring. but exciting.! Hope this helps

Old 12-25-2008, 09:46 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Currently, I do not live in Moab, but in the past seven years, I have been there 15 times, for a total of about four months.
If you like camper or a hiker, not sure if there is a better place. Get a Jeep/Hummer or some other type of 4-wheel drive vehicle (and I do not mean AWD, there is a big difference), then go out camping in areas where you will not see another person for days.

The White Rim trail, inside Canyonlands has numerous campsites and all are great, but the better ones for fall and spring are right on the Green River (mosquitoes will drink you dry in the summer, so camp in the sites on higher ground in the hot summer months).

Thousands of acres of BLM land where you can just about camp anywhere; depends on that area of BLM land.

Just west is Capital Reef National Park, great place to camp, and take hikes.

I cannot explain in less than a million words, how fantastic the Moab area is for camping and/or hiking. It would take another million words to describe how close it is to other breathtaking areas such as Monument Valley in northern AZ, the Rockies, etc.

As for the people, they are great; not only to those who they believe are tourists, and that is the major industry in Moab, but to those who move there and setup residency. A very good friend moved there three years ago from Southern CA, and just loves the area, the people, and the weather.

If you are into photography at any level, the only bad part of the area will be the massive amounts of disc storage you will have to purchase to contain all your photos.

And, I am planning on moving there in the next few months, provided I can find employment, which can be hard in that area.

Good luck....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah