Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 39,779 times

Advertisements

I've been doing research on the national sex offender registeries and seems UT has a high number compared to other states. Is this because of state laws and what is/isn't considered a crime or is there a "hidden dark side" in UT? I know this might stir up some controversy, but it's there!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 10:31 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfr57 View Post
I've been doing research on the national sex offender registeries and seems UT has a high number compared to other states. Is this because of state laws and what is/isn't considered a crime or is there a "hidden dark side" in UT? I know this might stir up some controversy, but it's there!!
The problem with public sex offender information is that it does not tell you the actual offense. I have not looked at the raw data to which you refer, but you should ask these questions:

Is the data in total numbers?
Is the data on a per capita basis?

Information on the Uniform Crime Report (UCR) or in Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) data formats is listed both ways. Neither organization will list states in order of magnitude. You must look at each state and keep your own list and then place them in order from the most to the least.

Variances in numbers might be a matter of reporting. Although the Uniform Crime Report is allegedly “uniform,” there are variances in data between states. As an example: In California, “Indecent Exposure” is a “wobbler” offense; it can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony. Additionally, “Indecent Exposure” can be reduced to a lesser included offense, such as “Disorderly Conduct,” not unlike “Drunk in Public,” and not classified as a sex offense. In the case of Utah, “Indecent Exposure” ->may<- be a straight felony, or if it can be charged as a misdemeanor, it is still charged as a sex offense. As you can see, this would inflate numbers.

I would be interested in seeing where you obtained your data. I would be able to understand more if I could see the source. You have also piqued my curiosity, so I am going to dig into Utah’s Criminal Code and look at their charging protocols.

Last edited by SergeantL; 02-25-2007 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-25-2007, 10:59 AM

10 posts, read 39,779 times
Default Link for offenders

Here's the link to Ogden's sex offenders. Not saying I want to live in Ogden, but probably around that area. Where I live in AZ is more population, but ALOT less offenders.

http://www.familywatchdog.us/ShowMap.asp

Old 02-25-2007, 11:15 AM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,674 times
Quote:
Here's the link to Ogden's sex offenders. Not saying I want to live in Ogden, but probably around that area. Where I live in AZ is more population, but ALOT less offenders.

http://corrections.utah.gov/asp-bin/sexoffendersearchform.asp (broken link)

You can also search this by name and/or zip code. I don't know how Utah compares to other states, but from any search it is fair to say that there are a number of offenders and caution should be exercised.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:

OK, I took the statistics information from this site and placed it in an Excel spreadsheet and then collated the data. Utah ranks fourth in the number of registered sex offenders per million. So, either the state has more than its share of "Lester the Molesters," or there is a much more severe charging protocol in Utah.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:26 PM

12 posts, read 40,255 times
This really has us worried. We are basicly set to move there to ogden however this has given us 2nd thoughts. We are a family of soon to be 6. any info and insite would be MUCH apreacited.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsFamily View Post
This really has us worried. We are basicly set to move there to ogden however this has given us 2nd thoughts. We are a family of soon to be 6. any info and insite would be MUCH apreacited.

Go to the listed website and look at the data for California, Kansas, and Utah. As you can see, California has the lowest per capita rate, but it has slightly over eight times the total number of offenders when compared to Utah. I would feel much better in Utah. Furthermore, Kansas isn’t much better than Utah. Just because Utah is number four in the per capita category doesn’t mean there are great differences between states. The per capita rate in Kansas is slightly better because of a larger population base, yet the difference in the total number of offenders is inconsequential. Moving from Kansas to Utah is a wash in the sex offender category, as far as I’m concerned.

Now here are some insights. As I wrote previously, Utah may require registration for certain offenses, where other states may not. I can also tell you that the public registration criteria in Utah may be more stringent. In California, I know of registrants, who I absolutely believe should be listed on the public database, but they are not. This will decrease numbers. Also understand that not all registrants are rapist or child molesters. There are a number of lesser offenses that can result in court ordered registration. Finally, keep in mind that the willingness to report sexual predators may be heightened in Utah.

I can only tell you that it is my professional opinion—I've been an Oinker for 34 years—that you would be hard pressed to find a better place for kids than Utah. Just don't be foolish and believe all is well. Remember, even the Garden of Eden had its snake.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 AM

12 posts, read 40,255 times
hadnt thought of it that way. Thank you SergeantL. Thats what was getting us was the fact that it looked perfect for kids.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:49 PM

51 posts, read 235,616 times
No matter where you are- there are sex offenders and you must be extremely protective of your children. Molesters are everywhere, so just be sure to keep your kids close by and don't let them go on "play dates" at other kids' homes without knowing the parents well. And remember- many cases of child sexual abuse go unreported, so you never know if your neighbor is a molester that just hasn't been caught yet. I know I sound paranoid, but just because I am in Utah does not mean my kids are automatically safe. Just be viligant about where your kids are and who they are with.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:43 PM

27 posts, read 95,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Oinker for 34 years
Just gotta ask:
What is an "Oinker"? I'm moving to the Ogden area this coming Summer and if someone calls me an Oinker, I'd like to know if it is a bad thing or a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: