Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,037 times

Advertisements

I am moving soon to Utah Valley. I will be working in Provo and want a short commute since I have not enjoyed my 45 minute commute in the last two places we've lived.

Any insights from locals on schools in central Utah Valley? I will have children in each level (elementary, junior high, and high school). Some of my future colleagues have suggested Timpview and Lone Peak as good high schools / districts top live in. Is Lone Peak area too far to easily commute?

Thanks for your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 04:36 PM

421 posts, read 1,740,514 times
The commute from Provo to the Lone Peak area (Alpine/Highland/Cedar Hills/American Fork) would be about 30 minutes. Lone Peak is a great school, and I love the area around it. Timpview is also a great school, and that area of Provo is beautiful. Both places have higher than average housing costs, so take that into consideration. Timpanogos High School in Orem is also a good school. That would be a short commute. The only place I'd say to stay away from is Provo High School; there are good people there, but lots of problems, too. And don't go south to Springville. That school has issues as well.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:33 PM

24 posts, read 98,070 times
Another thing to take into consideration is - What types of programs do your kids enjoy? Pleasant Grove is pretty good for ballroom dancing, Timpview and Lone Peak usually have great boys athletic programs, I've heard the drama at Timpanogos is good and the band at American Fork is always invited to some kind of parade event in the nation (Rose Bowl for example).

I went to Timpview (10 years ago) and have to say I really enjoyed it. There were a lot of clicks the kids divided into, but I ran with a small group of 8-10 kids and we are still great friends today. As far as an education goes, there were a lot of opportunities to take AP classes if you wanted to. I got a few college credits my Jr. and Sr. years and had a bit of a head start completing college.

Hope that helps. I have a brother that just graduated and I could see what his thoughts are since things could have changed since I was last in school... although it doesn't feel like it was THAT long ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah